How do you log cooking spray?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well my question to all of you is... do you log oil? Because you should. It adds up. So I don't see how I'm really overthinking it that much, considering that most people use more than one spray to coat a pan anyway...

But thanks. I guess I'll just add 10 calories or something.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm starting to think I should just quick add 10 calories or something every time I use it...

I add .1 tbsp, which comes to just over that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Well my question to all of you is... do you log oil? Because you should. It adds up. So I don't see how I'm really overthinking it that much, considering that most people use more than one spray to coat a pan anyway...

But thanks. I guess I'll just add 10 calories or something.

Plain oil is different from an actual "0 calorie" spray. I measure and log oil accordingly.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Even with my sprays of several seconds, much less oil is used than even the smallest measure I could get from bottled oil and measuring spoons or brushing the pan with an oil dipped silicone brush.
    I do log oil, but that's because I find it difficult to measure such a conservative amount of it where it wouldn't be worth the bother of logging it. It's always worth the bother.

I don't think you're over thinking it given you have a small deficit and keeping your logging as tight as possible is the best way to ensure you don't accidentally slip into maintenance.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    How did you lose 80 pounds?
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Well the problem is that they are supposedly 0 calories for 1/3 second spray, but who uses 1/3 second spray? And how many calories are in a, say, 1 second spray?
    If 1/3 second is 0, then one second MUST be less than 3 calories. This is so trivial that it is effectively meaningless. You don't even know what your total daily calories burned is with 3 calories accuracy. Unless you are using half the bottle in a single spray, ignore it!

• sabrinalee8
    sabrinalee8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to think I should just quick add 10 calories or something every time I use it...

If using fry light it's 1 cal per spray so just add calories, not the name.
  • Eserra0510
    Eserra0510 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with logging it because the amount of calories is so miniscule. I only log oil or butter when I use it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I don't log cooking spray.
  • hotasfire36
    hotasfire36 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I dont count it
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I log olive oil Pam as a 10 second spray, then add 54 cals to account for the fat.
  • Pamtho2015
    Pamtho2015 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use FryLight "One Cal" spray which is one calorie per squeeze and MFP has it stored as a product. I usually use 5-15 sprays for most things.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    This is a case of what we like to call "Majoring in the Minors."
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't log it. That falls under margin of error to me. Usually when I use it it's because I'm roasting veggies and I've already put the veggies in a bowl with some oil and tossed them. There's some oil left on the inside of the bowl and I don't try to "get back" those calories either. For me that goes over the line of what I'm willing to do for accuracy, especially in maintenance.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't use spray oil. But if I did, I don't think I'd log it, as I don't log "zero calorie" sweeteners, nor my 1-2 pieces of daily sugar free gum and daily Diet Coke/Pepsi. If it says "zero calories" on the package, and I'm using single servings at a time (and only one or two servings daily, not 20 Splendas at a time or something), to me that means "zero calories" in the grand scheme of things. I don't give it another thought.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There's some oil left on the inside of the bowl and I don't try to "get back" those calories either. For me that goes over the line of what I'm willing to do for accuracy, especially in maintenance.

Lol^^^. This reminded me of myself making sure I ate every drop of syrup I'd measured for my pancakes because I'd already "paid" for it by logging it. It's a fine line between pouring too much and not enough. :) It never occurred to me to try to get back oil calories from coating veggies though-that's a good one.

I *may* lick my plate after I eat pancakes (assuming I'm not in restaurant) for that very reason. :blush:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    There's some oil left on the inside of the bowl and I don't try to "get back" those calories either. For me that goes over the line of what I'm willing to do for accuracy, especially in maintenance.

Lol^^^. This reminded me of myself making sure I ate every drop of syrup I'd measured for my pancakes because I'd already "paid" for it by logging it. It's a fine line between pouring too much and not enough. :) It never occurred to me to try to get back oil calories from coating veggies though-that's a good one.

I *may* lick my plate after I eat pancakes (assuming I'm not in restaurant) for that very reason. :blush:

I totally lick the peanut butter/honey/yogurt knife/spoon for this reason, too! I "reverse" weigh those items so I can--place jar on scale, hit "tare", remove your portion, scale reads "- XX grams"--that's your serving, including all the delicious left on the utensil. <3
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    Well the problem is that they are supposedly 0 calories for 1/3 second spray, but who uses 1/3 second spray? And how many calories are in a, say, 1 second spray?
    If 1/3 second is 0, then one second MUST be less than 3 calories. This is so trivial that it is effectively meaningless. You don't even know what your total daily calories burned is with 3 calories accuracy. Unless you are using half the bottle in a single spray, ignore it!

False. It could be up to 12 calories per second due to rounding (anything under 5 calories can be rounded down to zero.)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would log it unless you are cooking with it several times a day and then I would just add maybe 20 cals of oil and move on. You might be eating 50% of the calories in the end so it's not going to make or break your diary. You have to remember that there is always a margin of error and I always assume that I'm off by around 5%, and usually over by that amount, so this is just another part of that margin of error in my books.