how much coffee too much

Options
How many coffees would be too much and is it ok doing one coffee a day?

Replies

• Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    1 coffee a day is great. I remember reading somewhere that 400 mg of caffeine a day is when adverse affects start. If you're worried about too much, try decaf or tea, and drink water.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I know when I want to punch someone I probably had one cup too many. One is definitely okay. I know people who drink tons of coffee.

sshepro, how do calculate the mg's if you make it yourself (or actually, if you don't). I never thought about that. Doesn it say on the package?
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I'm a habitual coffee drinker. I haven't found the answer to this question yet.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Usually when I start getting the heart palpitations and impending doom feeling I know it's time to cut back on my coffee intake.

If you tolerate the caffeine well, one cup is fine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the answer is

"no such thing"

• corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    If your hands are shaking and you're feeling mildly paranoid, please stop. Otherwise carry on.
  • KiwiJo42
    KiwiJo42 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Im a serial coffee drinker, have dropped under medical advice to only three a day, trouble is now I make them doubles. I agree with troutsee above, dont even start. Its an addictive drug like smoking...
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I know when I want to punch someone I probably had one cup too many. One is definitely okay. I know people who drink tons of coffee.

sshepro, how do calculate the mg's if you make it yourself (or actually, if you don't). I never thought about that. Doesn it say on the package?

I'm the opposite. I know when *I* want to punch someone, it's probably because they got in between me and the coffee pot before I've had my morning slam, lol. >:)

3 cups for me in the AM; decaf and herbal no-caff tea the rest of the day. That's my schedule to ensure I'm this: o:) and not this :'(
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    too_much_coffee_gif_by_cartoonsbykristopher-d63ykpv.gif

Or... until you're that jittery!! :laugh:
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the answer is

"no such thing"

I'm the opposite. I know when *I* want to punch someone, it's probably because they got in between me and the coffee pot before I've had my morning slam, lol. >:)

3 cups for me in the AM; decaf and herbal no-caff tea the rest of the day. That's my schedule to ensure I'm this: o:) and not this :'(

Yeah pretty much... if we're talking literal 8 oz cups. I drink four a day. I used to drink about double that before I quit smoking and I cut back a little when I started this new eating plan because I refuse to have my coffee without cream so I chose to cut back on the amount I drink instead.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I can't pull up any links right now on my phone, but there are a lot of guides out there on approximations of caffeine in different types of products. The ones I've seen are all aimed at pregnant women (which is how I came about them) but the info is good regardless. IIRC when you're out filter coffee/drip coffee has the lowest caffeine (I think 120-150mg per cup), store coffees like americanos and lattes have a lot more as they use an espresso base and most places use at least a double shot, so they can be anywhere around 200-500mg, some of the really big cups run around 800-900mg. At home instant coffee has the lowest levels of caffeine (around 100mg per average cup).

There is also caffeine in things like chocolate and coke. To give you an example, a pregnant woman is recommended to have no more than 1 cup of coffee per day (instant/filter), or 2 cups of tea, or 4 cans of coke, or 8 bars of 50g chocolate... Something like that :)

BTW I'm pulling this all from memory - pregnant, hazy memory, as well - so these are rough numbers.
  • murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    If your hands are shaking and you're feeling mildly paranoid, please stop. Otherwise carry on.

Diddo. :)
  • murphyocean
    murphyocean Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Or....of course...simply just "paranoid" and want to run out of the room...

Go home and take a bubble bath. Wine = optional --> necessary.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Truth. My coworkers all know when I haven't had enough. When I walk in and he goes 'hey good morning buddy ' I mumble somethingsomethingfuckoff.... Then he leaves me be for another cup and then the day can carry on. Lol
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I was drinking 10-12 cups of coffee a day and now I am down to 5 cups a day. At first I was lethargic now I have more energy as long as I can get cardio in my week. My goal is to be down to 2-3 cups a day.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What caffeine does is very interesting to the CNS. This article from Lifehacker "What Caffeine Actually does" is very informative and well worth the read.

Near the bottom of the article is this anecdote, but interesting and it may answer your question as how much is too much if you are drinking it as a stimulate, since your body attenuates to constant caffeine consumption and those effects wear off.
    "In practical terms, this means that if you'd like to be able to turn to caffeine when you need it for a quick, effective jolt, it's best to let your brain "dry out" for at least several days prior to administration. This is actually my current mode of consumption. I don't regularly drink coffee anymore (gasp).

<snip>

But I also just wasn't getting a clean, clear buzz from coffee...I drank so much, so regularly, that drinking an extra cup or two didn't do a helluva lot except, perhaps, make me a little more irritable.

<snip>

So about a year ago I slowly tapered down ... so I really want (or need) a good neural jump-start, I will freely...nay, ecstatically...indulge. Then I stop and let the brain settle again."
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I do not understand the question. . . .

On a serious note, there's at least one 'caffeine toxicity' website, telling how many of various caffeinated beverages you would need to drink for it to be 'too much.' Short of that, your own tolerance will vary based on your size, body composition, and habitual use. I've never seen anything but positive effects ascribed for one cup of coffee a day, unless you have a specific medical issue or allergy.
  • BethLiam1
    BethLiam1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I drink as much coffee as water lol ☕️☕️☕️☕️ maybe more a cup when I wake and 2 16 oz cups at work

Weekend nights I have expresso in my coffee as im not a alcohol drinker coffee is it.. I reduced the sugar and creamer but refused to let it go

But I can drink expresso n sleep like a baby
  • patweatherford
    Options
    Im a serial coffee drinker, have dropped under medical advice to only three a day, trouble is now I make them doubles. I agree with troutsee above, dont even start. Its an addictive drug like smoking...

• victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    This is a great question. I used to be hooked on it! I used to drink 2-3 12 cup pots of coffee a day! Then I cut back more and more. Now I am coffee free...Except when I go out somewhere that serves it and it's the truck stop I love to go to, then that's optional or a must. It depends on if I feel like having any.

Otherwise, it's safe to say that if u drink coffee in moderation, it should be fine. Just don't overdo it to where u have the jitters. That would be very, very bad.