How to gain lean mass

Options
Hi

75kgs. Want to put on 4-5 kgs without it going onto my gut. Anyone got any good eating and training routines that could help?

Replies

• larsencj
    Options
    Try jim stoppani's (might be spelled wrong) Shortcut to size program on bodybuilding.com...great program with a diet to follow along...also has an excellent Shortcut to shred program
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    larsencj wrote: »
    Try jim stoppani's (might be spelled wrong) Shortcut to size program on bodybuilding.com...great program with a diet to follow along...also has an excellent Shortcut to shred program

Do not do this.
    It's a horrible program, both training outline & diet.

Basically anything found on the main pages of BodyBuilding.com, likely should be avoided.

Also, ditch the idea that you're going to pack on nothing but lean mass, you're not. Fat gains are inevitable when bulking.

Does that mean you have to get fat? No, but you are going to develop some in the process.

Keep your calorie surplus lower (around 250 calorie surplus/day above TDEE) and train following a quality program.

Something like Starting Strength is a great option.
    Also ICF 5x5 worked well for me during my first bulk.
  • jforjorden
    jforjorden Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Do not do this.

Basically anything found on the main pages of BodyBuilding.com, likely should be avoided.

Also, ditch the idea that you're going to pack on nothing but lean mass, you're not. Fat gains are inevitable when bulking.

Does that mean you have to get fat? No, but you are going to develop some in the process.

Keep your calorie surplus lower (around 250 calorie surplus/day above TDEE) and train following a quality program.

This. I'd recommend hopping on ICF 5x5
    Start with light weight and keep calories @ maintenance/100-200 surplus for about a month.
    Try to add weight to the bar every workout, once you start stalling, then start upping the calories by 100 every two weeks for a month. (You should be at a 300-400 calorie surplus)
    Gain 2-3lbs every month for about 4-5 months and you'll be good to go.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Do not do this.

^ listen to this guy
  • metamorphoo1
    Options

Do not do this.

Would you suggest the same surplus on rest days?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Do not do this.

yes…if your surplus puts you at 3000 calories a day then you eat 3000 a day for the entire bulking period…you need the calories to build muscle….
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options

Do not do this.

Yup.

Keep it simple.

• shawntane37
    Options

Do not do this.

That's everything you need to know starting out. Keep it simple and don't buy in to a lot of crap programs. Most of the information is free if you take the time and research. Be patient, it takes time and hard work. That is something most don't tell you. Realistically it might take you a little less than a year to put that much lean mass on depending on how your body responses. Good luck.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    stick to grains mostly lentil in your diet
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    needernt wrote: »
    stick to grains mostly lentil in your diet

Haha I just had an image of the poor guy exploding on the leg press.

the recommendation is 250 for women 500 for guys usually, but if I were starting I'd keep it low and learn how to lift before going on a proper bulk then cut.

Jan-july small excess, learn to lift like a *kitten*
    July - jan 2016 proper bulk (1lb a week 15-plus pounds?)
    Jan 16-April 16 cut (7lbs of mostly fat)

Summer '16, women the world over fall at your feet.
    Simple.
  • LiftBig68
    Options
    Look up IIFYM. Slowly add calories. Nice slow lean bulk. A good representation would be maybe Omar Isuf on youtube. Big advicater of the lean bulk.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    LiftBig68 wrote: »
    Look up IIFYM. Slowly add calories. Nice slow lean bulk. A good representation would be maybe Omar Isuf on youtube. Big advicater of the lean bulk.

Or in more specific terms, a clean bulk of 500 calories over maintenance per day for men is what most people do. The fat gain is unavoidable, and will be removed by a nice cut at the end of the bulk process. As far as macros are concerned, .8g of protein per pound of body weight, .35g of fat per pound of body weight. Fill the rest with carbs. Any carbs. Get your nutrition, but as long as you tick those boxes you can bulk successfully on anything.