Help conquering afternoon munchies

Options
Let me start by saying I'm back here again, trying to lead a healthy lifestyle. (aka lose weight)
I do well in the morning and the evening but its the afternoon's that get me every day.
I find myself hungry around 2:30-3pm and mindlessly eat something stupid. By stupid, I mean a hand full of tortilla chips, or if I can track down any type of chocolate at all, I will eat that.

My twin boys are home from college until next week, which is why I have the tortilla chips in my house. Since they went off in August, I don't buy anything tempting so that I won't eat it.

Any advice or ideas on what I can keep on hand for these moments? Thanks in advance

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Either make them part of your calorie count for the day or just don't eat them.
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Either make them part of your calorie count for the day or just don't eat them.

I do count them. The hard part is not eating them. If I could solve that I wouldn't be in the shape I'm in today :(
  • spotsonmyapple
    spotsonmyapple Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find that if I just wait a bit longer to eat lunch, I'm able to beat that afternoon blackhole. Or alternatively, split your lunch up into two parts - one half at your normal lunchtime, and the other half around the time you'd normally start to feel like you want to just eat 'stupid' stuff.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    But you don't keep the chips in your house the rest of the year but only when your kids come home, then eat them. When they are gone, get back to logging and eating at a caloric deficit.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Eat something with protein for a snack. String cheese, beef jerky, small cup of beans, dried chickpeas, greek yogurt. boiled egg...
  • Skyz4dayz
    Skyz4dayz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same issue! I do great for breakfast and lunch, and then BOOM! My son goes down for a nap and I hit up the pantry. Tortilla chips are my drug of choice for munchies, but yesterday I boiled a little broccoli and added a bit of Cheddar cheese and it was pretty delicious! Helped me get through until dinner time. Now, if only I could avoid the before bed snack attack…...
  • jadior
    jadior Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll give these a try!
  • jessicatrogers1
    jessicatrogers1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I do find if I don't eat dinner at 5pm I go down the rabbit hole. I can hold off the munchies only so long. I wonder if it is a body chemistry thing.