*RANT* Sugar, sugar, sugar!

Options

Replies

• exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sugar is hard for me too. I started with a serious sugar addiction. I choose to look at sugar like this: I minimize adding sugar, if I do add sugar I try to use "raw" sugar or honey. I don't knowingly use artificial sweeteners, I think they are bad for my own reasons. I don't knowingly eat anything with high fructose corn syrup, I also believe it is bad. I have thrown out all of my white refined sugar in the cupboard. What's left? Natural sugars that occur in things like fruits and veggies. My body has learned to crave these things now that I have mostly eliminated the above mentioned. I feel this is a good "compromise" on the sugar subject and therefore do not track it. Good Luck!
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I pay attention mostly to total calories. Too many calories is what makes you overweight which in turn is the cause of or what exacerbates many health problems. Get your calories under control first and foremost and then worry about macros and micros - or just don't bother with the latter like me. There's enough other things to worry about in life.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    As stated, all sugars are just carbs. Track your carbs and don't worry about sugars.

That's my opinion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Peque1130 wrote: »
    wkwebby wrote: »
    I thought that too initially. Instead, I switched out my banana for blueberries or something way less sweet in the morning. I still will have lots of sugar if I do a smoothie in the morning, so I ultimately had to stop. But I am prediabetic, so I needed to watch my sugars. Unless you have medical issues, this shouldn't really be a problem for you.

I have also been pre-diabetic and have PCOS so I do "try" to eat less sugar, but it isn't my main concern when losing weight because the sugar I do consume is mostly natural, so I figure shouldn't be as bad as let's say, a bag of M&M's...

From a micronutrient standpoint this would be true, but from a blood glucose level standpoint it is not. With insulin resistance I think you'll find the recommendation to be lower carbs overall and focus on slowing digestion when eating carbs is most important.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I heard that if you go over 25g of sugar Liam Neeson will come round and kill everyone.

Or you could just not worry about it.

If I hit 25 exactly will Liam Neeson come round and not kill anyone?

Just asking. For a friend.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I heard that if you go over 25g of sugar Liam Neeson will come round and kill everyone.

that, my friend, is an EXCELLENT question.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It looks like the MFP guidelines are in line with the new draft recommendations from the WHO. I would probably shoot for the max of 25g (particularly since you have PCOS) but really try not to go over 50g to stay with the guidelines.

"WHO’s current recommendation, from 2002, is that sugars should make up less than 10% of total energy intake per day. The new draft guideline also proposes that sugars should be less than 10% of total energy intake per day. It further suggests that a reduction to below 5% of total energy intake per day would have additional benefits. Five per cent of total energy intake is equivalent to around 25 grams (around 6 teaspoons) of sugar per day for an adult of normal Body Mass Index (BMI).

The suggested limits on intake of sugars in the draft guideline apply to all monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) that are added to food by the manufacturer, the cook or the consumer, as well as sugars that are naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit concentrates."

I'm trying to limit the amount of sugar in my diet - in my opinion there does appear to be enough of a relationship between sugar consumption and diabetes/metabolic syndrome disease (from an epidemiological standpoint) for me to try and make some changes.

It will be interesting to see what the final guidelines say when they are published.

I have PCOS and I'm over 100g of sugar probably every day, a good deal of it coming from my apple, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, etc.

Does that mean I get multiple Liam Neesons?
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to get backlash for saying this, but opinions are like butts, everyone has them...
    Anyway, if you have PCOS and are pre-diabetic, you might want to research a ketogenic diet. It's essentially eating 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carb. This means keeping carbs to about 20g or a day. Its possible if fruit is eliminated and food it watched. It's been proven to help both ailments.

Again, it's an opinion. Do the research. Or don't and ignore this post.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Nope. He'll phone you, tell you about his special skills, and give you the chance to stop. I think you know what'll happen if you don't.

Good Luck.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    brenstar05 wrote: »
    Remember that there is a big difference between natural sugar and refined sugar... I generally subtract the natural sugars from my total at the end of the day. Yes, the red number is annoying, but if you give up fruits because of the sugar content, you will be missing out on other great nutrients. I generally try to keep my refined sugar under the MFP recommendation and don't worry about the natural sugars, like those from fruits and veggies.
    No there isn't. Sugars are sugars.

Yes there is. Natural sugar is created by nature. It exists in relationship to other nutrients.

5ixj6y8vgcm5.jpg

Refined sugar is created in a sugar factory. It no longer exists in relationship to other nutrients.

ncp3ymd5klms.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sshepro wrote: »
    I know I'm going to get backlash for saying this, but opinions are like butts, everyone has them...
    Anyway, if you have PCOS and are pre-diabetic, you might want to research a ketogenic diet. It's essentially eating 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carb. This means keeping carbs to about 20g or a day. Its possible if fruit is eliminated and food it watched. It's been proven to help both ailments.

Again, it's an opinion. Do the research. Or don't and ignore this post.
    Losing weight in general has also been shown to help both ailments. As well as a moderate decrease in the amount of carbs.

Keto may help some people, others may find it overly restrictive. If people want to consider it, they should do the research first, I agree.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    brenstar05 wrote: »
    Remember that there is a big difference between natural sugar and refined sugar... I generally subtract the natural sugars from my total at the end of the day. Yes, the red number is annoying, but if you give up fruits because of the sugar content, you will be missing out on other great nutrients. I generally try to keep my refined sugar under the MFP recommendation and don't worry about the natural sugars, like those from fruits and veggies.

No there isn't. Sugars are sugars.

Yes there is. Natural sugar occurs naturally. Refined sugar is refined.

If you want to argue that they are digested exactly the same way, that's a different story.

giggle. chuckle.

wait... laugh.

wait- where do you think refined sugar comes from ultimately?
    -
    And where do you get natural sugar- you eat it right off a sugar cane branch??
  • Peque1130
    Peque1130 Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    As stated, all sugars are just carbs. Track your carbs and don't worry about sugars.

That's my opinion.

Interestingly enough, I haven't gone over my carbs since I started tracking about a month ago...
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here's are two more pretty pictures of the Baltimore sugar factory:

3qev7d11roxj.jpg

fwrlygrentop.jpeg

• JoRocka
    Options
    they don't just pull it out of thin air and fecal matter- the actual sugar comes from somewhere- just because it's refined doesn't mean it's bad- thank god- or no one would wear diamonds- or wear clothes.
  • PaiPug
    PaiPug Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Track fiber.

Why?
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Here's are two more pretty pictures of the Baltimore sugar factory:

3qev7d11roxj.jpg

fwrlygrentop.jpeg
    Here I see two very beautiful pictures of a sugar factory. So?

If refined sugar is made in factories, can you give me a recipe?

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So you don't spaz out and post ridiculous things when you notice that you've gone over your daily sugar intake.
    And, fiber helps the poops. :p
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Track fiber.

Why?

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ooh, can I play? Here is another picture of where sugar comes from!

https://stephenleahy.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/sugar-cane-field-oz-rslpix1.jpg
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    they don't just pull it out of thin air and fecal matter- the actual sugar comes from somewhere- just because it's refined doesn't mean it's bad- thank god- or no one would wear diamonds- or wear clothes.

If it means nobody wears clothes then I'm all for it :wink: