Salmon recipes

Options
CassandraLT90
CassandraLT90 Posts: 16 Member
This weekend I am planning on making salmon and wanted to try something different than the typical lemon and dill in the oven.

Does any one have any suggestions or salmon recipes that they love?

I'm all game for any type of seasoning hot, mild, sweet, tangy, etc.

Replies

• tompunx
    tompunx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have found a drop of agave nectar on top of my salmon fillet does wonders! Wrap it in foil and leave it for 15mins at about 220C. LOVELY JUBBLY!
  • pksd
    pksd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Tandoorie salmon I make few times a month.

Buy some tandoorie masala from a local Indian grocery store.

Make marinated in a blender with these ingredients

- Half cup olive oil
    - 1 TBSP Tandoorie masala
    - 3 peepled garlic cloves
    - 2 TBSP fresh ginger
    - 1 tsp salt (might not need it if you are ok with less salt)
    - Few fresh mint leaves if you have them. I grow them in my garden
    - Small piece of jalapeño pepper if you like some heat

- Pour marinade on the fish and let it sit for 1-2 hours.
    - Wrap fish in some foil(skin down) and grill it on the BBQ for 6-7 min, medium to high heat.
    - Squeeze some lemon juice on the rice.
    - Serve it on some salad or brown rice. You can pour the oil released in the foil on brown rice for add some flavor to the rice...
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Have you tried cooking plain? That is how we eat it. Cut into serving size pieces (use scissors), broil 500, top rack with skin on, for about 5-8mins (depends on thickness).

If you do not like plain what about a "dipping sauce"? Warm and dip or put on top.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    On the grill, sprinkled with a bit of Mrs. Dash.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    doomspark wrote: »
    On the grill, sprinkled with a bit of Mrs. Dash.
    What type of Mrs. Dash do you use when grilling Salmon? Always curious what others use (whether it be plain spice or mixed)... I wanna widen my horizons. lol

Thanks!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    The only thing I'd done so far with Wild Salmon is sear it in a pan on top of the stove. I really hadn't tried salmon until the last couple years so I appreciate the ideas in this thread. :) I'm glad you started it!
  • CassandraLT90
    Options
    pksd wrote: »

- Half cup olive oil
    - 2 TBSP fresh ginger

- Wrap fish in some foil(skin down) and grill it on the BBQ for 6-7 min, medium to high heat.
    - Serve it on some salad or brown rice. You can pour the oil released in the foil on brown rice for add some flavor to the rice...

This sounds really good. I have no Indian grocery stores by me but we have this Nino Salvaggios, which is an international grocery store that carries everything possible. It is bit of a drive for me but I am by it every weekend almost.

Thanks!
  • CassandraLT90
    Options
    I was never into plain salmon. My dad when I was little used to wrap Salmon up in foil with brown sugar, dill, maple syrup, and lemon and grill is. Which probably isn't has healthy but it is delicious.
    Just trying to get something tasty but healthy.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    ill often get ground atlantic salmon from the grocery store seafood department, cook it up in a pan with veggies and salsa and make salmon tacos
  • amaradasiva
    amaradasiva Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This stuff is magical. Sprinkle some of this on top of the salmon, cook in a little bit of butter, flip, etc. So delicious and ridiculously easy. Not calorie-tastic either.
  • pksd
    pksd Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    pksd wrote: »

- Half cup olive oil
    - 2 TBSP fresh ginger

This sounds really good. I have no Indian grocery stores by me but we have this Nino Salvaggios, which is an international grocery store that carries everything possible. It is bit of a drive for me but I am by it every weekend almost.

Thanks!

:)

You might even be able to find it in a traditional grocery store in the international section. Tandoorie masala is the second most common indian spice blend (second to garam masala). Garam masala makes very good fish curry (but for a different type of fish).
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I made this the other day and it was AMAZING. Sweet n Spicy Sriracha glazed salmon 229 calories

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sweet-n-Spicy-Sriracha-Glazed-Salmon-51252440
  • CassandraLT90
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    I made this the other day and it was AMAZING. Sweet n Spicy Sriracha glazed salmon 229 calories

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sweet-n-Spicy-Sriracha-Glazed-Salmon-51252440

I just tried this tonight. It was good. Thanks!
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Just had salmon at my mom's tonight, but not very exciting, I'm afraid. Salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice& a little butter, then baked for 20-15 minutes. Not exciting, but tasted really good!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I like miso glazed salmon. Just spoon a bit of miso over the top and drizzle with soy sauce, marinate for a bit, then bake with the miso on top. Serve on a bed of udon or soba noodles with sesame seeds (or better yet, a sesame sauce made with tahini and a little soy sauce and rice vinegar.)
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Allrecipes.com has a Teriyaki Salmon recipe that is to die for ...I just made it this past week ...paired with rice and lemon hazelnut greenbeans ...YUM
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Balsamic salmon: marinate in a bit of balsamic vinegar, then bake or pan-fry. Use a mid grade balsamic for this, but if you want more flavor, top with a really good balsamic, or a boiled-down balsamic glaze, after it's done.

This goes really well with root veggies like sweet potatoes, carrots or parsnips, or winter squash.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Rub with chili powder and brown sugar
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I usually cook it in tinfoil also. I start with slices of onion and lay the salmon on top of the onion slices. Then add a little butter and some freshly ground pepper. Then I seal up the tinfoil and bake.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My favorite: skin the salmon (or have your fishmonger remove the skin). Marinate in a mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, a bit of sugar, and garlic at room temperature for at least an hour. Remove, dry, and cover with coarsely ground pepper. Sauté in olive oil on medium-high temperature for 3-4 minutes per side, depending on how cooked you like your salmon, how thick it is, and whether it is wild or farmed (farmed salmon, being fattier, takes longer to cook). Let rest for a few minutes, then serve.

You can put a lot of pepper on, because the fat in the salmon moderates the spiciness. An amount of pepper that would be difficult to tolerate on chicken breasts or steak tastes great on salmon cooked this way.