Options

Replies

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    brenstar05 wrote: »
    Remember that there is a big difference between natural sugar and refined sugar... I generally subtract the natural sugars from my total at the end of the day. Yes, the red number is annoying, but if you give up fruits because of the sugar content, you will be missing out on other great nutrients. I generally try to keep my refined sugar under the MFP recommendation and don't worry about the natural sugars, like those from fruits and veggies.

No there isn't. Sugars are sugars.

Yes there is. Natural sugar occurs naturally. Refined sugar is refined.

If you want to argue that they are digested exactly the same way, that's a different story.

giggle. chuckle.

wait... laugh.

wait- where do you think refined sugar comes from ultimately?
    -
    And where do you get natural sugar- you eat it right off a sugar cane branch??

Most "natural" foods that we eat are actually the end result of intensive selective breeding over the course of the last several millennia. Mankind has dramatically altered the plants and animal we consume. Animals are meatier and fattier. Fruits are larger and more sugary. Nuts and vegetables have been bred to eliminate the naturally occurring tannins and other inedible and/or poisonous parts.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Huh. I can't do photos from my iPad. The Struggle is real.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Remember that there is a big difference between natural sugar and refined sugar... I generally subtract the natural sugars from my total at the end of the day. Yes, the red number is annoying, but if you give up fruits because of the sugar content, you will be missing out on other great nutrients. I generally try to keep my refined sugar under the MFP recommendation and don't worry about the natural sugars, like those from fruits and veggies.

If you want to argue that they are digested exactly the same way, that's a different story.

giggle. chuckle.

wait... laugh.

-

Most "natural" foods that we eat are actually the end result of intensive selective breeding over the course of the last several millennia. Mankind has dramatically altered the plants and animal we consume. Animals are meatier and fattier. Fruits are larger and more sugary. Nuts and vegetables have been bred to eliminate the naturally occurring tannins and other inedible and/or poisonous parts.

and no one freaks
    peter56765 wrote: »

giggle. chuckle.

wait... laugh.

-

out about that... so yeah. normal is as normal does. we've been tampering with foods for hundreds of years. no one cared.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    they don't just pull it out of thin air and fecal matter- the actual sugar comes from somewhere- just because it's refined doesn't mean it's bad- thank god- or no one would wear diamonds- or wear clothes.

If it means nobody wears clothes then I'm all for it :wink:

YES
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Part of the reason why this boils down to semantics, in my opinion, is that people rarely take the time to actually explain what they mean. "Sugar is sugar" is a statement that is factually incorrect both at a chemical and metabolic level (e.g., fructose and glucose follow different metabolic pathways in the digestive cycle), but from a dietary standpoint, is closer to correct when used as an instructive mechanism towards meal planning.

I think there are some pretty interesting and informative discussions that can be had -- for example, people throw around the "unless you have a medical condition" caveat, which typically seems to refer to diabetes or PCOS, but might leave out the pre-diabetic or "obese with insulin resistance", which I'd guess is a not insignificant set of those who find themselves in the obese/morbidly obese range.

Multiple weight loss methods work. Some people find a certain one easier to maintain. Some people think it's like pulling teeth. Cue flame wars, because the internet.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    they don't just pull it out of thin air and fecal matter- the actual sugar comes from somewhere- just because it's refined doesn't mean it's bad- thank god- or no one would wear diamonds- or wear clothes.

Who in this thread said refined sugar was bad?
  • DeWoSa
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Ooh, can I play? Here is another picture of where sugar comes from!

https://stephenleahy.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/sugar-cane-field-oz-rslpix1.jpg

Natural sugar at it's finest.
  • JoRocka
    Options

If it wasn't such an issue- we wouldn't be having the discussion of why your body processes them differently and who different "natural" sugar is vs table sugar I add to my baking.

But you seem to be okay with it- and also continue to change your posts... you go ahead and try to cook some cookies with those apples you posted and let me know how that works out for you.
  • DeWoSa
    edited January 2015
    Options
    PearlAng wrote: »
    Here's are two more pretty pictures of the Baltimore sugar factory:

3qev7d11roxj.jpg

fwrlygrentop.jpeg
    Here I see two very beautiful pictures of a sugar factory. So?

If refined sugar is made in factories, can you give me a recipe?

Herrspoon said there was no difference between natural sugar and refined sugar. There is a huge difference between the two. One is produced in nature and one is produced in a factory.

Here's a link explaining how to refine sugar. It's not quite a recipe, but if you have a chemistry background, you might be able to refine your own sugar.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    it's still fundamentally sugar. refining just changes it's form and how you can apply it and use it and removing impurities.

it's still sugar.
  • DeWoSa
    edited January 2015
    Options

If it wasn't such an issue- we wouldn't be having the discussion of why your body processes them differently and who different "natural" sugar is vs table sugar I add to my baking.

But you seem to be okay with it- and also continue to change your posts... you go ahead and try to cook some cookies with those apples you posted and let me know how that works out for you.

Slow down, there, slick. No one in this thread has said a thing about the body processing sugar differently.

Natural sugar occurs in nature and refined sugar is made in a factory. Those are two very different things.

Are you disagreeing with that? Do you think that sugar cubes grow on trees?

eta: I do need to use that preview more. posting then editing is a problem.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

3qev7d11roxj.jpg

fwrlygrentop.jpeg

Herrspoon said there was no difference between natural sugar and refined sugar. There is a huge difference between the two. One is produced in nature and one is produced in a factory.

Here's a link explaining how to refine sugar..

Oh noooo, look at all this unnatural cane sugar! :wink: 99r4j4couaib.jpg
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I probably eat well over 75 grams a day, I don't track it, I haven't grown any horns, lol!!! ;)
    But I did lose 121 pounds!! :D

^She seems to know what she's talking about.

The new recommendations are regarding "added sugar" which would not be fruit, but there is no way to differentiate that since labels don't reflect added sugar (I believe that is in the updated USDA label though).

As stated previously, if you don't have a medical problem metabolizing sugar, there is no need to track it. Just track carbs of which sugar is a subset. Additionally, every diabetic I know doesn't actually track sugar, they also just track carbs.

Amen. I refuse to worry about the sugar content in fruit. If don't have a medical issues like diabetes, don't waste your time. Added sugar is the issue along with refined carbs. So I'd second the suggestion to track carbs.

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options

3qev7d11roxj.jpg

fwrlygrentop.jpeg

Here's a link explaining how to refine sugar. It's not quite a recipe, but if you have a chemistry background, you might be able to refine your own sugar.
    Here's what I got from the link you posted:
    "Sugar was first manufactured from sugar cane in India, and its manufacture has spread
    from there throughout the world. Chemically, sugar is the substance sucrose, which can
    be hydrolysed in acidic solution (i.e. below pH 7) to form the monosaccharides glucose
    and fructose as follows.
    sucrose + H2O → glucose + fructose
    In New Zealand sugar is refined by the New Zealand Sugar Company Ltd. from cane
    sugar imported from Australia, Cuba and Fiji. A four step process is used, but since
    March 1996 the first three steps have been carried out overseas.
    Step 1 - Affination
    The raw sugar is mixed with a saturated syrup and then centrifuged to extract the crystals.
    Surface impurities (molasses) dissolve in this syrup and are removed."

So it starts with "natural sugar". AKA Cane sugar, which grows in the ground
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Are you disagreeing with that? Do you think that sugar cubes grow on trees?
    Sugar cubes may not, but I think cane sugar would be the starting point for them, as well.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking sugar on, like, day two. It was infuriating and, since I don't have any sugar-linked health issues, pointless. Switch to tracking something else you actually care about -- for me it was iron, as I'm mildly anemic.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues with sugar, don't worry about it.
    like. I want to add, natural sugar (fruit and veggie) is less of a concern than processed sugar (anything that doesnt come off a tree)
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    I stopped tracking sugar on, like, day two. It was infuriating and, since I don't have any sugar-linked health issues, pointless. Switch to tracking something else you actually care about -- for me it was iron, as I'm mildly anemic.

This^^ I switched to tracking fibre and calcium instead.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I heard that if you go over 25g of sugar Liam Neeson will come round and kill everyone.

Or you could just not worry about it.

If I hit 25 exactly will Liam Neeson come round and not kill anyone?

Just asking. For a friend.

Nope. He'll phone you, tell you about his special skills, and give you the chance to stop. I think you know what'll happen if you don't.

Why would anyone be afraid of Liam Neeson??? He can't even keep an eye on his daughter. She's been taken from him 3 times. He's to busy to come kill me.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm glad I wasn't drinking when I read this...