*RANT* Sugar, sugar, sugar!

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues with sugar, don't worry about it.
    like. I want to add, natural sugar (fruit and veggie) is less of a concern than processed sugar (anything that doesnt come off a tree)

So strawberries are bad because they don't come from a tree?
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to that if it's from fruits or something that's not processed sweets and junk food... I eat a lot of fruit, mostly berries. I don't even track sugar because I don't want to constantly see it in the red.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    It's worth noting what kind of sugar that is (glucose, fructose, galactose?) The main thing you want to keep an eye on is the fructose from added sugars and processed foods. I am all about lowering my fructose intake. In fact your post caught my eye because I just started a group on here "Fructose Free People" if anyone wants to support eachother and discuss keeping sugar intake down.
  • x_Minerva_x
    x_Minerva_x Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Why not try Almond Breeze unsweetened almond/coconut milk blend with some chocolate whey protein (so yummy, and energizing for a quick breakfast!) I suggest using Six Star Pro Whey Protein Powder. It's very low in sugar, high in protein, but lacking in the fat department. Albeit, it does keep you full for the day :)

As far as keeping your overall sugars down, you might want to start eating more green fibrous veggies, and steer clear of sugary starches.

ingredients for shake:
    http://www.amazon.com/Six-Star-Nutrition-Protein-Chocolate/dp/B002UNEGBE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1421354659&sr=8-3&keywords=whey+protein

http://almondbreeze.com/?navid=530&pid=532
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I only count the processed/added sugar and try to keep that around 30 grams. I do not count sugar from fruit in that total because the sugars in fruit are delivered with lots of fiber, which slows the delivery of sugar to the blood stream. MFP only gives you the total without differentiating, so I just go back over the day's food log and calculate the processed/added sugars in my head.

Here's a good article to read. Note they are talking about the fructose in corn syrup. They are not including fruit in their assertions (which are based on cited research):
    Why Is Fructose Bad For You?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Track fiber.

Why?

IMO, it, along with tracking carbs, is a better indication that you are eating an overall healthy diet than tracking sugar (I am tracking sugar at the moment just out of curiosity, but usually track something else instead, I always track fiber).

My reasoning is that you are counting sugars as part of carbs anyway, so you can avoid going over on carbs without tracking sugar. By tracking fiber you are also, essentially, tracking foods that are often considered "good carbs" (although I personally would not use that term). This includes more nutrient dense carb-based foods like fruit and veggies, beans (which also provide protein), and whole grains. So if you are under on carbs and meeting your fiber requirement, you are probably not overeating sugar, regardless of the total grams.

The problem with just tracking sugar, unless you have a health reason to do so, is that MFP does not distinguish between added and inherent sugars and the reasons for the lower limits (like 25%) is (a) fear of overconsuming calories (which you know you aren't if you are tracking) and (b) to avoid consuming lots of low nutrient, high calorie foods (i.e., fruit isn't the issue). Thus, the logic behind the limit does not provide a reason to limit fruit, just to avoid some silly sugar limit.

I also think that percentage recommendations are something of a problem when people are on restricted calories, but that's a broader topic. (It is why the protein goal is often too low.)
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Talk about someone creating an argument from nothing.

"Hey I have the same Ford"
    "No you don't mine is different"
    "No its the same year, 2014 right"
    "Yea but mine was made in a California factory yours is from Kentuky. So while they might be the same they are so very different"

"Hey I have this glass of milk!"

"Hey I processed it and made this cheese!"

"Milk and cheese are the same thing!"
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    I only count the processed/added sugar and try to keep that around 30 grams. I do not count sugar from fruit in that total because the sugars in fruit are delivered with lots of fiber, which slows the delivery of sugar to the blood stream. MFP only gives you the total without differentiating, so I just go back over the day's food log and calculate the processed/added sugars in my head.

Here's a good article to read. Note they are talking about the fructose in corn syrup. They are not including fruit in their assertions (which are based on cited research):

Fruit comes with a lot of fiber? What about a banana or a mango?

Also, Lustig? Really? It's like you Lustig fans deliberately ignore this following link and never address it.

I see your fear mongering Lustig and raise you Alan.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Eh. Mangos and bananas have a decent amount of fiber and really, does anyone get fat from fruit? For most of us this is a common sense thing: avoid or at least ration refined and processed foods, especially sugar. Almost every sensible diet plan out there, from lowish carb to Dean Ornish to WW limits sugary and starchy food. Unless you're diabetic or are only trying to take off a few pounds worrying about fruit intake is a waste of time.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It looks like the MFP guidelines are in line with the new draft recommendations from the WHO. I would probably shoot for the max of 25g (particularly since you have PCOS) but really try not to go over 50g to stay with the guidelines.

"WHO’s current recommendation, from 2002, is that sugars should make up less than 10% of total energy intake per day. The new draft guideline also proposes that sugars should be less than 10% of total energy intake per day. It further suggests that a reduction to below 5% of total energy intake per day would have additional benefits. Five per cent of total energy intake is equivalent to around 25 grams (around 6 teaspoons) of sugar per day for an adult of normal Body Mass Index (BMI).

The suggested limits on intake of sugars in the draft guideline apply to all monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) that are added to food by the manufacturer, the cook or the consumer, as well as sugars that are naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit concentrates."

But note that this only includes "added sugars" and a few things that are basically considered "added sugars" (like honey). It would not include OP's banana.

That's because the reasoning that WHO used is not about the harms of sugar itself, but a concern that "added sugars" were associated with overconsumption of calories and low nutrient items (which they don't consider to apply to fruit and dairy).
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Seems like you're arguing with yourself. That's no healthy.

Come on, that's the best you can do?

I seriously thought you would immediately find the error in my analogy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Peque1130 wrote: »
    So according to MFP, I should only take in 27g of sugar a day.

Re-run your goal calcs, that sounds like the old number, a year ago it was changed to 15% of calories so you should have at least 45g.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1181259

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    they don't just pull it out of thin air and fecal matter- the actual sugar comes from somewhere- just because it's refined doesn't mean it's bad- thank god- or no one would wear diamonds- or wear clothes.

If it means nobody wears clothes then I'm all for it :wink:

Nobody?? Seriously? I have seen some people that I most definitely never, ever, ever want to see without clothes. :s
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    gandalf-deadpool-you-shall-not-pass-gif.gif

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please contribute the topic (the one the OP posted), or move on without posting. If you're just in here because you saw the word sugar and thought "oh goody, another chance to dredge up old arguments with the same posters I always argue with about this topic, take cheap shots at each other, report the other person for retaliating to my insult, then needless flag everything!", may I suggest doing the following from the comfort of your home, office, or mobile device instead:

A56GCtS.gif

1081.gif

computer-smash-other-guys-Mark-Wahlberg-angry.gif
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    LaarainNYC wrote: »
    does anyone get fat from fruit?

They do, a 280 lb vegan on TV this week got through 1,000 calories from fruit by mid morning.
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    LaarainNYC wrote: »
    socalkay wrote: »

Fruit comes with a lot of fiber? What about a banana or a mango?

Also, Lustig? Really? It's like you Lustig fans deliberately ignore this following link and never address it.

I see your fear mongering Lustig and raise you Alan.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Eh. Mangos and bananas have a decent amount of fiber and really, does anyone get fat from fruit? For most of us this is a common sense thing: avoid or at least ration refined and processed foods, especially sugar. Almost every sensible diet plan out there, from lowish carb to Dean Ornish to WW limits sugary and starchy food. Unless you're diabetic or are only trying to take off a few pounds worrying about fruit intake is a waste of time.

What about the tons of us on this site that have been successful while not limiting processed sugar, do we lack this common sense you speak of?

Mango 336g
    50g of sugar
    5g of fiber

Banana Medium
    27g of sugar
    3.1g of fiber

Doesn't seem like much fiber to me.

It's a decent amount. Not great--berries and apples are much better-- but I really doubt most of us have issues with bananas and mangos. I'm not going to sit down and binge eat bananas or mangos. Put me in front of a pile of cookies and all bets are off.

I'm not assaulting your common sense. If you can lose weight without worrying about added sugar, great. Every respectable diet out there limits processed sugar/refined carbs. Most--even Atkins--allow fruit.