How long do you train for in a week?

I train an hour a day 6 days a week consisting of strength training and minimal cardio. I have a 500 caloric deficit I maintain and have lost 7 pounds in 6 weeks. What do you do? : )

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    It varies, but general aim is in the order of 5-8 hours of running, 2-3 hours of cycling and possibly an hour or so of resistance training pw.
  • nikitad123
    nikitad123 Posts: 49 Member
    It varies but I always train 3 hrs per week with my PT (strength/circuits/boxing/pad work etc) and then he makes me do 45mins-1hr cardio.
    I am now trying to add in an extra day of yoga/pilates (~30mins-1hr) and one day of strength/cardio circuit.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Somewhere between 7-10 hours, almost exclusively lifting.
  • ghostsport
    ghostsport Posts: 1 Member
    6 to 7 hours per week, power lifting and accessory work. No real cardio other than from the lifts. I went from 190 to 175 in about 3 months. Tracking intake. Fun!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2015
    Depends.

Right now I'm doing a combination training program for 3 half marathons this Spring and a full marathon in October. So basically I train a bit more each week except for planned rest weeks where there is a 50% drop that week. Last week that meant 3 hours 12 minutes of training totaling 16.5 miles. This week I should finish at around 3 hours 30ish minutes and 18 miles.

I am set at a 500 calorie deficit since I am overweight, wish to lose that. If I am hungry after some long running though, I allow myself to eat if necessary, so some days I break even on calories, no deficit. I don't mind.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    been doing a new lifting program, and its been quite a bit longer.
    6 days a week. 4 of those average in at about 90min, while the other 2 are a solid 2 hrs.

i suck at maths, so the answer is "too long" lol.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    7-8 hours
  • bingfit221
    bingfit221 Posts: 105 Member
    edited January 2015
    Ugh. 8 - 9 hours.

6 days a week averaging an hour an a half per workout
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    5 times a week doing lifting at up to 1 hour
    2 times per week doing HIIT cardio for up to 25 minutes

total is around 6-7 hours of exercise per week with average calorie burn of 400 calories per workout.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    5 to 6 hours of lifting a week, about 4 hours of pole dancing, at least a couple hours of swimming in the backyard on the weekends, and 2 to 3 hours of running. So I guess 13 to 15 hours a week. Doesn't feel like that much, it's all stress relief for me I'd miss any of it if I didn't do it. Oh and I have 4 kids and eat about 2600 cals a day.... been maintaining for almost 5 years, through two pregnancies.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    3 days of strength training (30-45 minutes each time). 3 days I run 3-5 miles (35-60 minutes each time). So 3-5 hours weekly. It's enough for me. If I feel like more for fun, I do it. If I'm not feeling it, I stick to the minimum.

It's workable, flexible, and sustainable for me. I can easily find time for this, can eat a decent amount of calories (I'm transitioning to maintenance--still losing at 1900, so I'll up to 2000 next week--woot!). I find it a great balance of my personal fitness goals, yet respectful of my family's schedule.
  • bluescholar
    bluescholar Posts: 5 Member
    Just getting started up again but, so far, just over 6 hours; 30/70 cardio/weights. Excited to go again tonight!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    'Bout five hours a week, give or take.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    3 days a week- I'd say an average of an 1.5-2 hours pers session- so 6 hours of lifting

I spend 10-15 hours dancing
    and usually 45 min once a week performing- which means much more high energy performance.

I try to do actual separate cardio 1x a week- and I have just recently started including HIIT workouts again.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    About 5 or 6 hours lifting.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    5-6 hours a week.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    6-8 hours a week.