Am I doing this math right??!!

Options
Ok so I have a package of Tyson all natural skinless boneless chicken breast with rib meat.
$1.99 per lb
$6.21 per package
number of chicken breast: 5

Calc weight of 5 chicken breasts
6.21/1.99 = 3.12lb

calc weight of 1 chicken breast
3.12/5 = .624 lb

calc weight of 1 chicken breast in oz:
.624*16= 9.984 ~ 10oz

There are 25g of protein per 4 oz.

Calc protein in 1 chicken breast:
2.5*10 = 62.5g protein

So my conclusion is that if I eat one of these chicken breast I get 62.5g of protein. Is this right??!! Can somebody verify, thank you so much.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How do you know each chicken breast is exactly the same size? Buy some food scales, weigh each piece of chicken.
  • jamiehero
    Options
    How do you know each chicken breast is exactly the same size? Buy some food scales, weigh each piece of chicken.

let's assume for simplicity that all the chicken breast are the same size and weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When you log it into MFP it gives you the protein

Log it ..check the protein, delete it

Why are you doing it any other way?
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    TavistockToad is absolutely right. If you're looking for accuracy, a scale is the ONLY way to go. If you're looking to average out the calories and other macronutrients, a scale is the ONLY way to get it right. They cost less than $20. (You only need one scale.) Money might be tight, but a scale is something you'll use multiple times a day, every day and it will help you SO MUCH on your journey to health.

One more thing...it will take you a little time to get into the groove of it, but if you convert to metric, you'll have a much more accurate weighing of your food and your calories will be more accurate. I'm American too, so I know it might take a little time to get it, but it's much more accurate. 28 grams=1 ounce. You can fudge ounces, you can't fudge grams. Good luck!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jamiehero wrote: »

let's assume for simplicity that all the chicken breast are the same size and weight.

Except in reality they aren't. Unless you plan on eating every chicken breast yourself, then you can go ahead and just weigh the entire package (or use the weight on the package) and divide by the number of breasts, but it's much easier to just weigh each breast you'll be eating.

And your package will tell you the total weight already. You're making this more complicated than it needs to be.
  • Jimmyftw94
    Jimmyftw94 Posts: 75 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Except in reality they aren't. Unless you plan on eating every chicken breast yourself, then you can go ahead and just weigh the entire package (or use the weight on the package) and divide by the number of breasts, but it's much easier to just weigh each breast you'll be eating.

And your package will tell you the total weight already. You're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

Personally, I think a good diet for weight lost is one that doesn't feel like a diet at all. I can't see myself weighting my food everytime I eat so I always make educated assumptions instead.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Jimmyftw94 wrote: »

Personally, I think a good diet for weight lost is one that doesn't feel like a diet at all. I can't see myself weighting my food everytime I eat so I always make educated assumptions instead.

Takes about 5 seconds to weigh it all, and it's much more accurate than making assumptions. If one has very specific goals, then weighing food makes reaching those goals significantly easier.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

And that's fine... But when you stall or plateau, it'll probably be because you're not measuring accurately enough and are not in a deficit.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Which is exactly how you should treat it. It all averages out to something in the end. I'm for leaving the food weighing to the weight loss hobbyists.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I took 4 seconds and googled how much protein in 10 oz of chicken breast. Here's the answer I got:

There are 459 calories in 10 ounces of boneless, cooked, skinless Chicken Breast (Skin Not Eaten).
    Fat: 9.91g (Saturated Fat: 2.804g).
    Carbs: 0g (Fiber: 0g, Sugar 0).
    Protein: 86.13g.

How accurate is it I'm not sure, but since your using an average weight it's not going to be exact either way
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ok so I have a package of Tyson all natural skinless boneless chicken breast with rib meat.
    $1.99 per lb
    $6.21 per package

6.21/1.99 = 3.12lb

3.12/5 = .624 lb

.624*16= 9.984 ~ 10oz

2.5*10 = 62.5g protein

So my conclusion is that if I eat one of these chicken breast I get 62.5g of protein. Is this right??!! Can somebody verify, thank you so much.

Doesn't the package supply the net weight of the chicken? That would save a step. I'm too lazy to verify your calculations, but if the package says there's 25g of protein per 4 oz, then, yes, there should be 62g of protein in 10 oz of chicken.

Alright - I'm doing math in my head with estimates, so, you've got a little more than 3 lbs of chicken, roughly 48ish ounces, right? Dividing that by 5 is roughly 10ish ounces, okay. I think that's pretty reasonable.

If whatever you're doing with this information doesn't seem to be working, you should consider a food scale.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    $1.99 per lb
    $6.21 per package

6.21/1.99 = 3.12lb

3.12/5 = .624 lb

.624*16= 9.984 ~ 10oz

2.5*10 = 62.5g protein

Your math looks right, other than you aren't being careful about significant digits and rounding. 62.4g protein is probably closer.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I took 4 seconds and googled how much protein in 10 oz of chicken breast. Here's the answer I got:

There are 459 calories in 10 ounces of boneless, cooked, skinless Chicken Breast (Skin Not Eaten).
    Fat: 9.91g (Saturated Fat: 2.804g).
    Carbs: 0g (Fiber: 0g, Sugar 0).
    Protein: 86.13g.

How accurate is it I'm not sure, but since your using an average weight it's not going to be exact either way

That's for cooked chicken - OP has raw chicken in front of him. It will be less than 10 oz when cooked.

• ceemonkee
    ceemonkee Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This conversation got really derailed... @jamiehero‌ Yeah, your calculations are right. And if I'm reading your surprise right, yes, there is a lot of protein per serving of meat.

On the measuring side -- sure, the chicken breasts are differently sized, but I doubt that they're more than 1-2 oz off. So maybe one is 70 calories more and one is 70 calories less. I don't think 70 calories is worth stressing over or worth buying a scale and weighing *everything*.

I have a scale. I use it for meat and produce when I really have no idea at all what something weighs - as in, not even within 1/4 lb. (Who can look at an acorn squash and tell what it weighs? Not me.) But I think you can do well enough just using measuring cups and not stressing out over minor inaccuracies.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute, doing it your way...

Doesn't the Tyson bag/package say how much the whole thing weighs?

From that, if its pounds it weighs, you convert to oz. (If it's oz, no need to convert, duh.) Then you divide by 5. Then you'll know how much each one supposedly weighs.

Why are you trying to figure out how much it weighs from the price?!
  • ana3067
    Options
    If OP's package has 3.12lbs of chicken, then that's 49.92oz total. Divide by 5 chicken breasts = 9.984oz averaged out per chicken breast. Enter that weight into MFP and get the protein and cal info from that. Done and done, OP making things more difficult than needed.

This would all be much easier still by just weighing the individual pieces he wants to eat on the day, though.