Going for an Indian tonight, help!

Options
I'm a new member to myfitnesspal having joined on Monday 2nd May. I've had a really good week so far but am worried I'm going to ruin my progress as I'm going for a couple of drinks after work, which will be followed by an Indian takeaway down my local restaurant. I was thinking about having one poppadom followed by dry chicken tikka with a serving of boiled rice. Does anyone know how many calories would be in my meal? Your advice would be greatly appreciated, or can anyone suggest a healthier choice?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Something dry, definitely. I wouldn't bother with rice, personally. It doesn't taste of anything and just adds extra calories.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken or chicken tikka (not tikka masala) shouldnt be too bad, they normally come with salad.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Agree with Chicken Tikka (not tikka masala). As long as it is dry with no sauce you should be fine...

That said we still need to enjoy ourselves and not become miserable when it comes to food. If it is only a rare treat, go for it. Still record it, but don't worry if you go over.
  • kimberlygo
    kimberlygo Posts: 74
    Options
    There is a dish with lamb or chicken and spinach. That is a good one. Sometimes when I'm looking for restaurant food, I try to search through different menu items in the food database to see if I can get a sense of calories. Sometimes I am just craving something unhealthy like a giant piece of Naan, but if I have a sense of the calories, I can adjust my other food and exercise to accomodate it.
  • leannemr
    leannemr Posts: 48
    Options
    I have Chicken Shashlik. It's chunks of chicken breast marinated and cooked in the tandoor (dry) but its cooked with onions, peppers, pineapple and stuff like that - its lush! Have some Riata dip with it and some plain rice and you'll be fine. Enjoy!!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    From what I've found, if you want to have a serving of a creamy curry-like dish (like butter chicken or chicken tikka masala) it's about 600 cals/serving, the rice and naan should be able to be found in the database.
  • kumarprabhat
    kumarprabhat Posts: 116
    Options
    If you take the chicken as "dry" (even better - "Grilled" type), you should be between 600-700 cals hopefully...
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    I think we're going out for indian tonight too! I just did a search of MFP database and Lamb Curry says only 258 calories?
  • sd892310
    sd892310 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hi,

I'm going for an indian tonight too and what you have said you're thinking about having is exactly what i have planned on doing. I did some google searching etc so i could log on MFP and this is what i came up with:

Indian Restaurant - Chicken Tikka (No Sauce), 0.6 dish 144
    Indian Restaurant - Poppadom, 1 poppadom 70
    Indian Restaurant - Boiled Rice, 0.5 dish 123
    Tandoori Naan - Garlic Naan, 0.6 naan 228

These arent for full dishes of chicken and rice (2/3 chicken dish and 1/2 rice) as i never eat a full one but hope this of help to you!

i've even managed to stay within my daily calorie goal with these foods!

The odd occaisonal treat doesnt hurt anyways!!!

xx
  • Ladybug19761
    Ladybug19761 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Skip the rice and try picking up veggies and/or other chicken.meat options
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    if you look at my diary for Wed 4th i had indian,

stick to boiled rice - about half of what they give you as the carbs in it can mount up.
    Avoid the mango sauce and popadoms as they are full of fat & sugar.
    puri- are heavy in fat too!

I can't eat the hot stuff, but most things that come with no sauce will be your lower calorie options

We have a friend visit every wed and he always gets in a takeaway so I am getting much better at choosing the "healthier" options

Some of the veggie dishes will be as bad as the meat ones because of being cooked in ghee. so you can always ask if
    not sure.

Enjoy
  • OldBoyPhil
    OldBoyPhil Posts: 6
    Options
    Naan bread and rice. What a combo. Half a naan and no rice and a selection of curries on your plate to increase eye pleasure. You will get through it OK. Make it enjoyable, laugh a lot drink plenty of water with your wine (not together) and eat slowly. Even if you go over your cals its not the end of the world. View my diary and your will see what I am talking about. Break out now and then and enjoy. But don't dwell or get down because you have. Just keep working hard at it and the rewards will come.
  • jenpot
    jenpot Posts: 5
    Options
    You could always have a starter or two starters and have it/them served as a main, something like tandoori chicken and a 'meat' or veg dish and you get a little side salad usually with that :)