Heart rate monitors

Options
I know alot of you out there own heart rate monitors. I would just like some insight on the best place to buy one and the best kind, most accurate to buy. I have always wanted the kind that the biggest loser contestants wear on their biceps, I believe 24/7 fitness supplies theirs. But I don't know if you can just buy them or if you have to be a member there. Does anybody have any advice for me? Thanks!

Replies

• nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Hi. I just got a Polar FT4 about a week ago from Sports Authority.

I am definitely not an expert with it, but like it so far.
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    bump!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    bump - 5 more pounds and i get to reward myself with one!
  • finabella
    finabella Posts: 176
    Options
    I recently purchased a Polar FT7 and I love it. It comes with the chest strap tells me if I'm in fat burn or fitness mode. What my heart rate is, max and average heart rate after a workout. It stores your workouts as well so you can go back and view days and weeks. It also lets me know Calories burned.
    The FT7 also has the ability that you can change the batteries in the watch and chest stap yourself and not have to send it back to Polar saving you allot of money. I'm in Australia so where I purchased it online wouldn't help you but you will find allot of stores that do just look for the best price and delivery fee.
  • runningfrmfood
    Options
    We don't have a lot of stores around here where they are available, so I got one from Amazon. I know Heart Rate Monitors USA also has good prices. I use the Polar F11 and like it. I also have a Garmin Forerunner 305. Got both from Amazon.
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Completely agree with Finabella. I absolutely love my Polar FT7.

The features are great, and the chest strap it has allows you to more accurately know your calorie burns.

It also is very user friendly, and aesthetically pleasing.

I bought mine online directly from Polar, they gave me a 30% off coupon and my heart was set on the FT7.
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Polars are supposed to be one of the best. I recently got a Polar FT7, and I'm really happy with it. The chest strap is very comfortable, and it doesn't get in the way at all. I love that I can get my heart rate and calorie burn by just looking at my watch and I don't even have to stop working out. It was $89.98 after rebate at ****'s Sporting Goods.
  • jruns
    jruns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The only downside with Polars is that sometimes you have to mail them in back to the company when the battery dies. I heard some of the new ones you don't have to do that. That is why I have never gotten one. I had a friend who's HR monitor battery died and it was gonna take 4 weeks before she would get it back and 60.00 to replace. She decided to buy a new one.
    I think Timex HR monitors are the best. I have always had one and loved it. Happy shopping! :)
  • steffystef
    steffystef Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7! Got mine at sports authority and I am happy with it! Recommend it for anyone that wants something easy to set up and understand as you work out. :)

5625584.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If you can't imagine from going from the Smart Phones we all use today, back to the old cell phones that only made calls, then read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/heart-rate-monitor-watches-something-to-consider-69776

Before long, I suspect that any HRM without GPS will be almost obsolete. Something to consider before you buy any HRM. If you are not the type to exercise (walk, run, hike, bike) outside, then a simple HRM should be sufficient. Just wanted to tip you off to the options out there before you made a choice. :)

Good luck and have fun!!
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The only downside with Polars is that sometimes you have to mail them in back to the company when the battery dies. I heard some of the new ones you don't have to do that. That is why I have never gotten one. I had a friend who's HR monitor battery died and it was gonna take 4 weeks before she would get it back and 60.00 to replace. She decided to buy a new one.
    I think Timex HR monitors are the best. I have always had one and loved it. Happy shopping! :)

With the new FT7 (I know this model at least) you are able to change the batteries out yourself. So, it's not costly or time-consuming to have to send it out to Polar and have them replace it for you.

That's actually one of the features that convinced me to go for my FT7. I have truly not regretted the purchase since.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F11, but like others have said, you need to send it to Polar to have the battery replaced (though I did it myself once already.) The F7 is designed for the user to change the battery. I don't know about the arm ones, but the chest straps are designed for accuracy.
  • msheldon88
    msheldon88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just got a Sportline duo 1060 from best buy and I love it. The best thing about it is that I had 30 days to try it and if I didn't like it, i could have taken it back. But no need because I love it and find it very accurate!
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and I absolutely love it! I purchased it from heartratemonitors.com. They have a low price guarantee, ship usually the next day and have free shipping on every order. Wonderful customer service, I purchased mine and my sisters from them and they have a great selection! On the Polar FT7, you can change out the batteries yourself. The batteries you can purchase from RadioShack or any retail store. The Polar FT7 tracks calories burned, how long you have been in fat burn and how long you have been in fitness. It stores data, it has an alarm to let you know if you are going over your limit...I highly recommend this model!
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    I just got my polar ft7 from Amazon. So far love it! very easy to use. Biggest loser uses the bodybugg which I think run a little over $200. my polar was less than half that. I got the black/gold model cheaper, I think it is a less popular choice than the others. It has the chest strap which feels like the band on my sports bra... you know its there, but its not uncomfortable. I looked into Garmin for the GPS, but decided it was something I could do without. I have a free app on my BB that will track pace and distance if I want it. Most of my workouts are in the gym and I'm not a runner so I didn't need it for pace tracking and those kinds of things. I was just looking for the HRM/ calorie tracking. Feel free to ask me any questions about it if you like!
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with my polar RS300SX but decided I wanted the R toR Heart rate recording that comes wit the RS800cx. So I bid on one at ebay and got it for substantially less that the retail price. Just came this evening and I will use it for my biking tomorow. I actually also wear a garmin strap which transmits to my iohone on the bike. I use the RUnkeeper app because i REALLY like the way it presents the map and summary of the trip. Using the HRM keeps me motivated and it shows when I am dogging it!
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Mine's expensive and great. I'm allergic to metal so I use this one, called the " epulse2 " -- I'm using it anyways with the EA Sports Active 2 that we bought, this is just the standalone version. And it's great.

http://www.amazon.com/ePulse2-Strapless-Monitor-Calorie-Counter/dp/B003YDOO2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1304657482&sr=1-1
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    A question I have about HRM is: I have a Polar F4 and wonder if you can press one of the buttons to find out how many calories you have burnt during a workout. If you pause it you get your current heart rate and if you press another button it stops. Would love to see how many calories I have burnt so far especialy as I am training for my 100k walk in July!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I have a Sigma PC11 from Amazon which was £20. Works a treat, the only prob is it loses signal when I bend over. Other than that I really like it.
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    @carolah= when you stop your workout press the middle button on the right to show time & calories then press the other buttons up/down to show avg heart rate etc.

I love my polar ft4 had it 2 werks & it's really improved my workouts. I can change the batteries at home, i got it on ebay with wearlink chest strap for half the price on the polar website :)