Any out there on meds that make you gain weight?

Replies

• Hily93
    Hily93 Posts: 65 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Hily93 wrote: »
    MrM27, that comment is stupid as well. The lack of energy due to certain meds can make you not burn what you eat. What does one have to do to lose or maintain weight? Eat and work off what they ate. Meds change your body, your brain, which you do not know if that changes the way you process or store fat...unless you are a dr?
    smh, I'm not replying to you anymore

Doesn't bother me if you think my comments are stupid. It also doesn't bother me if you don't reply to me anymore. If you have less energy and burn less calories it still comes down to CICO. Tell me how it changes your brain and the way it stores fat.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Medications can increase the appetite. Eating too much makes you gain weight.

Not only that, it can make you gain weight as well, I had periods when I hardly ate anything, I was well under 2000 a day. And I still gained

If I ate 2000 a day, I would gain as well. On my inactive days, if I eat over 1500 I will gain. Yesterday, with 14,000 steps (It was my day off from my workout), I was allowed, 1593. I'm 5'4 135 and have my deficit at 250 a day, so not aggressive.

I just said any number, I had periods when I would eat maybe one apple and then nothing for maybe 1-3 days. I have fainted because of this, so I'm not some super human or anything.

Okay, so you're saying you're the exception to science? It's CICO, bottom line.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/is-your-medicine-cabinet-making-you-fat
    Read this, I already said that no I am no exception. Read my comment properly before answering!

Yes, promoters of weight gain, because they increase appetite.
    Quoted from there :Instead prepare for the visit by keeping a food diary of what you eat and when you eat it - "probably the best behavioral tool out there for losing weight."

You should also take steps to help work off any excess pounds, Fernstrom adds.

"Be a mindful eater, knowing you are at risk for weight gain," she says.

Exactly. Increased appetite leads to over eating leading to weight gain.
    I'm on epilepsy medication and they mess around with your appetite like crazy, even if they don't have calories!

Leading to eating more therefore gaining weight. Even if the meds don't have calories.
    just ignore the negative. no one has walked in your shoes or anyone elses. dont let comments bring you down or alter your goals.

True, but just kind of annoyed since this post was for those that are going through this. Losing weight for us is harder, and you might gain even though you are doing everything right, that's what happened to me, and I was so sad until my brother told me to be patient(he's a doc) and that it would come eventually
    The truth =/= negative comments.

If you don't like my comments so much why did you send me a friend request?

You just qouted the comments that proved your point and skipped the ones that didn't seriously grow up!

Nope. It clearly states increased appetite.

Nice personal attack.

No personal attack, I don't know you and have nothing against you, but read through the comments and see for yourself
    And once again this post is not for this discussion!!
  • Hily93
    MrM27, that comment is stupid as well. The lack of energy due to certain meds can make you not burn what you eat. What does one have to do to lose or maintain weight? Eat and work off what they ate. Meds change your body, your brain, which you do not know if that changes the way you process or store fat...unless you are a dr?

Doesn't bother me if you think my comments are stupid. It also doesn't bother me if you don't reply to me anymore. If you have less energy and burn less calories it still comes down to CICO. Tell me how it changes your brain and the way it stores fat.

Not only that, it can make you gain weight as well, I had periods when I hardly ate anything, I was well under 2000 a day. And I still gained

If I ate 2000 a day, I would gain as well. On my inactive days, if I eat over 1500 I will gain. Yesterday, with 14,000 steps (It was my day off from my workout), I was allowed, 1593. I'm 5'4 135 and have my deficit at 250 a day, so not aggressive.

I just said any number, I had periods when I would eat maybe one apple and then nothing for maybe 1-3 days. I have fainted because of this, so I'm not some super human or anything.

http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/is-your-medicine-cabinet-making-you-fat
    Read this, I already said that no I am no exception. Read my comment properly before answering!

Quoted from there :Instead prepare for the visit by keeping a food diary of what you eat and when you eat it - "probably the best behavioral tool out there for losing weight."

I'm on epilepsy medication and they mess around with your appetite like crazy, even if they don't have calories!

Leading to eating more therefore gaining weight. Even if the meds don't have calories.
    just ignore the negative. no one has walked in your shoes or anyone elses. dont let comments bring you down or alter your goals.

True, but just kind of annoyed since this post was for those that are going through this. Losing weight for us is harder, and you might gain even though you are doing everything right, that's what happened to me, and I was so sad until my brother told me to be patient(he's a doc) and that it would come eventually

You just qouted the comments that proved your point and skipped the ones that didn't seriously grow up!

Nice personal attack.

No personal attack, I don't know you and have nothing against you, but read through the comments and see for yourself

So you think I never grew up because I'm telling you the truth and it isn't what you want to hear?

What post is not for this discussion?

You know what I'm not going to waist my time on explaining something you don't want to understand, call it whatever you want! But if you want to have this discussion make a post of your own, this one is not for that!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Nice personal attack.

So you think I never grew up because I'm telling you the truth and it isn't what you want to hear?

You know what I'm not going to waist my time on explaining something you don't want to understand, call it whatever you want! But if you want to have this discussion make a post of your own, this one is not for that!

You don't get to control who posts what on a public forum. :huh: :noway:
  • webuiltthisnicky
    webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
    I take citalopram, and weirdly I had pretty much zero appetite for about the first three weeks of using it and then suddenly... EAT ALL THE THINGS. I was just constantly hungry.
  • Hily93
    randomtai wrote: »

Nice personal attack.

I don't but this forum was made so people who have problems like this can find and support each other. It's clearly stated! I gave a link for you guys to read that does state that drugs can make you gain weight.
    Other than that, keep to the subject. I'm not the only one who thinks like this! You don't agree, fine don't but this isn't the place for that!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    If you're saying, "This med makes me gain weight, so I'm just going to sit here and stuff my face with bon-bons," it's an excuse.

What it seems to me that no one here is going that route. They're not, just like I'm not, making excuses. They're just venting frustration at an additional challenge they're facing... while on a site to combat that weight gain.

I knew getting my steroid injection for my back, that it might cause weight gain from increased appetite. I expected to be hungry, thirsty and retain water. That's why I was super conscious about logging and weighing my food, drinking plenty of water, and exercising regularly during that time period. I was still surprised to see the scale jump up 10 pounds, especially when it I'd spent the last 4 months slowly losing that 10 pounds. I expected it to come off over the next few weeks if it was water weight gain. It didn't.

I'm not making an excuse for it. What would be the point in that? What do I have to prove to anyone here? Not a damn thing. I'm just saying that it really f'n sucked. I'm talking about it here to commiserate with other people who've had the same frustration, not to make excuses.

I just don't understand the snark from those who've never dealt with it. Be glad it's not a problem you've personally had and move on. What does it matter if it's an increased appetite, a change in metabolic rate, or decreased activity? These folks are working against it.
  • Hily93
    I take citalopram, and weirdly I had pretty much zero appetite for about the first three weeks of using it and then suddenly... EAT ALL THE THINGS. I was just constantly hungry.

I've been on that med as well, but I never got a proper appetite.
  • Hily93
    If you're saying, "This med makes me gain weight, so I'm just going to sit here and stuff my face with bon-bons," it's an excuse.

What it seems to me that no one here is going that route. They're not, just like I'm not, making excuses. They're just venting frustration at an additional challenge they're facing... while on a site to combat that weight gain.

I knew getting my steroid injection for my back, that it might cause weight gain from increased appetite. I expected to be hungry, thirsty and retain water. That's why I was super conscious about logging and weighing my food, drinking plenty of water, and exercising regularly during that time period. I was still surprised to see the scale jump up 10 pounds, especially when it I'd spent the last 4 months slowly losing that 10 pounds. I expected it to come off over the next few weeks if it was water weight gain. It didn't.

I'm not making an excuse for it. What would be the point in that? What do I have to prove to anyone here? Not a damn thing. I'm just saying that it really f'n sucked. I'm talking about it here to commiserate with other people who've had the same frustration, not to make excuses.

I just don't understand the snark from those who've never dealt with it. Be glad it's not a problem you've personally had and move on. What does it matter if it's an increased appetite, a change in metabolic rate, or decreased activity? These folks are working against it.

Thank you!!!
    I wish I had know :( I would have tried to do something about it, but to be honest I did try to do something about the extra weight, but it didn't work. I thought it was all me!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    randomtai wrote: »

Nice personal attack.

I don't but this forum was made so people who have problems like this can find and support each other. It's clearly stated! I gave a link for you guys to read that does state that drugs can make you gain weight.
    Other than that, keep to the subject. I'm not the only one who thinks like this! You don't agree, fine don't but this isn't the place for that!

Mmm hmm... good luck with that.
  • fevrale
    fevrale Posts: 170 Member
    The people telling you it's simple science, calories in-calories out, it's an excuse blah blah blah have obviously never felt the side effect of changed *kitten* brain chemistry affecting everything about them. I think it's rooted in a deeply held stigma not only of mental illness but also of FAT. So, weight gain associated with antidepressants and the like is a double stigma. They'll tell you to stop making excuses and whatever (lots of "tough love" advocates on this board...sans the love part)...

Guess what, the side effects listed on all of these medications we're discussing don't just list "increased appetite" as side effects, they include "weight gain." The medical literature refers to it as "antidepressant-induced weight gain." Induced meaning "bring about" or "bring rise" to. It's not "antidepressant-related weight gain if you're weak, lazy, or out of control." Check out the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry if you're so inclined. Upwards of 25% experience significant weight gain as a side effect. So, no, it's not a given but it's a likelihood.

So, yeah, it's up to us to offset the effects of these medications and their side effects to the best of our ability. But it's inappropriate to tell people how and why they're wrong about their medications and medical conditions, unless you're their *kitten* physician. I mean, the medication I gained weight on has a side effect of giving men female breasts. They should really work to offset that themselves and stop using their medication as an excuse for growing male boobs.

Talk to your doctors if you're concerned about medication and these WELL-KNOWN side effects. You may have to live with it to stay on the meds but there could be other advice they have for you in how to address the issues.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited January 2015
    If you're a med student, could you explain the biological mechanism for increased fat gain from these meds when in a calorie deficit please? You need to identify the processes by which this is accomplished in order to combat it. The article that you linked doesn't do that. It explains that there can be water retention, excess intake through increased appetite, less energy for exercise reducing the out side of the energy equation. All things affect the CICO energy mechanism.
    Please explain if there is some other mechanism responsible, then the effects may possibly be mitigated.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Pharmacist here. OP Im not seeing in this thread specifically what you are taking (possibly missed it) but if you want to send me a PM, there may be an alternative medication that might work a bit better for you.

Also for those who say medications can or cant cause weight loss, you're simply wrong. Medications can alter your metabolism, water retention, salt/electrolyte retention, etc. If anyone would like, Id be more than happy to explain in further detail
  • Hily93
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    If you're a med student, could you explain the biological mechanism for increased fat gain from these meds when in a calorie deficit please? You need to identify the processes by which this is accomplished in order to combat it. The article that you linked doesn't do that. It explains that there can be water retention, excess intake through increased appetite, less energy for exercise reducing the out side of the energy equation. All things affect the CICO energy mechanism.
    Please explain if there is some other mechanism responsible, then the effects may possibly be mitigated.

The ability for the body to burn calories can be affected, your body can't burn the amount of calories you eat, even if this is a very small amount.
  • Hily93
    _Ben wrote: »
    Pharmacist here. OP Im not seeing in this thread specifically what you are taking (possibly missed it) but if you want to send me a PM, there may be an alternative medication that might work a bit better for you.

Also for those who say medications can or cant cause weight loss, you're simply wrong. Medications can alter your metabolism, water retention, salt/electrolyte retention, etc. If anyone would like, Id be more than happy to explain in further detail

Hi, thanks. I've been to many doctors tried out more medicines then I can remember. But this is the one that had best effect. The weight gain is something I can't go round, and I'm trying to lose the excess weight I've got and stop the gain. It's harder to lose because of the meds, but I'm fighting :)
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    FredDoyle wrote: »

That's been answered here:
    Excerpt from article:
    "What causes medication-related weight gain?

Sometimes it is not the drug itself causing weight gain; however, it is the side-effects from the drug. Some drugs stimulate your appetite, and as a result, you eat more. Others may affect how your body absorbs and stores glucose, which can lead to fat deposits in the midsection of your body. Some cause calories to be burned slower by changing your body’s metabolism. Others cause shortness of breath and fatigue, making it difficult for people to exercise. Other drugs can cause you to retain water, which adds weight but not necessarily fat.

How much weight is gained varies from person-to-person and from drug-to-drug. Some people may gain a few pounds throughout the course of a year, while other people can gain 10, 20 or more pounds in just a few months. Because many of these medications are taken for chronic conditions, you may use them for several years with their use contributing to significant weight gain throughout time."

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/general-articles/prescription-medications-weight-gain

This part here: Others may affect how your body absorbs and stores glucose, which can lead to fat deposits in the midsection of your body. Some cause calories to be burned slower by changing your body’s metabolism.

I'm not saying I understand exactly how that happens. But I'm not a medical professional and likely wouldn't fully understand the technical answer anyway. ;)