1PM and you only have 300 calories left for the day. How would you spend them?

Options

Replies

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    LOL I'd go take a walk and earn some back. I'd starve!
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If it were me and I didn't want to be flexible with my calories and/or have time to get in another workout, I'd probably have some cottage cheese (about 90cals) and then make some protein fluff (casein, almond milk, a couple mix-ins, mixed until mousse consistency) about 200cals. Super filling. It's not for everyone, but it's an option :)
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Go work out vigorously for an hour! You'll be able to eat a normal dinner without guilt! And if you eat conservatively you might have enough wiggle room for an after dinner snack too! :)
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ummmmmmmm yeah. That's me today. Help?

Go to the gym then do some cardio ... now you have more calories ... enjoy dinner!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat normally for the rest of the day, log it , and move on....one day is not going to ruin progress...
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Workout and have baked fish and a serving of veges
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't starve yourself - that's not the answer - work out or just accept it for what it is - an occasional thing.
  • Tedebearduff
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    eat normally for the rest of the day, log it , and move on....one day is not going to ruin progress...

Actually it can and in my case does/ would ruin progress....just saying
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't starve yourself - that's not the answer - work out or just accept it for what it is - an occasional thing.

To be fair, eating your day's calories earlier on does not equal starving yourself. Some people do this deliberately (e.g. intermittent fasting). If you're eating 1500 calories, you're certainly not gonna starve!

Depends on the person. I also have a mental block about going over my day's calories, because I lose my willpower once I do ("oh well, I'm already over, so I might as well eat more"). I find it easier to stop once I reach my daily calories. Other people can eat more one day and less another and just balance out. Everyone's different.

But mathematically, no, it won't ruin your progress to go over by 100-200 calories every few months. It will slow it fractionally, but it's such a tiny fraction that it won't matter.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

no it doesn't in one day with anyone.... not any way possible.. sorry

• Tedebearduff
    Options

Oh okay forgot you're 100% right forgot you live in my body and not me ... thanks for the info!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Depends. If you are really hungry, eat a regular meal, if not keep it at a light snack. Maybe go on a walk or plan better for tomorrow and shave a couple hundred off of tomorrow to balance it.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Oh okay forgot you're 100% right forgot you live in my body and not me ... thanks for the info!

I don't have to live your body.. its logic and you know physics and stuff...
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I just had a 280 calorie lunch of Mediterranean quinoa salad on a bed of spinach/arugula, a whole can of tuna with hot sauce, and a giant handful of baby carrots. There's a picture in the "What do your meals look like" thread in Recipes. It's an enormous plate, it was delicious, I am full and satiated, and it was only 280 calories. So... right now, I'm thinking I'd do that again!

Otherwise I'd just go pretty generic. Six ounces of chicken breast roasted plain or pan-fried plain (meaning no oil, not no seasonings), two generous cups of steamed or roasted broccoli. Can of tuna with a tiny sprinkle of cheese, stuffed into a tomato and broiled; side of baby carrots, cucumber slices, and pepper strips. Deli turkey sandwich on a sandwich thin with half a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (watch your portions and this can come in around 170 calories) with a side-salad dressed in flavored vinegar. Etc. A 300-calorie dinner can sometimes be boring, but you can get a lot of volume, nutrition, and satisfaction out of it anyway.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Going over your goal by a few hundred calories for ONE day will not ruin progress. It's mathematically impossible.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If it were 1PM and I only had 300 calories left for the day, I would eat like I normally do and accept the fact that I'm going to be over my calorie goal.

I would also get a workout in and try to burn between 300-400 calories.

One day won't kill me (or anyone else for that matter).
  • jeanette526
    jeanette526 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If success were easy, we'd all be a size 4. If hubby brings home a big meal for the both of you and you "don't refuse" then you set yourself up for the later problem. You have to forgive yourself. I can't help but comment on the hubby bringing food in; if my hubby did that I'd be a little upset with her. If your hubby were quitting smoking would you bring home a lovely new lighter for him? Just saying....Read my blog about tension in the household and keeping your friends close but your enemies closer. :)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    If your hubby were quitting smoking would you bring home a lovely new lighter for him?

That's different. Quitting smoking means no more smoking. Quitting overeating doesn't mean quitting food.

Food is always going to be on offer. It's okay to eat it. It's not evil. You don't have to beat yourself up. Just learn to eat smaller portions and forgive yourself the occasional lapse.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Those days always suck.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Going over your calories now and then isn't a crisis, it'll just slow your weight loss a little that week.

Let's say I have a 500 calorie deficit each day. I go over by 250 today. I still have a 250 calorie deficit that day. It's still contributing to me losing this week, just less than 1/10th of a pound difference in pure numbers.

Going over once in a while is ok. Just don't do it so often that you're impacting your progress.