alcohol

I haven't had a drink in 2 weeks. I can't believe how much better I feel without alcohol. Anyone else shocked at the difference?

Replies

• Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    I drink a lot less than before because it was shocking to see how many calories are in alcohol - I didn't know that before. But now when I drink I want to have more, because I know I won't drink for a while, and I get super hungry :( and then I eat.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    I haven't cut anything out entirely, and that includes alcohol. But I do drink less because, as Marianna said, it's got a lot of calories. I enjoy craft beer and make room for the occasional tasting event or festival, and I sometimes enjoy a glass of wine or a drink with dinner. If I go out dancing, I try to alternate my drinks with water, and I spend more time on the dance floor and less time at the bar.

Everything in moderation.
  • I am a recovering alcoholic I can say without a doubt life is better for me without alcohol. Not only do I feel better, I think more clearly, and I am infinitely more happy. I am glad you feel better. I will say that I thought that simply stopping drinking would massively reduce my weight. This did not occur lol. I found that I had used food much like I used drugs and alcohol. This app has kept me accountable with my diet just like my family has with my other addictions. Sorry for the long post lol just wanted to share.
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    I have heavily cut down from average 2 a day with 5 or 6 Friday's, to having one every other day and 3 on Friday... It was just about the calories for me but I love not having any more hangovers :-)
  • segacs
    beefy913 wrote: »
    I am a recovering alcoholic I can say without a doubt life is better for me without alcohol. Not only do I feel better, I think more clearly, and I am infinitely more happy. I am glad you feel better. I will say that I thought that simply stopping drinking would massively reduce my weight. This did not occur lol. I found that I had used food much like I used drugs and alcohol. This app has kept me accountable with my diet just like my family has with my other addictions. Sorry for the long post lol just wanted to share.

Wow, good for you!

I should specify that when I said "everything in moderation" I of course didn't mean that recovering alcoholics should drink. I admire your courage and your achievements.
  • redhead_che
    redhead_che Posts: 292 Member
    I cut out alcohol 30 days ago and while the first week sucked, I don't miss it anymore. Can't say it's dramatically influenced my weight loss or anything but I do feel better in general.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I have all but cut out alcohol except for the occasional glass of wine or beer when I am out to dinner or holidays and I can fit it into my calories for the day. I don't miss it, but I also don't feel any different than when I had it more often.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    I haven't had a drink in 2 weeks. I can't believe how much better I feel without alcohol. Anyone else shocked at the difference?

started Jan 1 as well on the Jan 2015 challenge. what a difference. I had plateaued the previous 4 months and now lost over 5 lbs in January. Don't miss it nearly as much as I though I would. Also sleeping better and outta bed much earlier
  • valerie2742
    valerie2742 Posts: 8 Member
    I find my overall mood and energy is way better. I'm not feeling the anxiety I usually have. I'm sleeping well for the first time in a couple of years
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Alcohol can cause horrific acid reflux issues for me. It's bad stuff.

I still drink socially, but stopped drinking when I'm not out and try to limit it when I am out more than I used to.
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    You're on the right track! When I first started out on MFP I cut out alcohol completely for four months. Afterwards I let it back in just for "special" occasions - wine with dinner at a nice restaurant, cocktails with girlfriends, etc. It was manageable but I generally think I do better just saying no completely. If the answer is just NO, it becomes a habit and I don't have to make the tough decision about whether drinking tonight is "worth it."
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    I feel better without alcohol...mostly. It takes the fun out of going to the bars with friends, though. Say what you will but going to the bars is not fun if I'm not drinking. So now when people ask if I want to hit the town, I politely decline because I just don't have the calories to waste on drinking and I'm not gonna be the only sober person. I don't miss it too much, because I don't have to deal with hangovers. It just sucks turning down the invitation.

And I do drink the occasional beer or wine when I have the calories, so I'm not eliminating it altogether, I'm just not overindulging.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    I feel better without alcohol...mostly. It takes the fun out of going to the bars with friends, though. Say what you will but going to the bars is not fun if I'm not drinking. So now when people ask if I want to hit the town, I politely decline because I just don't have the calories to waste on drinking and I'm not gonna be the only sober person. I don't miss it too much, because I don't have to deal with hangovers. It just sucks turning down the invitation.

And I do drink the occasional beer or wine when I have the calories, so I'm not eliminating it altogether, I'm just not overindulging.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/recovering-alcoholic-doesnt-need-friends-to-have-a,35663/
  • I love a glass of wine with my dinner . I have it befor 6 pm and I have time to work it off and relax before bed. But only 1 glass , no more ! I'm not giving it up , that is my de-stress thing for a long stressed day ! Doing great .
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    I cut out alcohol 2 weeks ago and I have no social life now... what do non-drinkers do for fun?
  • redhead_che
    redhead_che Posts: 292 Member
    TMLPatrick wrote: »
    I cut out alcohol 2 weeks ago and I have no social life now... what do non-drinkers do for fun?

I spend a lot more time at Panera with my friends for coffee. And Netflix marathons at each other's houses.

We live such boring lives but at least a few are willing to indulge my sobriety instead of tempt me back into drinking.

• lfrazier2482
    lfrazier2482 Posts: 82 Member
    I work out early in the morning. I find that if I have a few the night before my motivation to work out and the workout itself suffers the next day. So if I am going to work out I don't drink the night before.
    If the Sea Hawks make it to the Super Bowl I will not be working out on that Monday.
  • segacs
    TMLPatrick wrote: »

Anything? Everything?

Sounds like you need to get a hobby... or twelve. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    I haven't had one in 12 years (next week), believe me, there is more to life!
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Alcohol sucks! :smile:
    Never touched the stuff