How do you get most of your protein

Options

Replies

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Lots of suggestions I can come back and reference thanks a bunch everyone.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Beef and chicken.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I eat protein with all of my meals (3) and sometimes with a snack (I occasionally have a snack, typically not). What I've found is that just eggs isn't enough with breakfast, so I also have some other source of protein--usually dairy, sometimes smoked salmon or leftover meat from dinner, occasionally both. My goal is 30+ grams at breakfast and occasionally I break 40. Then I have some kind of meat usually for lunch and dinner and an additional source of protein (more dairy usually, sometimes nuts also). Obviously I get miscellaneous protein from other sources too--I might have beans instead of meat (or with a smaller portion of meat) for lunch or dinner, and get protein from a variety of veggies, oatmeal or whole grains on occasion, and random other stuff. Doing this I usually hit close to my goal (120 grams, although I think that's more than I need). If I happen to have a Quest or Epic bar or yogurt for a snack that makes it easier, and I'd be less likely to have dairy with or after dinner.

Meat here includes fish, of course, because fish is meat. I eat quite a bit of fish, which is helpful, since the protein per calorie is usually pretty good. That said, I eat a lot more meat than I used to and have some mixed/uncomfortable feelings about it, although it does fit in with my taste preferences and what leads to a satiating diet for me remarkably well.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I eat chicken, turkey, salmon, tuna, eggs, egg whites, goat milk, goat milk yogurt, goat milk cheese, nut butters, nuts, seeds, quinoa, lentils, mushrooms, spinach, kale, peas, broccoli, sprouts, plant-based protein shakes, and beans. And even romaine lettuce has some protein.
  • tashaafrench
    tashaafrench Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks I'll use that list when I go shopping..
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    My strategy is to either eat a big container of fat free greek yogurt (Chobani and Fage both have excellent grams-protein-per-calorie ratios...IME, Chobani is more affordable) or a can of salmon as my daily "snack", and then not worry about it -- either is about 90 grams of protein in a bit over 500 calories (and lots of other goodness, besides), and my normal diet generally will get me the other 70 g in the remaining 1400 calories. Feel free to look at my diary.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    My strategy is to either eat a big container of fat free greek yogurt (Chobani and Fage both have excellent grams-protein-per-calorie ratios...IME, Chobani is more affordable) or a can of salmon as my daily "snack", and then not worry about it -- either is about 90 grams of protein in a bit over 500 calories (and lots of other goodness, besides), and my normal diet generally will get me the other 70 g in the remaining 1400 calories. Feel free to look at my diary.

That's a good cheat
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options

Be aware though that research has implied only being able to optimally absorb about 40g of protein at one sitting.

Feel free to look at my diary, I hit about 110 every day.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Th3Ph03n1x wrote: »
    Tofu... hadn't thought of that one thanks.

I was gonna say chicken gizzards but didn't want to gross you out. They are delish and packed with protein, flavor and not a lot of cavities.
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    How far below your target are you? If you are 20-30 grams below your target, try adding in small amounts of things throughout the day such as a couple extra egg whites with breakfast, a bit more chicken/beef with lunch or an extra glass of milk with dinner.
  • astrose00
    Options
    Premier protein shakes have 30g of protein and only 160 calories. I think the carbs are low too. I put in freezer until it's almost frozen. I swear the vanilla tastes like a shake from MickeyD's!!!
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »

I was gonna say chicken gizzards but didn't want to gross you out. They are delish and packed with protein, flavor and not a lot of cavities.

I actually like chicken gizzards. I blame my step dad.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Options
    How far below your target are you? If you are 20-30 grams below your target, try adding in small amounts of things throughout the day such as a couple extra egg whites with breakfast, a bit more chicken/beef with lunch or an extra glass of milk with dinner.

It looks like about 50 to 90 grams depending on the day.
  • astrose00
    Options

Don't blame him. Thank him! They are soooo good. If ever go broke I will still be able to afford me some gizzards!!!! Mmm, mmmm, mmm.
  • astrose00
    Options
    40% + of my calories come from protein so feel free to add me, too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    eggs
    chicken
    eggs
    greek yogurt
    eggs
    protein powder
    hard boiled eggs
    scrambled eggs
    bacon
    eggs
    steak
    eggs
    milk

did I mention eggs?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    bonniejo wrote: »

Be aware though that research has implied only being able to optimally absorb about 40g of protein at one sitting.

Which is OK...I can't eat that much "snack" in one sitting anyhow. Generally half mid-morning (post-workout, on lift days), and the other half mid-afternoon. Depends on when I'm peckish.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Options

Don't blame him. Thank him! They are soooo good. If ever go broke I will still be able to afford me some gizzards!!!! Mmm, mmmm, mmm.

Haha!
  • merfhur
    merfhur Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Lentils, tofu, tempeh, fake meat, soya protein powder, quinoa.
    Spot the vegan ha.
  • stevesfoods
    stevesfoods Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lentils, tofu, tempeh, fake meat, soya protein powder, quinoa.
    Spot the vegan ha.
    Yup, me too. And with spinach,black beans, Hemp milk and hemp seeds, peanut butter, whole wheat bread...the list is endless