*RANT* Sugar, sugar, sugar!

Options

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    nope- I'm with you. We have I think reached a logical and reasonable consensus. (WOOT- think that's a big thing on MFP!)

I personally wouldn't say "bad"- only because I - in my own world- like to move away from terms like "junk" unhealthy etc etc etc- but yes- I can understand how it's something someone would avoid because it's bad in a broader sense - and why they would say- I can't do sugar in X, Y Z form- it's bad for me."

I would hope- also for them they would understand- or begin to understand and move toward a healthy way of dealing with that so they could engage with said trouble food in am more moderate fashion. hope being the operative word- and understand that fundamentally the food is not bad for them on a physical level.

That being said- I also understand the need to separate from things you have an unhealthy relationship with and also to use words that people who don't engage in these types of topics will understand.... so - to a completely generic- cold conversation if someone asks me what I eat- I'll typically say I eat in moderation- count calories and I make sacrifices for junk food.

Now- I don't honestly think it's junk food- but it's easier than explaining- it's a higher calorie price and it means I'm going to be hungry- or doing some extra running for it- but I don't inherently think it's junk- sometimes it's just easier for conversation to say that.

Awesome -- I'm with you on that, too. Thanks for the conversation!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    natural does not automatically mean better.

Are we talking about food? Can you give an example of where this would fit?

my first question would be, what is unnatural food?

It would have to be solely made from organic compounds not found in nature. For the life of me, I can't think of one, even though I'm sure tofurkey might be close.

Why would food have to be solely made from organic compounds not found in nature to be unnatural? Seems like any type synthetic, artifical or man-altered component would make it unnatural.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options

Actually people chimed in her to ask her WHY is she cutting and to tell her in reality, it's not necessary unless you have some specific medical reasons for doing so.

Sugar is no more the devil then any other specific nutrient ingredient.

To be honest, I'd probably report this post if I had the ability. Your attack on others while not that bad in MY opinion, I've received a warning for less.

I think the end game for me is that I've successfully dealt with my sugar problem. I used to binge on sweet foods; now I don't. I don't have a medical condition that required me to reduce my sugar, but I did have a self-control problem. Once I reduced my refined sugar intake, I no longer had a self-control problem.

When you say you've received a warning, do you mean someone has actually sent you a message in your inbox? I'm not sure how the system works; people talk about getting warnings or points but I've never seen them, and plenty of my posts have been flagged.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Actually people chimed in her to ask her WHY is she cutting and to tell her in reality, it's not necessary unless you have some specific medical reasons for doing so.

Sugar is no more the devil then any other specific nutrient ingredient.

To be honest, I'd probably report this post if I had the ability. Your attack on others while not that bad in MY opinion, I've received a warning for less.

I think the end game for me is that I've successfully dealt with my sugar problem. I used to binge on sweet foods; now I don't. I don't have a medical condition that required me to reduce my sugar, but I did have a self-control problem. Once I reduced my refined sugar intake, I no longer had a self-control problem.

When you say you've received a warning, do you mean someone has actually sent you a message in your inbox? I'm not sure how the system works; people talk about getting warnings or points but I've never seen them, and plenty of my posts have been flagged.

It's fine to state what you did in order to combat your personal problem with sugar. But to arbitrarily assign some moral value like "bad" or "evil" and then proclaim this to everyone beyond yourself, that's where the problem begins. But you know what? I can't really blame you. This SITE has articles advising how "bad" sugar is. Which is stupid when you think about it
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Context would be needed to do that I would think.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

It would have to be solely made from organic compounds not found in nature. For the life of me, I can't think of one, even though I'm sure tofurkey might be close.

Why would food have to be solely made from organic compounds not found in nature to be unnatural? Seems like any type synthetic, artifical or man-altered component would make it unnatural.

Wouldn't that include any cooked food? Because by definition it's altered by man-applied heat? Surely that's more inclusive than intended?
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The op could choose other berries for her morning smoothies...One cup of strawberries or blackberries are between 5 - 7 grams.

Bananas have got to be the highest fruit out there! That's why people who need to gain weight eat those.

"Bananas are basically nature's cupcakes" as someone posted earlier...
  • blazterx
    blazterx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Focus on calories and macro nutrients and don't sweat the details.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

Wouldn't that include any cooked food? Because by definition it's altered by man-applied heat? Surely that's more inclusive than intended?

Technically, yes, unless it was cooked by naturally occuring heat. But the ingredients could still be natural.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

steak-chocolate- snickers- granola

processing anything doesn't mean it's healthier or better.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think the thing to watch is "added" sugars, not natural sugars...not sure if on 9 pages of responses, someone has already mentioned this...also as a note, bananas because of their high sugars, half is considered a portion.....
    I can sympathize with your frustration, as I too, watch when I can, the dreaded sugars.....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

What about the people that don't have diabetes? Because it seems like every time a sugar conversation comes up we hear "In diabetics and insulin resistant" but what about the non?

Non Diabetic people stay out of Sugar Rant thread. Simple.

Life is not complicated. One can make it complicated and stressful by all means but actually it's not
    Simple Definition of Life = <3

Does that mean the OP should stay out of her own thread? I don't recall her having diabetes.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Ribena145 wrote: »
    I think the thing to watch is "added" sugars, not natural sugars...not sure if on 9 pages of responses, someone has already mentioned this...also as a note, bananas because of their high sugars, half is considered a portion.....
    I can sympathize with your frustration, as I too, watch when I can, the dreaded sugars.....

Nope, no one has said that....

:insertsarcasm:

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Ribena145 wrote: »

You've never participated in an MFP sugar thread, have you?
  • bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    *disclaimer - I have not read the responses to this thread, but I can tell you as a diabetic, the carbs you consume are a much more important number than the sugar by itself. I am not sure how MFP calculates sugar but 27g is not nearly enough for them to limit you to. You should consume approx 45g carbs per meal and for me MFP calculates enough into my 1300 calorie goal to allow this.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

What about the people that don't have diabetes? Because it seems like every time a sugar conversation comes up we hear "In diabetics and insulin resistant" but what about the non?

Non Diabetic people stay out of Sugar Rant thread. Simple.

Life is not complicated. One can make it complicated and stressful by all means but actually it's not
    Simple Definition of Life = <3
    Why should we? Is this suddenly a diabetic forum? If someone is ranting about sugar, why does it give only diabetics the right to chime in?

If that's the logic then should all diabetics stay out of non diabetic disorder threads?

Like I said to avoid unnecessary headaches. I would not bother going in a "I want to be gluten free because gluten is bad! Rant Rant Rant" forum. But again that's just me.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    *disclaimer - I have not read the responses to this thread, but I can tell you as a diabetic, the carbs you consume are a much more important number than the sugar by itself. I am not sure how MFP calculates sugar but 27g is not nearly enough for them to limit you to. You should consume approx 45g carbs per meal and for me MFP calculates enough into my 1300 calorie goal to allow this.

I like all the people white knighting diabetics, but the actual diabetics are telling the OP to not track sugar and focus only on carbs...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Lezavargas wrote: »
    I dont concern myself too much when its naturally occuring sugar, i'd just track your refined and stay under in your calories, just my opinion though :)

hmmm so one form of sugar is better than another???

care to expound on that...?

I remember seeing a thread that would probably clear up a lot of the common misunderstandings about foods

hmmmm where did that thread go....