2»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Damn OP is deacto'ed.... Oh well :ohwell:
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I think you should eat most of your calories before 5pm .. eat frequently in small portions (helps you to fight craving)
    And try to change yr sleeping habits .last but not least ,dont lose hope .. You are almost there

No! Timing has no relevance on weight loss.

Yes, it does. Cortisol levels can have huge effects for some people, adrenal fatigue is a real thing. Look at my post above for more information
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    bonniejo wrote: »
    Something people aren't talking about here, is a possible cortisol imbalance. If you are eating most of your calories at night, it is likely that your cortisol levels that can help with weight loss are out of wack. Here is a link for more info: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=53304

I would really recommend eating breakfast and having an even eating pattern throughout the day so you aren't so hungry at night. Even if you don't change what you are eating, changing when you eat it can help with weight loss, or at least make your day more stable. It's likely to give you more energy as well, which could lead to a higher calorie burn because you are more likely to go for a walk etc.

I do agree that much of the weight lost from low carb is from water. It is possible it works for you and your personal blood sugar levels though. Going low carb will affect your runs, since the muscle glycogen that sustains your run will be low. Maybe try a middle road with a 30/30/40 split (30% protein, 30% fat, 40% carb)

I am getting my masters in nutrition, which is how I know all this! Let me know if it was confusing. Is it possible you aren't weighing/logging properly? Maybe, I don't know, but you have such a huge deficit that it is unlikely that would be the whole picture. It's also possible that you will just have a big drop all at once on the scale, it works like that sometimes.

There have been plenty of times I've eaten most of my food at night. and there are people here who also eat almost all of their food at night. This works for them.

I was doing the whole "balanced calories every meal" thing. It was too strict. then I decided to just grab food that I felt like eating for breakfast, log it, and then do the same for lunch. A few days of doing this I saw that I reserve more calories for the evening without meaning to, and I'm actually much happier this way and have been less moody as a result of not forcing myself to eat a certain way.

bonniejo wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I think you should eat most of your calories before 5pm .. eat frequently in small portions (helps you to fight craving)
    And try to change yr sleeping habits .last but not least ,dont lose hope .. You are almost there

No! Timing has no relevance on weight loss.

Yes, it does. Cortisol levels can have huge effects for some people, adrenal fatigue is a real thing. Look at my post above for more information

I've only ever seen this mentioned for people who are WAY over training. Not due to how they eat.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    krawhitham wrote: »
    I am 174 lbs. I'm 5'4" I want to be 135 lbs again. I'm 30% body fat.

At 30% BF you'd only have 52 pounds of fat to lose. Assuming everything went right and virtually all the weight you lose is fat, that would leave you with 13 pounds of fat at the end of your journey. Which is 10% BF - and *extremely* aggressive level of leanness.

Based on your OP, a more realistic starting BF for you IMO is 40%.
  • bonniejo
    edited January 2015
    But what works for you doesn't work for everyone. Every body is different and responds differently.

Edit: Something wasn't working for her, she is now gone likely because of all the attacks she was trying to defend. Even if she had been measuring wrong, she had at least a 600-700 calorie deficit, she should have been losing. Therefore, something else was likely at play, and cortisol COULD BE one. Or just feeling super hungry all day and then not really thinking straight when she got home.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Just a question :smile: so if I have a big slap up meal right before bed it won't affect weight loss? Your body and metabolism still works efficiently while you sleep? It doesn't slow down?
    The reason I ask is my hubby doesn't eat all day, and eats his dinner and snacks etc after 7pm every night and goes to bed stuffed!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Just a question :smile: so if I have a big slap up meal right before bed it won't affect weight loss? Your body and metabolism still works efficiently while you sleep? It doesn't slow down?
    The reason I ask is my hubby doesn't eat all day, and eats his dinner and snacks etc after 7pm every night and goes to bed stuffed!
    When I was losing 2 lbs. per week in late 2013, I ate two-thirds of my daily Calories from Dinner (8:00 PM) to bedtime (midnight). Half of those Calories (one homemade pumpkin bar, chocolate syrup, and 3 tablespoons peanut butter) were at bedtime.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member

I eat 2/3 of my calories right before bed. about 1400-1500. Every night. For 2 years. Ice cream most nights. For me it does not matter. At all. I like going to bed stuffed.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    krawhitham has deactivated their account.

Ok then....
  • Metabolism is slowest while sleeping. Eating after dark may lead to weight gain because of cortisol levels peaking at that time. I am not sure of any evidence supporting this assertion, however. If you go to bed with a full stomach, a great deal of those calories will be stored as fat due to reduced energy demands. I recommend not eating in the hours leading up to your bed time and drinking plenty of water to produce a full feeling. Hope this helps. EFF
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3491655/
    Study in rats showing that restricting feeding time protected against obesity. Rats fed the same amount of calories, some on restricted schedule, some around the clock. Those who ate around the clock became obese, those that did not eat after bedtime didn`t.
  • bonniejo
    This is more on number of meals, it doesn't seem to matter on average, but it might for the individual: http://nutritionreviews.oxfordjournals.org/content/73/2/69