At what point should I re-evaluate my rate of weight loss goals?

Options
Ok, I know I am a bit ahead of myself because I have a long ways to go but I am just trying to get some general knowledge. About two years ago I started my weight loss journey and over the next year and a half (including a very healthy pregnancy) I managed to lose 43 pounds (I maintained during pregnancy so about 15 came off before 6 weeks postpartum). I got onto some birth control that caused a bad bout of depression for approximately 6 months where I pretty much did nothing and ate cookies (a lot more than could be considered healthy). I pretty much lost a significant amount of muscle mass and any build up of stamina. Anyway, all together, I put 20 pounds back on.

But my overall point is I am back in the game with about 70 pounds to lose right now. I know in the beginning I can expect to lose a couple pounds a week but the closer I get to my goal, the slower my loss will be. At what point should I recalibrate my goals so that I don't try to lose too quickly at the end?

My end goal is to heavy lift and get strong but I have absolutely no access to equipment or a gym right now (hopefully in about 3 months when we move that will change) so at this point it is just losing fat.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't losing more than one to two pounds per week, you don't need to worry about it.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's always good to think ahead! I have about 30 pounds to go (43 down so far!) and I want to continue losing my 1.5-2 pounds per week for now. I think this would/should work for you too :)

I also recalculate my calorie needs every 5 pounds since that number (sadly) goes down steadily.
  • finallyfreetobeme
    Options
    The last time I used fitness pal it automatically recalculated after losing each 10 lbs... Does it still do that?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I would start with some body weight exercise now-- You Are Your Own Gym is good.

I'd go with 2 lbs per week until you get down to 40ish lbs above your goal weight. Then do 1 lb per week until you get to the last 10 lbs. Then go to half a pound per week.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I think MFP recommends that you recalculate every ten pounds because it doesn't automatically do it for you.

You could possibly do body weight exercises like lunges, squats, and push-ups to help build some strength. You may look into getting a kettlebell or a few dumbbells for some strength exercises that you could do at home. Live Fit Revolution has a kettlebell program if you are interested.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I would start with some body weight exercise now-- You Are Your Own Gym is good.

I'd go with 2 lbs per week until you get down to 40ish lbs above your goal weight. Then do 1 lb per week until you get to the last 10 lbs. Then go to half a pound per week.

I really want to but every single time I have tried to do things at home, I have hurt myself. It has cost me hundreds in Chiropractors bills because I pull my shoulders or my back out of whack a lot- chalk it up to half a year of inactivity.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I really want to but every single time I have tried to do things at home, I have hurt myself. It has cost me hundreds in Chiropractors bills because I pull my shoulders or my back out of whack a lot- chalk it up to half a year of inactivity.

Hmm. Maybe see about affording a trip to physical therapy or to a personal trainer to make sure the exercises you're doing are safe and that you're doing them with good form.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    The last time I used fitness pal it automatically recalculated after losing each 10 lbs... Does it still do that?

I've heard it doesn't do that any more :(
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options

Hmm. Maybe see about affording a trip to physical therapy or to a personal trainer to make sure the exercises you're doing are safe and that you're doing them with good form.

That's the plan once I have access to a gym- to find a trainer to help me with form. My husband is military and has tried to help me with form but it never works... I can do squats all day long. But it is the upper body stuff that gets me every time. I have never in my life been able to do a pushup :( Big goal of mine lol