scanning foods into "my foods"

Options
Is there any way to use the barcode scanner to enter foods into the " my foods " database instead of entering all the foods manually?

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Bump. Very good question!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Yes… Go to diary, add food, and hit the barcode (on the right), hold phone over barcode on food item until it logs.
  • sari78
    sari78 Posts: 2
    Options
    On a smart phone you can get the myfitnesspal app and scan in foods using the phones camera as you go directly into your log and into the recipe calculator, I'm not sure about the "my foods" database since I don't really use that part of myfitnesspal, but looking at it now it appears you can't. That would be a good feature for myfitnesspal to add.
  • kathrynahedrick
    kathrynahedrick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking, the issue seems to be adding it into "My Foods" - adding it to your diary is a separate function.

I'd love to have the food I use regularly be available in My Foods. I don't understand why it's not a function already - seems a big oversight to me. For instance I make salads with many of the same ingredients, why are they only in "recent" food? Why can't I scan them into my own database?
  • Haje92
    Haje92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This would be a great function for meal prepping, just put a homemade qr/barcode on your prepped meal scan it and you're good to go!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    FatFreeFrolicking, the issue seems to be adding it into "My Foods" - adding it to your diary is a separate function.

I'd love to have the food I use regularly be available in My Foods. I don't understand why it's not a function already - seems a big oversight to me. For instance I make salads with many of the same ingredients, why are they only in "recent" food? Why can't I scan them into my own database?

The My Foods list was not intended as a place for copying public Food Database items or duplicating those items into potentially millions of My Foods lists by scanning a barcode. MFP would have to do a major rewrite of the current Food Database structure to accommodate something like this, and most companies do not comment on planned features and enhancements for proprietary reasons.