Hello, friends! I have a few questions (vitamin experts wanted, also)! Forgive the novel.

Options
Hi friends,

How are you all doing today? It is Saturday here... first time I have seen the sun and sky for a while (been overcast for the past few weeks). When I start typing, I can end up writing a novel, so please bear with me (or just hit the hard shut down button on your computer now and grab a cup of Java)! For those of you that are pressed for time or your flight attendant is telling you to stow away your electronic devices, you can go to my bullet point questions down below.

I want to give a little background on me, and I must embarrass myself. Ever since I was a young one, I have had a bad diet, and I mean bad. Very rich in fast food, and lots of it. It troubles me to think about it. I used to go to Sonic and order three burgers. I got on the Atkin's diet, and I was successful (I lost a good bit of weight), and then someone caused me to cave. I was very strong on the diet, but it was my diet partner, and you know - once you try one sweet thing, you are off of it! I blame it on myself entirely. So, I go to my doctor's, and I am 20 years old [by the way], and she tells me you are quite young to have hypertension. I knew I was eating bad, but any time I get stressed in college or anything, I will eat. So, let me not write much more than that except to say 5 days ago I have started, again, using MFP and I am adamant this time. I am not eating fast food, except I have been eating Chick Fil A grilled chicken sandwiches and maybe an occasional cobb salad (I am learning they are high in sodium).
  • So, here is where we get to the questioning. I recently bought some Garcinia Cambogia Supreme. I was skeptical, but I must say I am feeling a little bit of results from it (but I have heard skeptic things and that is not 100% safe, so I may throw it away). Anyone have any factual review or anything on it? I think I may have gained a pound using it.
  • I am looking for a great vitamin to cover all of my nutrients and help with blood pressure (but one that is safe and FDA approved). I am a large grown man, so it would have to be a men's one (that may go without saying)! I notice when I go on a diet, I get headaches from lack of food (and I assume nutrients), so if there is a vitamin that helps with that, we are talking!
  • MyFitnessPal gave me a 2,700 daily calorie intake. What on earth? I am 6'2" - 273 lbs, and I set it to lose 2 lbs a week. I spoke to a nutritionist who told me to lower it to either 2,400 or 2,500 which I have, and she changed my fat, protein, and carb goal. Not sure if that is too high of a goal or what.
  • I have high blood pressure, so is there any additional medicine I can take for that, such as a vitamin that is safe? I realize this is not a vitamins forum, but Google has sent me every which way - I think I ended up on a website advocating vitamins, and then it was part of the deep web.

That is all I have for now, and I intend to start exercising soon. My nutritionist is preparing me a workout plan. I want to get down to 195 lbs.

I really appreciate you taking your time to read this. I look forward to beginning this journey with all of you.

Replies

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Garcinia Cambogia will only help if you ingest more than 3,000mg per day. The mg's they suggest you take on bottles I have bought are not nearly enough to see any results. I found a small study using google a long time ago, and can't find it again. It also may have bad reactions with medicine.

You can customize your goals and Macros as your nutritionist says. I don't think it's too much, especially if you are starting to get active.

I don't know of any vitamin or mineral that specifically acts on blood pressure. Exercise helps, though.
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've been there. Exercise and better nutrition. I'll send you a friend request.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You don't need a multivitamin, you need a varied diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I am glad you are working with a nutritionist and you sound very motivated! A headache is not surprising- if you drank lots of sodas and are giving them up, it could be the caffeine withdrawal. Any prepackaged foods will have a lot of sodium, so again, lots of fresh whole foods.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Garcinia Cambogia will only help if you ingest more than 3,000mg per day. The mg's they suggest you take on bottles I have bought are not nearly enough to see any results. I found a small study using google a long time ago, and can't find it again. It also may have bad reactions with medicine.

You can customize your goals and Macros as your nutritionist says. I don't think it's too much, especially if you are starting to get active.

I don't know of any vitamin or mineral that specifically acts on blood pressure. Exercise helps, though.

Thanks for jogging my memory! Actually, potassium levels are linked to blood pressure issues. Most people do not get nearly the recommended amounts, and low potassium levels are associated with hypertension.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25565204
  • HailDawgs
    HailDawgs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    QuietBloom wrote: »
    You don't need a multivitamin, you need a varied diet with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I am glad you are working with a nutritionist and you sound very motivated! A headache is not surprising- if you drank lots of sodas and are giving them up, it could be the caffeine withdrawal. Any prepackaged foods will have a lot of sodium, so again, lots of fresh whole foods.

Thank you for that advice. Yes, I quit soda and fried foods on the same day. 5 Days Sober! :D Let's make it 30.
    QuietBloom wrote: »

Thanks for jogging my memory! Actually, potassium levels are linked to blood pressure issues. Most people do not get nearly the recommended amounts, and low potassium levels are associated with hypertension.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25565204

The bottle I have says 3,000 MG. I take 4 pills a day.