Having dinner party

Options
anyone have ideas on what to serve so guests don't feel like they're on a diet?

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Serve what you would normally serve and focus on enjoying yourself/making your guests comfortable. Don't worry about one day out of hundreds.

Personally I do low cal at home and would hate to go to someone's house for more of the same
  • Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was thinking a roast but need side dish ideas
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    A roast is perfect and you can mix up the sides so that everyone feels satisfied. Try having one or two veggie side dishes (roasted brussel sprouts, green beans, broccoli) and maybe some roasted/mashed potatoes. That way, you and your guests can portion your plate to meet your needs.
  • ChiaGnome
    ChiaGnome Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    A roast sounds great! Maybe cook it with a bunch of veggies (carrots, onions, etc.) and offer them as the side in addition to a salad? Asparagus or roasted brussel sprouts are also great options. Have unsweetened ice tea as an option for drinks in addition to whatever else you want.

And have fun!
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    Do something buffet style, then if you are trying to avoid something don't eat it or have smaller portions.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    kheinl wrote: »
    I like dinner parties.

I'm doing one with the following menu:

Amuse bouche:
    Seared scallop on a melba round topped with a black soy foam and a sriracha pearl.

Course 1:
    arugula and frisee salad with a honey vinagrette and two small bites of pork belly confit.

Course 2:
    Ricotta gnocchi with brown butter, fried garlic chips, pea tendril oil, and dried egg yolk

Course 3:
    Torched standing rib roast, potato pave, and a horseradish beurre blanc.

Dessert:
    No dessert, because dessert makes you fat.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I like dinner parties.

Amuse bouche:
    Seared scallop on a melba round topped with a black soy foam and a sriracha pearl.

Course 1:
    arugula and frisee salad with a honey vinagrette and two small bites of pork belly confit.

Course 2:
    Ricotta gnocchi with brown butter, fried garlic chips, pea tendril oil, and dried egg yolk

Course 3:

Dessert:

love all of these ideas except the dessert one. Dessert is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Why would your guests feel like they were on a diet??

What would you have served guests before deciding you were going to lose weight?

You are inviting people over make them delicious food that you are proud of serving and they will enjoy eating. Not everyone around you must change because you're on a diet
  • dbmata
    Options
    I like dinner parties.

Amuse bouche:

Course 1:

Course 2:

Course 3:

Dessert:

lol, yeah. I'm just not a dessert making type.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I like dinner parties.

Amuse bouche:

Course 1:

Course 2:

Course 3:

Dessert:

I'll bring dessert if I'm invited
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like dinner parties.

Amuse bouche:

Course 1:

Course 2:

Course 3:

Dessert:

Can I come? I'll bring the dessert.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I like dinner parties.

Amuse bouche:

Course 1:

Course 2:

Course 3:

Dessert:

lol, yeah. I'm just not a dessert making type.
    Count me in since 3 other people will be bringing desserts.
  • xtiansalcedo
    xtiansalcedo Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Dessert:

Dessert in and of itself doesn't make you fat, frequent giant portions of it do. I lost 45 lbs. in 6 months, and had a single-serving bowl of ice cream after dinner pretty much every night while doing so. Not low-fat, either, I'm talking full-on Choco-Mint Chip or Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Like someone else above said, one night out of hundreds isn't going to make a difference. Eat what makes you happy at the party.

Your third course sounds awesome, by the way!
  • purplemystra
    purplemystra Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like dinner parties.

Amuse bouche:

Course 1:

Course 2:

Course 3:

Dessert:

Wow that is a very impressive menu. Are you a chef? I've only heard of those dishes on the Food Network. Sounds like a lovely dinner.
  • violetheaart
    violetheaart Posts: 4
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I like dinner parties.

Amuse bouche:

Course 1:

Course 2:

Course 3:

Dessert:

Dessert doesn't make you fat if you watch what you're doing. Don't be negative.

OP, you can hold your dinner party without the worry. Substitution is key. Most people don't notice if there is reduced calorie/fat or calorie/fat-free ingredients in recipes, as long as the flavor is there. I use Mrs Dash or herbs in place of extra salt, olive oil instead of butter, unflavored greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and crushed berries instead of jam/jelly on my toast.

Good luck with your party, I can already smell the deliciousness from here!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Dessert:

Dessert in and of itself doesn't make you fat, frequent giant portions of it do. I lost 45 lbs. in 6 months, and had a bowl of ice cream after dinner pretty much every night while doing so. Not low-fat, either, I'm talking full-on Choco-Mint Chip or Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Like someone else above said, one night out of hundreds isn't going to make a difference. Eat what makes you happy at the party.

srs?

vn1d3hywlj48.jpg
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I like dinner parties.

Amuse bouche:

Course 1:

Course 2:

Course 3:

Dessert:

Dessert doesn't make you fat if you watch what you're doing. Don't be negative.

OP, you can hold your dinner party without the worry. Substitution is key. Most people don't notice if there is reduced calorie/fat or calorie/fat-free ingredients in recipes, as long as the flavor is there. I use Mrs Dash or herbs in place of extra salt, olive oil instead of butter, unflavored greek yogurt instead of sour cream, and crushed berries instead of jam/jelly on my toast.

Good luck with your party, I can already smell the deliciousness from here!

If I was coming to your house as a guest for dinner and you served me fat free stuff as a substitute I would notice and would thank you for the invite and on the way home stop for the nearest fast food place to eat something.

These are people you invited over stop pushing your diet on them
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options

[/quote]
    Count me in since 3 other people will be bringing desserts.
    [/quote]

LOL! I was just thinking that!!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Heh, so I take it the menu is good. lol. ;)

For desserts, I'm actually looking at making a hot bailey's "ice cream" with some eggless chocolate meringues.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Heh, so I take it the menu is good. lol. ;)

For desserts, I'm actually looking at making a hot bailey's "ice cream" with some eggless chocolate meringues.

Yea the menu sounds delicious... dessert sounds pretty good too but now how am I getting an invite!