*RANT* Sugar, sugar, sugar!

Options
So according to MFP, I should only take in 27g of sugar a day. For breakfast I had a banana shake (1 cup of 2% milk, 1 banana) that put me at 28g....how am I supposed to NOT consume any more sugar when it is only 9am????

Yes, I know I should worry more about eating my calories and not under eating...and that is what I do, but it just made me realize how...unrealistic?...some things can be. Fruit has so much sugar in it yet we are supposed to base our 'healthy diets' on fruits and vegetables.

I do not base my eating on the grams of sugar I consume, but when it is only 9am and it is starring at me in bright red letters, it catches my eye.

I am eating my calories as I should, I try to eat them all and not go over, which this time around doesn't seem as hard...been losing slowly but surely and I feel good.

Ok, all done!

Anyone else feel the same way?

Happy eating!

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Track fiber.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I thought that too initially. Instead, I switched out my banana for blueberries or something way less sweet in the morning. I still will have lots of sugar if I do a smoothie in the morning, so I ultimately had to stop. But I am prediabetic, so I needed to watch my sugars. Unless you have medical issues, this shouldn't really be a problem for you.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues with sugar, don't worry about it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Stop tracking sugar. Fixed!
  • Peque1130
    Peque1130 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Stop tracking sugar. Fixed!

There is nothing to "fix", it was an observation....

• Peque1130
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    Track fiber.

I do... :)
  • Peque1130
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    I thought that too initially. Instead, I switched out my banana for blueberries or something way less sweet in the morning. I still will have lots of sugar if I do a smoothie in the morning, so I ultimately had to stop. But I am prediabetic, so I needed to watch my sugars. Unless you have medical issues, this shouldn't really be a problem for you.

I have also been pre-diabetic and have PCOS so I do "try" to eat less sugar, but it isn't my main concern when losing weight because the sugar I do consume is mostly natural, so I figure shouldn't be as bad as let's say, a bag of M&M's...

I normally don't do shakes in the morning, and I do use different foods when available, it just caught my eye this morning when it lit up in red lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

this..

end thread/

now...

please...?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Peque1130 wrote: »

I have also been pre-diabetic and have PCOS so I do "try" to eat less sugar, but it isn't my main concern when losing weight because the sugar I do consume is mostly natural, so I figure shouldn't be as bad as let's say, a bag of M&M's...

I normally don't do shakes in the morning, and I do use different foods when available, it just caught my eye this morning when it lit up in red lol

Yup, I hate that red when I'm over as well. The answer is simply switch to a lower sugar fruit if the mood hits for a smoothie.
  • bos10fit
    bos10fit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have to try to get over 20g of sugar a day. I avoid fruit unless I am in an emergency right before a workout and need fuel!

I get my vitamins & minerals through vegetables. There is hardly anything you can get from fruit that you can't get from a veggie!
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to the sugar grams really. Especially when it comes to fruit, because they're so packed with vitamins. Unless you have a problem with sugar, I don't think it's that big of a deal.
  • kevinmacpa
    kevinmacpa Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Sugar in milk is lactose sugar, slow digestion, low GI index, should be much better than other forms of sugar for your condition. Sugar in banana is regular sugar, GI index is actually higher than milk, and more than half of you 28 grams of sugar is from banana. As other poster pointed out, try switch to other lower sugar fruits if possible.

Since you are pre-diabetic, I recommend milk with oatmeal or maybe even some chia seed. Should feel much more fullness and they are great for keeping your blood glucose in control.
  • bos10fit
    Options
    ^^ Yes!! Another GI eater. Do you GI only or do you do GL too?
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MFP's sugar recommendation is pretty low, all things considered. No sugar is bad unless, as others have stated, you have a medical condition that requires you to watch the amount of sugar you consume. I notice you said you are pre-diabetic and have PCOS, so perhaps that would be a reason to reconsider some choices, but regardless, bananas are delicious and a fine choice, and so is milk. There's no reason to worry about sugar, whether it be from fruit, milk, candy, or anything else.
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I dont concern myself too much when its naturally occuring sugar, i'd just track your refined and stay under in your calories, just my opinion though :)
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

this..

end thread/

now...

please...?

We aren't that lucky.
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    bos10fit wrote: »
    ^^ Yes!! Another GI eater. Do you GI only or do you do GL too?

I don't have any condition or track my blood glucose, I understand GI because years ago when I was cutting and bulking, I learned about this stuff to help me understand how different kinds of food affect my metabolism so I can cut and bulk more effectively.

Since I track carb, protein and fat consumption by the gram, I don't really pay attention to GL. I eat a lot of vegetable, whole grain when I don't need too much carb so those are low GL food; and I eat potato, sweet potato when I need a lot of carbs for energy, and these are higher GL food but are still low in GI.
  • bos10fit
    Options
    Yep. Sounds like me.
  • kevinmacpa
    Options
    bos10fit wrote: »
    Yep. Sounds like me.

Oh, right before I do my weight training, I drink protein shake with dextrose and maltodextrin. Those are high GI and high GL "food". Can you believe Maltodextrin has a GI index of about 120?! It's higher than pure glucose, lol. But yeah, I drink it for the blood sugar spike during and post workout.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    So according to MFP, I should only take in 27g of sugar a day. For breakfast I had a banana shake (1 cup of 2% milk, 1 banana) that put me at 28g....how am I supposed to NOT consume any more sugar when it is only 9am????

Yes, I know I should worry more about eating my calories and not under eating...and that is what I do, but it just made me realize how...unrealistic?...some things can be. Fruit has so much sugar in it yet we are supposed to base our 'healthy diets' on fruits and vegetables.

I do not base my eating on the grams of sugar I consume, but when it is only 9am and it is starring at me in bright red letters, it catches my eye.

I am eating my calories as I should, I try to eat them all and not go over, which this time around doesn't seem as hard...been losing slowly but surely and I feel good.

Ok, all done!

Anyone else feel the same way?

Happy eating!

This doesn't really help you out with much, but for smoothies I typically do the 30 calorie almond milk or soy milk. I love my morning smoothies with fruit and spinach and protein powder, so this really helped cut back on calories and sugar, but keep the smooth consistency. I also don't use banana, but frozen mixed berries (not sure if that'll help with sugar or not).