Drinking half your body weight in water daily - HELP!

Options
laurielane6
laurielane6 Posts: 10 Member
edited January 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hey all! So, I'm new and just getting started with all this. I've GOT to know... HOW to you guys drink so much water a day? I've heard that you are supposed to drink half your body weight a day in OUNCES, but I'm having a terrible time with it as I've never been one to drink a lot during the day anyway (unless it's wine!) Open to ideas!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    if your a wino, add me.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think your calculations may be off? According to that I'd need to drink 150lbs of water a day?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    I think your calculations may be off? According to that I'd need to drink 150lbs of water a day?

It's not in pounds of water haha.

Sorry I'm no help here because I don't let anyone tell me how much water I need to drink. I just make sure my pee is not yellowy.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    How the hell would you manage that? You wouldn't have time to drink between sleeping and pissing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Um, water weighs 8.34 lbs per gallon. I'm pretty sure no adult should EVER drink half their weight in water in one day.

Even if you weighed only 100 lbs you'd have to drink almost 6 gallons.
  • laurielane6
    Options
    In ounces! Sorry!!
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you mean half your weight, but then in ounces. SO I weigh 267 and should drink something like 16cups of water a day. So not happening. There's no magic number with water.

Are you hydrated? Done. You get water through other drinks and foods, too.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    1/2 your body weight equal to fluid Ounces smart @$$'s, {face palm} example if you weigh 200 pounds drink 100 fluid ounces of water daily.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I found the easiest way to keep on top of water is to have a bottle of it within easy reach throughout the day. At work I keep a bottle between the office and shop floor, meaning I drink every time I walk past.
  • aplcr0331
    aplcr0331 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My bad. That makes more sense since 150oz's sounds much better. I'm far off from that for the last 5 days or so that I've been really trying to drink water instead of soda. I'm probably at about 100-120oz so I guess there's room for improvement.

Why would we need this much matter anyway?
  • laurielane6
    Options
    I've read that drinking this much water aids in weight loss. I have a 2L jug of water at my desk, and I drink it, but I just can't get myself to drink the other ounces I need. I'd like to drink a gallon of water, but it just seems impossible. I feel hydrated, I've never drank that much water in my life!
  • lawlifehanna
    lawlifehanna Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've read that drinking this much water aids in weight loss. I have a 2L jug of water at my desk, and I drink it, but I just can't get myself to drink the other ounces I need. I'd like to drink a gallon of water, but it just seems impossible. I feel hydrated, I've never drank that much water in my life!

Drinking too much water is dangerous. It's extreme and unusual, but trying to chug too much water can kill you because your cells can't deal with it.

Water doesn't have magical properties that help you in weight loss. What it does, though (in suitable quantities) is hydrates you so you feel better and are more likely to be active, and it can trick your brain to think your stomach is full and thus make you less hungry.

As others have said, there's also water in food and that counts towards the "recommended" amounts. Cucumber and watermelon, for example, are something like 95% water.
  • laurielane6
    Options
    Perhaps I shouldn't drink so much then. I do feel a difference drinking it and not.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options

Drink a decent amount of water and stick to your deficit. You'll lose the weight.
  • laurielane6
    Options
    Thank you for the help!! I'm really hoping these pounds start coming off soon!
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I just base my water intake off of how I feel. If I start to feel sluggish I drink a glass of water and usually I feel a lot better.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Its 1.6l of fluid (not just water) for a woman or just look at the colour of your urine , it should be light straw colour or lighter.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water, I think ... about 10 glasses a day ... or 80 ounces, which is more than 1 gallon. Some days I only drink 8 glasses. For me, I found it helps to keep my digestive tract working smoothly. I have a 16-ounce tumbler that I drink from and aim to fill it up 5 times a day. .... first thing in the morning, with my meals, in between meals instead of a food snack. I taper it off in the evening, but still get in 2 glasses during TV time. But then, water has always been my favorite beverage.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    She did actually say in ounces people...
    Hey all! So, I'm new and just getting started with all this. I've GOT to know... HOW to you guys drink so much water a day? I've heard that you are supposed to drink half your body weight a day in OUNCES, but I'm having a terrible time with it as I've never been one to drink a lot during the day anyway (unless it's wine!) Open to ideas!

You can overdose on water but you have to get pretty crazy with it. I was having trouble getting mine in too because I'm a sipper. It can take me several hours too drik 12 ounces of anything.

I drink out of a small Styrofoam cup. I mainly do it so I have to get up to refill but I have also found it's helpful to get myself to drink once I get one or two down. The reason for this is having to use the restroom reminds me I need to drink and if I'm not finished with my cup I finish it before I go and refill when I get back. It's a 10oz cup and I get between 8 and 10 a day in at work. when i get home I don't worry about it.

Perhaps I shouldn't drink so much then. I do feel a difference drinking it and not.