Judge my diary: I just made it public!

Options
I have been on a 16-day streak. I know, that's *nothing* compared to most of y'all, but I need some help and I want advice from the experts!

I am 174 lbs. I'm 5'4" I want to be 135 lbs again. I'm 30% body fat.

My TDEE is 1900 cals. I work out 3-4 times a week, some bodyweight exercises but mostly running. I love running.

I've just been trying to keep my eating under 1500 calories a day. It's really difficult. I also try really hard not to use the quick cals because it's insanely unproductive, I know.

1. I have a scale and weigh everything I possibly can. If I bring an orange or grapefruit to work, I don't weigh it. I estimate from past oranges and grapefruits i've had in the past at home.
2. I've been seriously considering doing an Atkins type style of eating, low carb. 10 years ago it worked really well when I wanted to shed an easy 10 lbs.
3. I haven't lost an ounce of weight in the past 16 days. But, I wasn't really expecting to. I know this is a process.
4. I'm a night eater, and I can't sleep if I'm feeling hungry. 90% of my calories are eaten after 5pm.

Thank you for any/all advice! I was logging on MFP all of 2014, and I hit a lot of road blocks.

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    1) weigh your orange or grapefruit before going to work, either peeling and then weighing or just saving the peel to re-weight after work.

2) Why? CICO. The only benefits you'll experience will be losing more water weight (which is temporary, as you'll gain it back if and when you return to eating carbs like a normal person)

3) You are either a) eating more than you think, b) eating too much for your actual energy needs, c) retaining water if you're just starting out a new exercise regimen.

4) Doesn't matter. CICO. I'm finding that I prefer eating more in the evening as well, or at least having the opportunity to basically eat nearer supper time and then again before bed.

As for problems with your logging....

a) your calorie goal is reaaaaaaaaaaaally low. I can easily see you becoming more lethargic as a result if what you log is even close to your actual consumption, which thus lowers your energy needs and thus makes the deficit less than waht you are wanting.

b) you don't appear to be weighing most things despite saying you try to weigh everything. E.g. honey is always listed as 21g (are you weighing it out to 21g each time?), this entry - "Lay - Barbecue Potato Chips, 0.5 package (oz)" - seems super generic (what is the net weight of the bag you ate? Did you bother weighing it? How do you know this listing matches to the bag you ate?), your oranges always come in at the same weight, you are using a generic recipe entry (popcorn -- enter your own recipe or simply add in the ml/volume of oil you used and then weigh the kernels before adding to the oil) AND measuring it by cups instead of weight, wtf is this "Duplicate Entry - Spinach Tortilla (Duplicate), 1 tortilla"?, Avocado weighed in the same twice, same weight again for the tomatoes

c) your protein is super super super low. I'd recommend increasing your calories (i.e. reduce your goal to no more than 1lb/week) and increasing your protein along with it - 0.82x your total weight is standard for people who are concerned with maintaining lean body mass, i.e. muscle and bone density. At a minimum, at least aim for 0.6x your total weight.

d) no need to search "hard-boiled eggs." Just log 2 large eggs... calories won't change just because you hard boil or fry or scramble etc. Only reason it will change is when you add oil and based on eggs weighing in differently.

e) many of us will recommend weighing pre-packaged foods, including things like bacon and chips etc. Of all the pre-packaged foods I buy I think only my tuna, rice cakes, Breton GF crackers, and potentially the hot cross buns I bought a while ago weigh in to the weight listed on the packaging. I've had slices of bacon that lists e.g. 2 slices as 50g but I can get 3 slices for 60g or something (20g per slice instead of 25g).
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I think you should aim a bit higher, about 1400-1500 calories a day. I second increasing protein to about 30% daily calories. Honestly, I'd be really hungry too if this was all I ate. So far today, I've had about 1300 calories, and its WAY more food. Take a look if you want, my diary is open.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just don't see, even if I'm not weighing *everything* how I could possibly be eating 1900 calories or more per day. That would mean that I'm off by about 500+ calories EVERY DAY! That's pretty absurd, considering I do weigh the honey every time, I weighed the bag of chips (that was the most accurate entry in the MFP I could find for exactly how much I ate) I weigh every avocado and tomato I eat.

I will definitely up the protein. I'm only considering doing a low carb diet because when I did it 10 years ago when I was 135, I dropped to 125 pretty easily.
  • ana3067
    Options
    krawhitham wrote: »
    Thank you! I just don't see, even if I'm not weighing *everything* how I could possibly be eating 1900 calories or more per day. That would mean that I'm off by about 500+ calories EVERY DAY! That's pretty absurd, considering I do weigh the honey every time, I weighed the bag of chips (that was the most accurate entry in the MFP I could find for exactly how much I ate) I weigh every avocado and tomato I eat.

I will definitely up the protein. I'm only considering doing a low carb diet because when I did it 10 years ago when I was 135, I dropped to 125 pretty easily.

you dropped easily because of water weight. It's not going to help with fat loss unless it's the only way you can sanely sustain a calorie deficit.

If you weigh every avocado and tomato, why are they all the same weight? I have a bag of apples and I bet they'd all be different weights. Especially when you also account for parts that I won't eat (usually around 20-25g from the core). Avocados are calorie dense from what I remember. Plenty of fruit can also be calorie dense too. Your one cupcake today could have been off - the donuts I have are supposed to be 53g each and they can easily weigh in at almost 70g each. Your bacon could also be off, perhaps the 2 slices are supposed to be 20g but in reality they are 35g. And then of course your oil-popped pop-corn that is not your recipe means that you could be eating way more calories than you realize. If a food entry isn't in the database, add it to your private database and use that.

Are you also truly logging everything you eat? If you were eating only 1200ish a day, you would be losing way too much. So that's clearly the likely answer.
  • krawhitham
    Options
    Yes, I'm logging absolutely everything.

I measure/weigh the oil and the amount of popcorn I pop and add the calories in the first entry I see in the MFP database and it equals the amount of calories I've added by adding the oil and popcorn that I just made together. I hope that makes sense, but in reality I am measuring and logging all calories even if the database doesn't have *exactly* what I'm looking for.

I got down to 159 last year, and I don't even know what I was doing differently other than the fact that I didn't have a job so I had 100% control over when i was working out and when i was eating.
  • ana3067
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Then why don't you log the oil, and then log the popcorn kernels? Instead of using some random entry.

You were eating below your maintenance, either by eating less than normal or by working out more than normal. It's all figuring out your balance.

I recommend that you actually weigh everything. Calculate your estimated maintenance needs from a calculator like exrx.net or health-calc.com. Subtract 20%, see how that number compares to your MFP number. I'm assuming you aren't exercising since you don't log anything, so just make sure you calculate on the external websites without including any exercise you may be doing to get a proper comparison number to MFP's estimations.
  • krawhitham
    Options
    Yeah, I know I CAN do it, it's just a matter of how... after over a year on MFP i'm beginning to think this isn't the best way for me.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    A lot of your entrees have the same weight over and over...
    Noticing this tells me your not weighing accurate... and yes it adds up, every day again.

You are calorie intake is more than you think/log.
  • ana3067
    Options
    krawhitham wrote: »
    Yeah, I know I CAN do it, it's just a matter of how... after over a year on MFP i'm beginning to think this isn't the best way for me.

The how is easy: take the food you want to eat, place on your scale, log the weight, eat. It's the same process you are using now, only... with actually weighing?

Losing weight is about being at a caloric deficit. If you think you can do this without tracking calories then that's fine, but in my experience it isn't nearly as controllable or as "freeing." I had to be very restrictive with waht I ate and workout like 6-7 hours a week to lose weight without tracking, and it clearly was not sustainable as I gained weight back. If you think that you can do it successfully and from there learn how to maintain long term, then that's also fine.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Something people aren't talking about here, is a possible cortisol imbalance. If you are eating most of your calories at night, it is likely that your cortisol levels that can help with weight loss are out of wack. Here is a link for more info: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=53304

I would really recommend eating breakfast and having an even eating pattern throughout the day so you aren't so hungry at night. Even if you don't change what you are eating, changing when you eat it can help with weight loss, or at least make your day more stable. It's likely to give you more energy as well, which could lead to a higher calorie burn because you are more likely to go for a walk etc.

I do agree that much of the weight lost from low carb is from water. It is possible it works for you and your personal blood sugar levels though. Going low carb will affect your runs, since the muscle glycogen that sustains your run will be low. Maybe try a middle road with a 30/30/40 split (30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carb)

I am getting my masters in nutrition, which is how I know all this! Let me know if it was confusing. Is it possible you aren't weighing/logging properly? Maybe, I don't know, but you have such a huge deficit that it is unlikely that would be the whole picture. It's also possible that you will just have a big drop all at once on the scale, it works like that sometimes.
  • nvtvshvsuraya
    nvtvshvsuraya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat most of your calories before 5pm .. eat frequently in small portions (helps you to fight craving)
    And try to change yr sleeping habits .last but not least ,dont lose hope .. You are almost there
  • nvtvshvsuraya
    nvtvshvsuraya Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Drink more water ! :smile: and drink some good green tea (no sugar ) it will help you to get rid of excess water frm your body and boost your metabolism tooo
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I agree with the weighing food and I will tell you why... I DO have a medical condition where I have to be extremely diligent weighing everything and I have 2 scales.. one stays in my bag and I carry it with me. Too much for some, sure, but I have to.

It is all about knowing and accepting what you do. If you want the result then you have to do the annoying. I can log 100g of grapes because I am anal enough to stand there picking grapes off and even cutting in half to make it 100g lol

Use the barcode scanner.. its your best friend!!! Be prepared to do math... I keep a notepad on my counter to write my weights down then do the necessary divisions for servings :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I think you should eat most of your calories before 5pm .. eat frequently in small portions (helps you to fight craving)
    And try to change yr sleeping habits .last but not least ,dont lose hope .. You are almost there

No! Timing has no relevance on weight loss.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Drink more water ! :smile: and drink some good green tea (no sugar ) it will help you to get rid of excess water frm your body and boost your metabolism tooo

NO again, where are you getting this? Green tea DOES NOT boost your metabolism!
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Lol Lis.. you are making my day this morning lol
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Eat before 5 pm?? Why? What happens if I travel to another time zone? After 5 pm do the gremlins come out and turn it all to fat??

Not measuring & weighing properly, eating more than you think would be the issue
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Why does it appear to me that OP deactivated? -.^
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Might have... Happens frequently when they don't want to believe it really is simple lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Why does it appear to me that OP deactivated? -.^

Didn't want to hear the truth?