What are the health benefits of yoga and pilates?

Options
I'm thinking of trying yoga (and maybe pilates too). I have never done it before and I'm hoping that it might just help with my anxiety and stress. I was wondering if anyone does yoga and/or pilates and if they have helped at all. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Flexibility and strength to answer your subject question. I also find yoga helps loosen my muscles and joints up in the morning.
  • sewjam
    sewjam Posts: 1
    Options
    Definitely helps with stress and anxiety. Relaxing and focusing...helps stretch out anxious muscles!
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Strength in core
    Strength in limbs
    Flexibility in joints
    Improved balance
    Improved body tone and shape
    Confidence with own body and its limitations
    Improved well-being and self-esteem
    Improved breathing control
    Calmness and feeling centred
    Ability to focus throughout the rest of the day
    A great night's sleep afterwards
    Ability to keep calm when faced with stresses and to rationalise problems

Will that do?
    xxx <3:) (*)
  • nev888
    nev888 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I started doing both a couple of months ago and have never slept better! Also improving my strength and flexibility. Highly recommend.
  • hadiachatila89
    hadiachatila89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started yoga couple days ago start out slow and you'll be hooked.
  • mariaoutlook
    Options
    Thanks for your answers.

I have stress because the company I work for isn't doing well. Exercising helps me to sleep and I was thinking about doing yoga one or two days a week. Because yoga is very slow paced I wasn't sure if it really works and is at good as the Yoga club says. I'll definitively give it a go. Thanks again.
  • brokebackmotors
    brokebackmotors Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One more vote for yoga. Went to a training thing where they "forced" us to yoga every AM for the first week. Left with an appreciation of just how good of a body thing that is, and the instructor told us at the end how easy he was going on us...
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Yoga is my main form of exercise. It feels great on my body, and it's helping me become way more flexible than I used to be. I feel fantastic when I'm done. Super relaxed and just generally feeling good. It's also really good for my bad back. :)

Pilates are good too. I don't do them that often, cuz I find it really hard. Plus, I don't have as many videos. But it's really good for core strength. They actually both are, but pilates kills my abs. And legs. They are both good for building long, lean muscles.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    just a note to say there are different types of yoga-start with a gentle type as it is more stress reducing. I do gentle (Hatha) once a week and power (ashtanga) once a week. Both help strength and balance.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't use yoga as my primary form of training, but I do yoga virtually every day for stretching and just general wellness. I get so much stress relief and relaxation from yoga! I also use it for core work and balance.

Pilates is a fun way to burn calories for me sometimes, but that's about it. Not great for building strength an a bit "busy" for me to get much out of it for relaxation/mental wellbeing.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy pilates. I use www.blogilates.com and it has helped me feel stronger and calmer
  • drmartz55
    drmartz55 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I began practicing yoga last year & found it to be a great stress reliever. I now practice it about 3 days a week along with a cardio fit class 4 days wk. Has helped me tremendously with balance & flexibility as well as relaxation.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,991 Member
    Options
    I also do the blogilates.com I love it it helps to build muscle, strenth, relatation just makes me feel better in general
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Strength in core
    Strength in limbs
    Flexibility in joints
    Improved balance
    Improved body tone and shape
    Confidence with own body and its limitations
    Improved well-being and self-esteem
    Improved breathing control
    Calmness and feeling centred