Homemade healthy snacks

Options
2»

Replies

• dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Crackers with toppings -- like goat cheese and jam, or hummus and a vegetable slice, or peanut butter and a banana slice, or a little bit of tuna salad, stuff like that. I saw a Triscuit ad today that had Triscuit appetizers topped with a small piece of chicken, a tiny slice of avocado, and a bit of sriracha. There are some organic whole-grain crackers, such as the ones made by Kashi, that you could use if you want to be super healthy.

Or if you don't want to bother with all that assembly you could just have the ingredients separately and use the crackers for dipping.
  • verlisha
    verlisha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently made delicious crunhy homemade granola bars and they are maybe 135cal in 1 bar and a great snack. I used oats, coconut flakes unsweetened, organic brown sugar, a pinch of salt, dark chocolate chips, almonds, walnuts, honey, vanilla extract, and canola oil. I baked then and let cool before cutting. Actually check out fifteen spatulas recipe which is what I used but I tweeked it by adding the nuts and not using flour.
  • HaideeJo13
    HaideeJo13 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I even just like getting bags of frozen fruit and munching on it. It last a while so you can sit and watch a movie and have a snack that isn't gone in a couple minutes. My kids and I watched a movie and they wanted the frozen fruit over popcorn lol SCORE!!!
  • jamiesamarin
    Options
    I'm going to try this yummy!!! Thanks jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 wrote: »
    I like to make homemade cheese "chips".... Take a good sharp cheese (cheddar, parmesan, asiago, etc...), shred it, then place it on a parchment lined baking sheet in little piles (maybe 1/2 to 1oz each) and bake for a few minutes until they are almost crisp.
    HaideeJo13 wrote: »
    I even just like getting bags of frozen fruit and munching on it. It last a while so you can sit and watch a movie and have a snack that isn't gone in a couple minutes. My kids and I watched a movie and they wanted the frozen fruit over popcorn lol SCORE!!!

• murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Get a can of chickpeas, and drain it well. Sprinkle it with some type of oil (e.g., olive oil or coconut oil), and season it (e.g., savory = italian seasoning and salt; sweet = cinnamon and a touch of brown sugar; etc.).

Or, my all time fav...smoothies. Get a blender, and put frozen bananas, peanut butter (I prefer powder), greek yogurt, milk/water, chocolate chips and raisins (optional).

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Candylou11
    Candylou11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I make baked granola bars that may work for your situation. This is essentially a double batch. I get about 17 bars from this, and each one is about 125 calories.

4 cups ground rolled oats
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup oil
    1/4 cup honey
    1 cup brown sugar
    Iam assuming that you bake these. How long? Temp?
  • JoanneC_Walks
    JoanneC_Walks Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just made these baked asparagus fries last weekend. I substituted low fat mayo for the mayo, and they were great. I found the recipe on the PBS Parents' Kitchen Explorer site so it is "kid-friendly."

http://www.pbs.org/parents/kitchenexplorers/2015/01/01/asparagus-fries/

Note: If these stick around long enough to have any left over. They are OK if you warm them in foil and reheat them for 5-10 minutes. Although they taste best right out of the oven.