Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth and go to bed
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat like 650 calories during the day just so I have 3K at night and don't have to worry about it. That's my tip.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Brushing teeth does help! And why not stock some healthy late night snacks? Apple with peanut butter, some unsalted almonds, a hard boiled egg on toast... There are many options. I always have low fat/low sugar multigrain bars on hand whenever I crave something at night, or very dark chocolate. I also love some red fruits, like raspberries. Or greek yoghurt with some unsalted walnuts and honey :) So many great, low cal, options to satisfy cravings.

It's fine to eat late in the evening, just don't stock yourself up with sugars and make sure you plan that snack ahead in your log like others suggest.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I think postponing my late evening treat to as late as possible. Used to have one at 8pm. now have it at 9:30 as go to bed around 11. Means I only have one post dinner snack as opposed to several.Also i drink a bottle of water at 8 now instead of the snack at that time.
  • KWSteph
    Options
    I recently came to realize that my cravings at night are not always based on hunger, eating at night when we are more apt to be bored develops into a bad habit which takes time to break - so don't knock yourself if you don't change overnight. Make a plan to break the habit, replace it with a different habit and if you are hungry make a list of healthier choice foods that give you volume, texture and satisfy a sweet or salty craving. Make a rule to never eat standing up and if possible prep your late snacks earlier in the day....when your not hungry, bored and a food zombie! I'm great all day, b/c my days are structured b/c of work, however 630ish on - I become a different person. Takes time to change habits that developed over years or decades. Good luck and keep us updated of your progress and whats working for you!
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I save some calories for a night time snack. Once I am done with that, I drink ice water.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of champagne or good scotch. Yes, really.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I always have a high protein snack in the evenings (Greek yogurt, protein bar etc, usually between 100-200 calories). I have learned over the years that not only do I have a major oral fixation, but I also can't just sit and watch tv (unless it's hockey), I have to have something that keeps my fingers busy or I get the urge to mindlessly snack. So if I sit with the family and watch tv, I have a second thing going as well (such as reading a book, doing embroidery or a puzzle, brush the dog, etc). The other thing I've stopped doing much of is just sitting in front of the tv, instead I'll sort my sons toys or do other little chores (like dusting, cleaning the mirrors or glass in my house, wipe dorm bathroom counters etc.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I also can't just sit and watch tv (unless it's hockey).

Same here. I usually watch TV while at my computer, so I'm keeping my hands busy by typing.

I save some calories for my evening snack and work it into my plan each night. I like having a little bit of chocolate in the evenings.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Drink water, or eat something like celery. Quit smoking mary j?
  • MimiofSeven
    MimiofSeven Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tell myself I'm going to be thinner in the morning, "Fight the Urge".
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh, also-2 dinners. I usually eat something filling around 400 calories when I get home, and then eat another "meal" with about 300 a few hours later.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I agree on having room in your day for a night snack. Also finding a hobby or something else to do besides snacking. I find hobbies that keep your hands busy are best as that is sometimes what the body wants to do. I took up the ukulele a few months ago and try to practice most evenings.
  • meds601
    meds601 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I work nights and eat around 6pm but when I get off work im starving but I drink water and use will power. Its tough believe me I know.
  • gimpy117
    gimpy117 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    pre log your day in the morning to include calories for this time.
    the difficult part is not also eating breakfast, or going over on lunch...Im doing this now sadly. time for mind over matter
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Drink unsweetend tea, hot or cold, with lemon. Or even just water.

Maybe, until it's a habit, institute a no-snacks-after-dinner rule.

Then perhaps treat yourself with some extra dark chocolate or a piece of cheese in the evening, or any snack not too heavy on sugar...when you think you can handle it :)
  • Honey55CM
    Honey55CM Posts: 3
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have this problem too! I am in university right now - my mini-fridge sits right beside my school desk (making food very accessible), and the cafeteria in my building downstairs is open until midnight (making unhealthy late snacks also very accessible). Unfortunately tonight I did not do the best - I had three homemade double chocolate cookies from the cafeteria. But some good suggestions have been posted here and I will try to implement some of them. Late-night, very sugary snacks are becoming a habit for me and I think it is better that I try to break the pattern early on, before it becomes too ingrained.

One thing that did use to work for me (I was quite a healthy eater before uni) was to make a nice, small, visually appealing plate of food as a bedtime snack. I would usually add a small glass of milk, some fruit, maybe some nuts and a piece of dark chocolate. Putting it all on a plate ensured that I did not keep going back for more (once I was done the plate I was done), and usually made me create a pretty balanced snack.