calories

Hi,
I've recently joined and added height weight etc in but my calories seem very high. I've got to eat 1,950. Is anyone else's this amount? I'm just trying to maintain weight and tone up aswell l as abit of fitness classes. Sam

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2015
    Sounds reasonable for maintenance.

Though if you want to 'tone up' you will probably want a small deficit as you need to lose fat.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    My maintenance is theoretically 2,300. I have a high activity level though. I don't think it's unreasonable, but I would err 100 calories under to be safe
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    The calorie goal is actually 1950 plus exercise calories.

You haven't mentioned your height and weight so no-one can compare their maintenance goal to yours. There is a maintaining weight forum by the way which may be of interest to you.

2,000 is often stated as an average amount for a woman but obviously that's encompasses enormous variations.

Whatever allowance you choose you will have to try and be consistent and see what happens over a number of weeks. After that you will be able to make any adjustments (up or down) to fine tune things.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    This might be including exercise, it depends on what activity level she put.
  • samanthasinton
    samanthasinton Posts: 7 Member
    edited January 2015
    I'm 5 ft 2 and weight 8.2 st (just weighed now) I was yrs ago underweight at 7 st so my goal was to reach 8st, but at the moment it's all went on my lower part of my belly and I'm wanting to tone up and feel just normal and confident. I've put active as I'm at gym every other day. Today is zumba and then body attack with a quick run outside. everyone's response is a great help thanks. I suppose I'm scared about calories as I don't want to be underweight again but at the same time not overweight for my height.
  • TavistockToad
    I'm 5 ft 2 and weight 8.2 st (just weighed now) I was yrs ago underweight at 7 st so my goal was to reach 8st, but at the moment it's all went on my lower part of my belly and I'm wanting to tone up and feel just normal and confident. I've put active as I'm at gym every other day. Today is zumba and then body attack with a quick run outside. everyone's response is a great help thanks. I suppose I'm scared about calories as I don't want to be underweight again but at the same time not overweight for my height.

I'd look at calculating your TDEE if you don't want to follow MFPs method of eating back exercise cals.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

You have made what is quite a common mistake with your settings - if you are following the MFP method then your exercise is not part of your activity setting. Activity just means day to day activity, job and lifestyle not dedicated exercise.

MFP is not like TDEE calculators in that respect. Choose whichever method suits you best - they both work but don't confuse the two!
  • samanthasinton
    samanthasinton Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks, what does all these letters mean like,,,, MFP and TDEE
  • TavistockToad
    Thanks, what does all these letters mean like,,,, MFP and TDEE

MFP = my fitness pal
    TDEE = total daily energy expenditure