Options

Replies

• Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    gandalf-deadpool-you-shall-not-pass-gif.gif

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please contribute the topic (the one the OP posted), or move on without posting. If you're just in here because you saw the word sugar and thought "oh goody, another chance to dredge up old arguments with the same posters I always argue with about this topic, take cheap shots at each other, report the other person for retaliating to my insult, then needless flag everything!", may I suggest doing the following from the comfort of your home, office, or mobile device instead:

A56GCtS.gif

1081.gif

computer-smash-other-guys-Mark-Wahlberg-angry.gif

Your moderation is becoming more entertaining than than any thread lol.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

Please stay on-topic in an existing thread, and post new threads in the appropriate forum. Taking a thread off-topic is considered hi-jacking. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Please contribute the topic (the one the OP posted), or move on without posting. If you're just in here because you saw the word sugar and thought "oh goody, another chance to dredge up old arguments with the same posters I always argue with about this topic, take cheap shots at each other, report the other person for retaliating to my insult, then needless flag everything!", may I suggest doing the following from the comfort of your home, office, or mobile device instead:

A56GCtS.gif

1081.gif

Agreed. There should be an award for best new mod.
  • dawnsnarks
    dawnsnarks Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I heard that if you go over 25g of sugar Liam Neeson will come round and kill everyone.

Or you could just not worry about it.

Giggle-snort
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A diabetic does not process honey any differently than refined sugar. One is refined by the honey bee. Sugars from fruit are slowed down by the added fiber and are therefore safer for the diabetic (in moderation). There is so much misinformation here. I would advise recently diagnosed insulin resistant and pre-diabetic people to erase their brains of anything read here and take a class on diabetic menu planning.

I grew up in the West Indies where they grow sugar cane. I imagine it would take a while to chew out the sugar straight from the cane, which would slow it's absorption. Not to mention wear down the teeth. I've tried.
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    LaarainNYC wrote: »
    socalkay wrote: »
    I only count the processed/added sugar and try to keep that around 30 grams. I do not count sugar from fruit in that total because the sugars in fruit are delivered with lots of fiber, which slows the delivery of sugar to the blood stream. MFP only gives you the total without differentiating, so I just go back over the day's food log and calculate the processed/added sugars in my head.

Here's a good article to read. Note they are talking about the fructose in corn syrup. They are not including fruit in their assertions (which are based on cited research):
    Why Is Fructose Bad For You?

Fruit comes with a lot of fiber? What about a banana or a mango?

Also, Lustig? Really? It's like you Lustig fans deliberately ignore this following link and never address it.

I see your fear mongering Lustig and raise you Alan.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Eh. Mangos and bananas have a decent amount of fiber and really, does anyone get fat from fruit? For most of us this is a common sense thing: avoid or at least ration refined and processed foods, especially sugar. Almost every sensible diet plan out there, from lowish carb to Dean Ornish to WW limits sugary and starchy food. Unless you're diabetic or are only trying to take off a few pounds worrying about fruit intake is a waste of time.

What about the tons of us on this site that have been successful while not limiting processed sugar, do we lack this common sense you speak of?

Mango 336g
    50g of sugar
    5g of fiber

Banana Medium
    27g of sugar
    3.1g of fiber

Doesn't seem like much fiber to me.

It's a decent amount. Not great--berries and apples are much better-- but I really doubt most of us have issues with bananas and mangos. I'm not going to sit down and binge eat bananas or mangos. Put me in front of a pile of cookies and all bets are off.

I'm not assaulting your common sense. If you can lose weight without worrying about added sugar, great. Every respectable diet out there limits processed sugar/refined carbs. Most--even Atkins--allow fruit.

What is a respectable diet? What classifies a diet as respectable? What about people that don't follow a specific diet? My diet has no name.

You say it's a decent amount, I disagree. Well I could easily eat 4 or 500 calories in Mangos or pineapples. My 2 favorite fruits. And what do binge eating have anything to do with what we are talking about?

For many of us, sugary sweets can trigger binges. If that's not true for you, great. I also get really sleepy after eating anything really starchy or sugary so that's another disincentive. I have never been remotely tempted to binge on mangoes or bananas.

If I could lose weight on pizza and bagels, trust me I would.

I'm glad your diet works for you and am not particularly interested in getting into a debate about it. I'm a 49-year-old female with a family history of diabetes. It wouldn't work for me.
  • LaarainNYC
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    does anyone get fat from fruit?

They do, a 280 lb vegan on TV this week got through 1,000 calories from fruit by mid morning.

I suspect that's unusual. I suppose it's possible to binge eat or abuse anything. I personally am not capable of eating five apples in a row. If fruit is a problem for you, by all means limit it.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    A diabetic does not process honey any differently than refined sugar. One is refined by the honey bee. Sugars from fruit are slowed down by the added fiber and are therefore safer for the diabetic (in moderation). There is so much misinformation here. I would advise recently diagnosed insulin resistant and pre-diabetic people to erase their brains of anything read here and take a class on diabetic menu planning.

I grew up in the West Indies where they grow sugar cane. I imagine it would take a while to chew out the sugar straight from the cane, which would slow it's absorption. Not to mention wear down the teeth. I've tried.

+1. Nicely put.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "jgnatca wrote: »
    Sugars from fruit are slowed down by the added fiber and are therefore safer for the diabetic (in moderation).

Sugar in a cake or cookie or whatever also comes with fiber, so I don't find this a convincing argument. The blood glucose response to fruit is fairly fast.

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    _SKIM_ wrote: »

A56GCtS.gif

1081.gif

Agreed. There should be an award for best new mod.

+ 1

I am considering dropping by controversial threads just for kgeyer's moderation. :smiley:

Back to OP – I would agree with everyone who says to track fiber. MFP lacks a bit in certain areas, and the way it tracks sugar is one of them, from what I gathered in the forums.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

They do, a 280 lb vegan on TV this week got through 1,000 calories from fruit by mid morning.

I suspect that's unusual. I suppose it's possible to binge eat or abuse anything. I personally am not capable of eating five apples in a row. If fruit is a problem for you, by all means limit it.

I did the whole 30 bananas a day thing. Quite easily actually. Since I was consuming well over 3000 calories a day, from fruit, and only fruit, I (shocker!) Gained weight.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

I did the whole 30 bananas a day thing. Quite easily actually. Since I was consuming well over 3000 calories a day, from fruit, and only fruit, I (shocker!) Gained weight.

Ugh....I would be so sick if I tried that.

Not my finest moment that's for sure!
  • LaarainNYC
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Ugh....I would be so sick if I tried that.

Wouldn't be for me either ;)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

What about the people that don't have diabetes? Because it seems like every time a sugar conversation comes up we hear "In diabetics and insulin resistant" but what about the non?

People without The Beetus can safely eat sugars according to their psychological preferences. So, you know, if it causes you emotional turmoil, don't eat it. But, even if you are trying to lose weight, if it fits in your calorie plan, it won't cause you to gain wait any more than any other type of food with the same calorie total.

The diabetic and insulin resistant caveat "keeps coming up" because that is the only biological reason to cut sugar.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I heard that if you go over 25g of sugar Liam Neeson will come round and kill everyone.

Or you could just not worry about it.

If you tell that to people with enough abandon, I bet they will actually believe it. Today I saw a youtube video where a guy was claiming that fruit has no sugar, and that sweet thing is actually just crystallized sun energy. And the bugger actually has a decent following even outside youtube!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Crystallized sun energy, excellent. I guess if we take his logic to its ultimate conclusion, technically every organic material is "made of sun energy. "

IT'S ALL FREE AND MAJIKAL!!!!111eLEVENtY!
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    People without The Beetus can safely eat sugars according to their psychological preferences. So, you know, if it causes you emotional turmoil, don't eat it. But, even if you are trying to lose weight, if it fits in your calorie plan, it won't cause you to gain wait any more than any other type of food with the same calorie total.

The diabetic and insulin resistant caveat "keeps coming up" because that is the only biological reason to cut sugar.

So then why does it need to end up at diabetes every time people start with the whole fruit is good, refined sugar is bad or fructose alarmist come up. Someone says they are addicted or generally wants to reduce it because they "know" it's bad for us, a bunch of people come in and say it's not, then people pop in..........Diabetes!!!! All roads seem to lead to diabetes.

I would guess because of the likely strong correlation between obesity/insulin resistance and obesity/diabetes (at least type II). Obviously T2 DM is often tested for/easily diagnosed -- likely less so with insulin resistance. I would expect that an average person who has been obese for a lengthy period of time to have some level of insulin resistance, either diagnosed or not, though I'm unaware of any current science that would support or refute that expectation. I'd like to see it done.

Whether or not that would push one towards a recommendation of a low carb diet, or how the individual would feel given a variety of dietary "treatment" options, I'd say is up for debate.