what names do you find attractive on the opposite gender?

Options

Replies

• Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love anything unusual or uncommon... names have a funny way of reflecting the individual.

Or is it that the individual grows into the name?
  • lersie
    lersie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Andrew and that is my boyfriend's name and I think he's hot! :-)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I love anything unusual or uncommon... names have a funny way of reflecting the individual.

Or is it that the individual grows into the name?

Very good question - probably a bit of both, and the circumstances in which they grow up, plus the personality of the person/people naming them, IYSWIM. My youngest is called Ziggy - I had no idea when he was born that he would ever play guitar, but he does, and what's more, he teaches it to people with learning difficulties. Moreover, he's never had a lesson in life!
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Very good question - probably a bit of both, and the circumstances in which they grow up, plus the personality of the person/people naming them, IYSWIM. My youngest is called Ziggy - I had no idea when he was born that he would ever play guitar, but he does, and what's more, he teaches it to people with learning difficulties. Moreover, he's never had a lesson in life!

That's awesome! I work with developmentally disabled adults and know the healing power of music and art. Without the pressure of rules to follow some of the most beautiful minds are bloomed.

I named my daughter Seren Alexandria. It has a duel meaning short for Serendipity, which she has been since the moment I found out she was a girl, and it is also Welsh for star. It will be very interesting to see how, if at all, her name influences her. My birth given name is Raven and I think that by the way people react to me based on their own preconcieved notions and ideas had a roll to play in who I am today. Names can cause a bit of an environmental shift in a young person's life if they are out of the norm.
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    I like anything classic/traditional, e.g. Alexander, William, Thomas, Samuel, Benjamin, etc. (which would pretty much certainly end up being Alex, Will, Tom, Sam, Ben, etc. mind you) that's well known but not insanely over-used. The typical '80s names, Ryan, Kyle, Justin, Brandon, Tyler, Jason, etc. are unattractive to me, and while they're all short for nice names, Matt, Mike, Josh, and Chris are so, so, so over-used that unfortunately I find them unattractive because they've become so boring. I swear there were like five Matts in all of my classes growing up.

I'm not sure how men feel about my name in and of itself, but it evidently offers a lot of opportunities for horrible, horrible pick-up attempts and they seem to make "good use" of that, ugh.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    Names can cause a bit of an environmental shift in a young person's life if they are out of the norm.

That's so true, both in a positive and negative sense! And an unusual name will likely get you remembered!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    wow you have a lot of 'names' in the US that we don't use...wow

OK, I am married to a William Charles, love both the names obviously. My son is named Joshua.

I like names that are not so unusual that they cause discomfort or comment for the child, I work in school nursing and I come across all sorts of names, and generally feel rather sorry for children with names that mean they spend their life explaining how to spell/pronounce it. I suppose that some of the more unusual names on here are more usual in the US and may eliminate this issue. It makes some children so uncomfortable that they actually are too embarrassed to have people know their name, I have come across children who wish to be known as something different as they hate the strange name their parents saddled them with. children are people and the name they are given can define them or help destroy them.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    I like anything classic/traditional, e.g. Alexander, William, Thomas, Samuel, Benjamin, etc. (which would pretty much certainly end up being Alex, Will, Tom, Sam, Ben, etc. mind you) that's well known but not insanely over-used. The typical '80s names, Ryan, Kyle, Justin, Brandon, Tyler, Jason, etc. are unattractive to me, and while they're all short for nice names, Matt, Mike, Josh, and Chris are so, so, so over-used that unfortunately I find them unattractive because they've become so boring. I swear there were like five Matts in all of my classes growing up.

I'm not sure how men feel about my name in and of itself, but it evidently offers a lot of opportunities for horrible, horrible pick-up attempts and they seem to make "good use" of that, ugh.

Juliet is a beautiful and elegant name, IMO. I can't imagine how anyone could turn it into anything vulgar. Or have they just been lame Shakespearean references?!

It's funny you should say that Jason is an '80s name - every Jason I have ever known (including my brother) was born in the '60s! I agree about Josh though - when I named my eldest son Joshua, it was really unusual but within a few years, they were everywhere! Fortunately, Elizabeth (my daughter's name) seems to have remained pretty timeless!
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    loving Jake/Jacob as well. names like Rory, Ethan, Glenn

any name that would suit a lumberjack :P

unfortunately no one seems to like Nikki, it was unusual when i was born in the 80's but now every chav in sight is called it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a midwife, who - a few years ago - delivered a....Burberry! And just to reinforce the stereotype, she was born during her parents' half term school break (she was 14, he was 15).
    No way! :laugh:

I was given an unusual name in an era before it was usual to do so - Berenice. My parents had a friend with the name and liked it. It took me forever to grow into it, so I probably wouldn't wish a similar fate on anyone else.

For men, I like simple, masculine names like Adam, Gary, James or Luke. I have a particular soft spot for Bens :blushing:

I also have a thing for very American sounding names, like Zach or Ethan but only for American men! Brandon's a fave.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    loving Jake/Jacob as well. names like Rory, Ethan, Glenn

any name that would suit a lumberjack :P

unfortunately no one seems to like Nikki, it was unusual when i was born in the 80's but now every chav in sight is called it!

My name was often shortened to Nikki when I was a child - apparently my mother saw a film called 'Nikki, the Wild Dog of the North' when she was pregnant with me, so decided that her child was going to be named after its canine star. While Nikki himself is gorgeous, the film is unspeakably dire! I prefer my proper name though, because I'm not generally a fan of shortened names, but mostly because I feel it suits me better! I've never though of Nikki as being chavvy though - just a bit tomboy-ish!
  • allroundthesun
    Options

Juliet is a beautiful and elegant name, IMO. I can't imagine how anyone could turn it into anything vulgar. Or have they just been lame Shakespearean references?!

It's funny you should say that Jason is an '80s name - every Jason I have ever known (including my brother) was born in the '60s! I agree about Josh though - when I named my eldest son Joshua, it was really unusual but within a few years, they were everywhere! Fortunately, Elizabeth (my daughter's name) seems to have remained pretty timeless!

Nah, nothing vulgar, just really lame, "Are you looking for a Romeo?" and quoting the better known lines from the play and that sort of crap.

ETA: And I LOVE Elizabeth. So classic and pretty.
  • nibbynoo
    nibbynoo Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    its funny how the people you know can shape how you think of a name.
    I used to love the name Noel, then I dated one and he turned out to be a total creep and i cant stand it any more!

Berenice is beautiful! i used to babysit a little french girl called it
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    I have a friend who is a midwife, who - a few years ago - delivered a....Burberry! And just to reinforce the stereotype, she was born during her parents' half term school break (she was 14, he was 15).
    No way! :laugh:

I was given an unusual name in an era before it was usual to do so - Berenice. My parents had a friend with the name and liked it. It took me forever to grow into it, so I probably wouldn't wish a similar fate on anyone else.

For men, I like simple, masculine names like Adam, Gary, James or Luke. I have a particular soft spot for Bens :blushing:

I also have a thing for very American sounding names, like Zach or Ethan but only for American men! Brandon's a fave.

I used to live next-door-but-one to a Berenice - everyone called her Bernie!

There were quite a few Egyptian queens called Berenice (I think the first one was married to Ptolemy I). It's actually a form of Veronica, and means 'bearer of victory', which I think will be highly appropriate when you reach your goal!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    . In Freakonomics (by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner), there is an entire section devoted to names, and how what you name your child could potentially affect their future. Very interesting reading (as is the whole book, actually).
    [/quote]
    i've read this book- it's great.

i like proper manly names that are short. like Ed. and Tom.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    Nah, nothing vulgar, just really lame, "Are you looking for a Romeo?" and quoting the better known lines from the play and that sort of crap.

You mean you were not bowled over by how cultured and witty they were?! :wink:

(I wouldn't be either!)
  • allroundthesun
    Options

You mean you were not bowled over by how cultured and witty they were?! :wink:

(I wouldn't be either!)

Somehow their clever bon mots just didn't have me swooning. Who would have thought?! :wink:
  • TheGoktor
    Options

Somehow their clever bon mots just didn't have me swooning. Who would have thought?! :wink:

They'd probably think bon mots was something kinky!
  • allroundthesun
    Options

They'd probably think bon mots was something kinky!

:laugh: Perhaps I'll use the phrase next time and see what sort of reaction it gets!
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    :laugh: Perhaps I'll use the phrase next time and see what sort of reaction it gets!

I think you should! :devil: