Calorie intake. I don't want to mess this up!

Options
I have been using my fitness pal for a week now and I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm just trying to figure out how much to eat.
They have calculated 1490 for my base caloric intake based on age hight weight and what I'm trying to loose. I have also started exercising. So I log everything my food my exercises so it takes my food off my calorie count but then adds more for calories burned. Do I want to stay under the original 1490 or as long as I stay under what I have burned and have " calories remaining" number I should be ok?
I'm so confused about all of this
Thanks for the help!

Replies

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Opinions on this vary. Most people will eat back a portion of their exercise calories (50% is common) but not all of the exercise calories in case MFP is overestimating calories burned.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    The 1490 goal is what MFP is saying you should eat to lose what you want to lose with the amount of daily activity you put in when you set your goals. So when you do more than your normal it adds back in some calories. Most people eat back some but not all of the additional calories. I say if you're not hungry don;t eat just to eat back those calories but if you are then go ahead and reward yourself for your hard work by eating back half of them. Try that for a week or two and see what affect it has on your weight loss. If it works stick with it, if not try another tactic.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Most people eat back half the exercise calories, as MFP overestimates. So if you have a base of 1490, then gain say 300 from exercise, you can eat 1640 and be safe.
  • Smitti85
    Smitti85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! That makes it so much easier! I feel like I'm able to tackle this now!