Junk Food while in Calorie Deficit to Lose weight?

Options
Given I meet my daily macros and am in a calorie deficit, is it possible for me to lose fat while still having junk food in my diet? I don't want to eat healthy all the time and want to satisfy my cravings by having junk food in addition to healthy food throughout the day. I am worried that eating junk food will hinder my fat loss efforts. I've observed diets of bikini competitors and while they do iifym, they eat a standard bodybuilding diet, consisting of lean protein, vegetables and complex carbs. Should I also be as strict with my diet? Should I abandon all junk food and meet my macros by eating from healthy food sources or should i continue to eat healthy with a few junk food here and there?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I've lost 34 pounds while occasionally eating junk food. If you want it, make the calories for it.

ps I am convinced that bikini models/fitness experts/celebrities are all lying when they claim all they eat is quinoa and salad. I just don't buy it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I've lost 34 pounds while occasionally eating junk food. If you want it, make the calories for it.

ps I am convinced that bikini models/fitness experts/celebrities are all lying when they claim all they eat is quinoa and salad. I just don't buy it.

Models? I don't buy that they eat anything at all lol.

And yes. I make room each day to have something I know I'll want (a serving of chips, serving of chocolate etc).
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    as long as you maintain a caloric deficit you will lose weight. however, eating processed foods high in sugar are less satisfying than veg/meat.
  • oxers
    oxers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've lost all my weight eating basically whatever the hell I want. That mostly translates to whole, unprocessed foods and watching my macros because a: that's more satisfying - I HATE being hungry, and b: my body feels so so so much better when I do. I haven't given up banana bread or chocolate or cheesecake or pasta, though. I just fill my meals in with good stuff, make sure I'm under my calories and whatever's left over is a free for all. Keeps me from going bonkers and falling off the wagon entirely.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Yummm cake... Damn now I want cake lol
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't need to abandon anything, you need to be in a caloric deficit. I have some kind of a treat daily; brownies, ice cream or cheesecake....okay chocolate. I just make sure they fit into my caloric allowance.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yep. Look up "The Twinkie Diet" if you have doubts. :smile:

Just make sure you log all of it and stay within your calorie limit.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Me too!
    91sn9tlkndou.gif

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I lost about 2lb a week, every week, whilst eating takeaway every Saturday night and a chocolate bar every day.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've lost 43lb so far whist regularly indulging in treats (I believe my diary is open to all - take a peek if you want). I normally feel like I have more energy if I'm eating mostly nutrient dense whole foods and that's what I try for but sometimes (fairly frequently in my case) you've just got to have pizza or crisps or cake.

If it fits your day/week, it's not going to affect your weight loss.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Me too!
    91sn9tlkndou.gif

I hate you LOL j/k

Do NOT be stalking my diary the first week of March... Disneyworld and I will eat and drink everything lol
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I allow myself 1 night off, yesterday I had 2 vodka and diet coke then KFC but still have a huge calorie deficit for the whole week. Something like 1400 calories under my allowance for the week.

My target is 1760 calories a day to lose 1lb a week but tend to be round the 1300 mark most days. Even Wednesday, after looking at pre made sandwiches in Greggs etc I worked out there were less calories and fat in a chicken burger!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I still have junk food all the time and I lose pretty steadily. Just yesterday I had a Twix bar -- I was over on calories for the day because I ate at maintenance, but I'm still in a deficit for the week (I bank calories during the week so I can splurge on Friday) and I lost a full pound. I drink my fair share of booze, too!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of food... junk or otherwise. I still make progress.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight whatever you eat - if Junks your Funk then scoff on and enjoy.

Dieting will only work if you tailor it to your wants and needs, eat the food you love - just eat it in a deficit (oh and make sure you hit your protein goals)!
  • Happyme2009
    Happyme2009 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where the cal come from, if the total count is under. But surely it's healthier to avoid junk. I used to eat clean 5 days a week, and save my junk for weekends.... The cheat days were Sat. Or Sun. Or both.... On Monday I would weight 5 lbs extra, but by Wed. all was gone.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of it as "health" food or "junk" food. It's just food. Eat whatever you like, as long as you can make it fit your calorie and macro goals.

I have lost more than 20lbs so far and I eat chocolate basically every day. 'Cause chocolate is yummy. And 'cause I'm losing weight to be healthier and happier, and a life without chocolate would make me miserable.
  • clambert1273
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Stop thinking of it as "health" food or "junk" food. It's just food. Eat whatever you like, as long as you can make it fit your calorie and macro goals.

I have lost more than 20lbs so far and I eat chocolate basically every day. 'Cause chocolate is yummy. And 'cause I'm losing weight to be healthier and happier, and a life without chocolate would make me miserable.

and there is a reason why we are friends :P
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    and there is a reason why we are friends :P

Yep! Team chocolate all the way.
  • Pootler74
    Pootler74 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    As with nearly everything in life, you need to find balance.

Lots of people on MFP, myself included, have been successful by eating 'clean' (lots of fruit and vegetables prepared from scratch, healthy proteins, whole grains, good fats and so on) MOST of the time, but making sure that they include the less healthy foods they love.

You'll see IIFYM bandied around a lot, but basically, if you want a treat, make it fit into your calorie allowance and have it, and don't worry about the carbs or protein for that day. As long as you mostly eat well the rest of the time, and you are still at a caloric deficit, then you should lose weight. And if you adopt this attitude, then you're more likely to get to target and stay there.

I eat takeaways, pizza, ice cream, McDonald's, chocolate, bacon and butter and I'm still losing weight without being hungry. :-)