I gain weight if I eat above 1000 calories

Options
Did I mess up my body that bad that eating 1000 calories in a day causes weight gain. What can I do to getting my metabolism back on track?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What makes you think you've damaged your metabolism?
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating at maintenance for a month to help your metabolism. You may gain a little weight but you will feel better. Once your body is used to maintenance calories, then you can start cutting up to 500 out or exercise 500 calories worth.
    1000 calories is too little, unless you are a tiny frail old lady, and even then!
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking lots of water to prevent water retention. That could be part of it if you have been forgetting :)

What is your age and height? Do you exercise?
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    How long of a time period are you talking about? Weight goes up and down daily. Are you female? You probably retain water 1-2 times a month.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You're either confusing shifts of water weight with real gains or eating more than you think.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    need more info ….

age/height/gender/weight

how many calorie eating per day?
    how long been dieting? and how many calories per day on said diet...
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Care to tell us your stats age, height weight and even better open your diary. Cant say im convinced that your maintenance is 1000 calories.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If you gain weight at 1000 calories you may want to speak to a Dr. about conditions like PCOS, low thyroid, hashimotos, etc. Bring in your food diary so you can show that the weight gain happens over time (i.e. is not cyclic water gain, sodium water gain, or the water gain you get from starting a new exercise program) while consistently eating at 1000 calories (so 7000 calories intake/week over several weeks gross). There are ways your Dr. can help you to help you lose weight even if you have a low metabolism. If you are eating this low calorie, you should be supervised by a Dr. anyways.

You may want to talk to a nutritionist about how to get adequate nutrition at such a low intake. Ensure you are getting enough protein to prevent damage from malnutrition. 1 g/lb lean body mass or .8 g/kb body weight. This may be higher than what MFP recommends. Talk to your Dr. about whether a multivitamin/ mineral supplement would be right for you.

You may want to try a different exercise program. Some find using HIIT intervals is more effective for weight loss than steady-state cardio. Others like the (admittedly small) metabolism boost from building muscle with strength training. Be careful exercising, and be sure to get the nutrition necessary to avoid injury, protect lean mass, and speed healing.

Even people with very low metabolisms can successfully get down to a healthier weight. Good luck :)
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    If I eat more than 950, I gain too. I am old and sedentary. It happens.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    nosweetpea wrote: »
    Did I mess up my body that bad that eating 1000 calories in a day causes weight gain. What can I do to getting my metabolism back on track?
    If this is true, you need to go to the doctor because you have an underlying medical issue that needs attention.

That said, I suspect you are grossly underestimate your calorie consumed. It's easy to do, and most of us have done this. It's doubtful there is anything wrong with your metabolism.

Do you have a good scale? Do you weigh and log all your food? Do you ensure you are choosing correct food entries?

Do you eat your exercise calories back? If so, where do you get your calorie estimates from? MFP an gym machines grossly overestimate calorie burns.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    If I eat more than 950, I gain too. I am old and sedentary. It happens.

Are you tracking accurately?
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at the number of people who can "maintain" on 1000!!!!