Binge eating, Sugar cravings, carb cravings... Low self esteem - u name it, I got it!☺️

Options
hey guys!
So, I am the heaviest I have ever been since moving to Dubai last year. It's very upsetting to say the least, I have lost myself to chocolate, crisps, burgers and pizzas... And general crappy food. It's sad to say I pass up social events, and dates because of how I feel about myself (surely this would give me the motivation right? WRONG!) *reaching for a half eaten burger* where does this viscous circle end???
Before I give up on myself completely I want to give this one last go. I would love to gain friends on here as the support will be well received, and reciprocated too! Looking to lose about 25-30 lbs...
If anyone is the same/similar boat to me, it be great to hear from you !

Replies

• weejulesss
    Options
    Hiya, totally empathise. In in the same boat as you, except I'm sailing it through the icy waters of the Scottish Highlands instead of the warm sea in Dubai. Feel free to add me :)
  • Bootsaroo
    Bootsaroo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Blake and Weejuless!! I was just wondering the same thing the other night as I reached for something I was not hungry for. It's depressing and overwhelming. It's hard to know where to even start! I am a single mom but need to start taking care of MYSELF so I'll be around for my kids. The hardest step is the first - Maybe we can all take it together??
  • arose928
    arose928 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same rut you can add me, I have the same amount 30 pounds. Maybe a little motivation will help.

• cheethnico
    cheethnico Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I hate what I see in the mirror and what I've done to myself I hide from the camera constantly refuse nights out because how hideous I believe I will look. The Facebook thing where u put your first profile pic just depressed me even more as my more recent friends couldn't believe it was me the last 7 years havnt been kind but to be fair I have been to hell and back and food was my comfort I'm determined to shift as much of the 5 stone i need to loose as possible and 1 week in I'm 5lb down I find looking at and reading the success stories on here motivates me to keep going feel free to add me
  • paulbriffitt
    paulbriffitt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Blake, I came back to MFP as it seems to be the only thing that works for me. I'm four stone overweight at present. that's 56 pound to lose. Since coming back to MFP I've lost Just over a stone. It's not rapid loss, but slow and steady wins the race. Feel free to add me, if you'd like to. My issue was I changed my job and work from home most days, so no regular lunch breaks, but on the positive side no cakes to avoid for co-workers birthdays.
  • blake8646
    blake8646 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    After reading your stories it's comforting to know I'm not the only one, also empowering to realise I am not alone in this... I can relate to each one of you (except for weejulesss icy Scottish waters!) :)
    Thank you so much for your comments, really appreciated x
  • blake8646
    blake8646 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bootsaroo wrote: »
    Hi Blake and Weejuless!! I was just wondering the same thing the other night as I reached for something I was not hungry for. It's depressing and overwhelming. It's hard to know where to even start! I am a single mom but need to start taking care of MYSELF so I'll be around for my kids. The hardest step is the first - Maybe we can all take it together??

It's a heavy addiction, food. My first step, starts tomorrow... Would love to take it together
  • weejulesss
    Options
    blake8646 wrote: »
    Bootsaroo wrote: »

It's a heavy addiction, food. My first step, starts tomorrow... Would love to take it together

Yep, so would I. Any support would be much appreciated :)
  • BlueDaisy717
    BlueDaisy717 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey Blake and everyone else :) I haven't been doing great in the last few months and still have 20 ish pounds to lose. Feel free to add me. I'm online everyday now and hopefully will stick at it, we can all do this! :)
  • MelonFlower
    MelonFlower Posts: 37 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I used to be the same way with binge eating and craving sugary foods. I used to eat straight up BAGS of candy, and I felt like it would never end. I had to drastically increase my healthy fat consumption (100+g/day) and cut out all refined sugars to get it to stop. Some people on MFP will claim that restrictive eating is setting yourself up for a binge, but in my case, I've found it to be the opposite. It's the only way I could ever get the binge eating/sugar craving madness to stop; I stopped spiking my blood sugar. Eating fats and cutting the sugar was the only way that's ever successfully gotten me to stop thinking about food ALL THE TIME.

Also, I'd suggest getting your hormones checked. If they're out of whack, it might be causing cravings. Found out I had insulin resistance and so eating sugary things was biochemical warfare on my body.

And I'm not damning sugar; but for some people, like me, it's just not a good idea.

Anyone is free to add me as a friend! I need to lose 25lbs!
  • jack0912
    jack0912 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Completely understand how you feel... sounds so much like me...you will do this.. your message on here shows you want to ..:)
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards, post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about weight loss.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than a butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We all fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support each other
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. It's easier to lift weights than continue the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. Take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile
  • mrshaytch2015
    mrshaytch2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm not new to MFP but set up a new profile as its been a few years. Im a 29 year old UK (Midlands) mum to a 5 month old. My husband left me after I had the baby and its been a wake up call. I spent so much time pandering to him I neglected myself. Gained over 40 pounds in the last few years and now I just hate what I see in the mirror!
    I want to be healthier for my boy and slimmer for me! I started a low cal plan on Jan 5th and lost 7 pounds the first week. This is my second week and I'm calorie counting at the mo with more variation, next week I do the same diet I did last week and Il be alternating each week. Id love to have some friends on here to make me accountable and tell me off when I'v had a binge!!

Please add me!

*I promise to log daily and be really honest!*

• ClaireTonito
    ClaireTonito Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do you have a few flatmates in Dubai? It can be harder sometimes if you are living with people who are also eating a lot of the bad stuff or binge a lot. But if they see you giving it a go they might also try it!

The main thing that works for me is having ready made handy meals in the freezer which can be taken out overnight to defrost or even the morning for when you come home in evening. I normally make chicken curry, garlic and herb mince/veg heavy dish, lasagne and chicken fajita mix. I'm making more healthy versions of them now plus going to try brand new recipes I'm finding on Pinterest/online.

Investing in a slow cooker this week too! Might be an option for you one with a timer so it will click on when you are at work and be all ready for you once you come home. So that leaves you with no time to be nibbling on stuff while waiting for food to get cooked because it's already sorted for you! Handy rice, salad or some pasta would be quick enough to throw together to go with it.

Another tip is only take the money you need for the main bits of food shopping(if you know the prices of things, don't have plenty extra money left over as that's when you add a packet of biscuits, few bags of crisps etc to the shopping cart! :wink:
  • Derek19877
    Derek19877 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I understand completely. I wish you luck and hope you find something here that keeps you healthy and happy. :)
  • guimauveconfections
    Options
    Oh man, I know this feeling all too well. Have a good 60 emotional eating pounds to loose myself. You can turn this around though! Add me, you can have a huge support network here!
  • AllenThermaltake
    AllenThermaltake Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    blake8646 wrote: »
    hey guys!
    So, I am the heaviest I have ever been since moving to Dubai last year. It's very upsetting to say the least, I have lost myself to chocolate, crisps, burgers and pizzas... And general crappy food. It's sad to say I pass up social events, and dates because of how I feel about myself (surely this would give me the motivation right? WRONG!) *reaching for a half eaten burger* where does this viscous circle end???
    Before I give up on myself completely I want to give this one last go. I would love to gain friends on here as the support will be well received, and reciprocated too! Looking to lose about 25-30 lbs...
    If anyone is the same/similar boat to me, it be great to hear from you !

• AllenThermaltake
    AllenThermaltake Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there 20-30 lbs you can do it I have lost134 lbs . If you approach the problem exactally the same each day the result will alway be the same . Simply said change the view , the view will change. Don't think of it as a diet we are all creatures of habit just change the habit and you will still have a habit it will just be a better one. All I did was get used to better choices that really sucked at first but after a while the new habit was the norm. Just get used to logging everything daily and exercise just go for a walk. Once you get the fire stocked it will burn and you will find yourself full of energy and never hungry. I was miserable and could hardly walk when I decided to do or die. And now well I just can't sit still or be stopped I didn't even feel this good in my 20's.. Good luck to you .
  • FileppM
    FileppM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Champion binge eater here. Total emotional eater. I gained 160 pounds after high school. I've lost about 75 of it but was stuck in another rut again until I found this program a few weeks ago. Still have 62 pounds to my goal. You're welcome to add me! :)
  • jmb6086
    jmb6086 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can relate to a lot of what is being said. @blake8646‌ i have about the same amount to lose, although it was added after i came home from being abroad.

Im a big believer in being body positive no matter what size you are, but that doesnt mean i dont want to change things. You just have to do it for yourself.

I'd love to add friends and for some to add me.. I don't want to come off as a creep. But I need some accountability in my life.