Average guy, father, husband looking to eat better for 1st time in my life. All help welcome!

Options
Hey Folks,

As the title of this post suggests, I'm simply a regular guy trying to eat better in 2015. I've never previously thought consciously about what food I eat and have become less active over the years. Unsurprisingly, the weight crept on and according to Wii Fit (which I'm using as my weekly scales) I was in the 'obese' category at the end of December 31st.

So starting from 1st January 2015, I've set myself the personal challenge of eating better. My goals are to lose weight, educate myself about the nutritional properties of different foods, research the science behind how our bodies react and use certain food groups and finally, to eventually take up some form of exercise regime - all in order to reach my 'ideal' weight and live a healthier and sustainable lifestyle.

I've set-up a Twitter feed @EatBetter2015 to chart my progress and tend to post about interesting facts about eating habits I've discovered, useful resources such as nutrition podcasts or documentaries as well outlining the sort of meals I'm cooking (inc. pictures) etc.

I'd be delighted to share my 'eating better 2015' journey with you and am very keen to exchange ideas for meals, anecdotes and our experiences of trying to lose weight and eat better.

Best wishes,

Lee

Replies

• thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lee! Feel free to add me and I'll cheer you on!
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello Lee,

Welcome here on your journey for a better and healthy life! :)

Feel free to message or add me :)

• minimum13
    minimum13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Lee. I too am relatively new to all this, but can claim to have previously tried every fad diet going... This time its all about nutritional information, education and getting it right for me. MFP and the community on here has been a brilliant source of information and support for me, I am sure they will be for you too.
  • ReformedFatty2015
    Options
    Thank you for the responses and warm welcome. I'll try and see if I can work out how to 'add' people on here :)

I'm certainly trying to adopt the approach of not following a prescribed diet as such in favour of improving my eating habits through learning about nutritional and research based info regarding food.

I've only just begun really but even in the past fortnight I'm noticing significant positive change.

I've cooked more than ever (I now prepare breakfast, lunch and dinner in my household), I do the food shopping and have tried to build each meal around protein rather than carbs.

By concentrating on making sure I up my protein intake (eggs, chicken, fish etc) and cutting back on bread, potatoes, rice, pasta - I've noticed I feel much fuller for longer.

I used to snack constantly in the past but haven't felt the need to eat between meals at all since the New Year. As a result I've knocked sweets, chocs, fizzy drinks, crisps etc on the head already. And importantly none of that has felt like a chore.

Obviously, I realise a lot harder times are ahead and it is my desire to keep at it that has lead me here. I think the more support, inspiration and advise I can get, the more likely I can make these changes to my eating habits permanent.

Thanks again and do feel free to add/contact me on here or via twitter, email etc.

Always up for exchanging tips, recipes etc.
  • ReformedFatty2015
    Options
    Nope, not managed to see how to add people. Could you kind folk send me an invite or friend request.

I'd assumed I could click on your username and it would take me to your profile or give me the option to 'add' as a friend but doesn't seem to work like that?!

Thanks.
  • hansmdude
    hansmdude Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    clicking on usernames works for me it has an "Add as friend" button both on my desktop and on my Android tablet
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi Lee, and welcome. May I make a suggestion that was helpful to me getting started? Get a good food scale - you can find one for under $20 - and for right now, begin weighing out your portions of those proteins. I think you'll be surprised at what 4 oz. of meat looks like. One of the real keys to MFP is learning portion control/estimating calories and a food scale is a really valuable tool in this. Best of luck! Also - have you started any regular exercise? From your initial post it sounds as if you're holding off on this. For me, the exercise (I ride a bike) is absolutely crucial to the whole healthy living thing. Getting your heart rate up a few times a week - working up a mild sweat is all that's required - helps keep everything else in your life in balance, and you'll see much faster results than just trying to change your eating by itself. You could start with a brisk walk, say 30 minutes once day. Best of luck and dont forget, put every bite that goes into your mouth into your Food Diary on MFP.
  • ReformedFatty2015
    Options
    hansmdude wrote: »
    clicking on usernames works for me it has an "Add as friend" button both on my desktop and on my Android tablet

I'm trying to do that using the App on my iPhone. I've installed the App on my iPad, I'll see it works on that. Thanks.
  • ReformedFatty2015
    Options
    Re: Kevvboy
    Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly invest in a food scale as another of my downfalls is too large portion size. I'm still scanning in food using MyFitnessPal but will log food regularly once this is done.

I've not started a formal exercise regime yet. Only two weeks into my 'new' healthy lifestyle, ha! ha! But agree and fully expect to have to exercise in the future.

I'm leaning towards finding an exercise I can do which is NOT strenuous on the back or saddle area (I suffered a severe back injury little over a year ago which needed surgery and I still have sensitive nerves around the saddle area/leg from the root nerve compression which was caused by a large prolapsed disc). So I'm very wary of doing any weightlifting or cycling. Swimming or running may be my first try?

Thanks for responding and for the tips :)
  • stainlessneil
    stainlessneil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi mate, you sound like you're on the right track. By focusing on just eating healthier and balancing your intakes of protein fats and carbs will get your head in the right frame of mind. Weight loss then becomes just a by product of a healthy lifestyle. Just keep chipping away at it, every day counts!
  • Kevvboy
    Options
    Hi Lee - Ask your doctor about the exercise but in my experience bicycling is one of the lowest-impact exercises you can do. It really improved my lower back pain. Key is to ride a hybrid or mountain bike or cruiser for a more upright position than on a road bike. Swimming or just fast walking would also be great, and I do not think you could do any harm if you were to do a calisthenics routine to strengthen muscles. I would stay away from running -- way too much impact on the joints and on your back. Don't think about the exercise thing - just do something, starting today. Anything that raises your heart rate and gets you sweating a little will work. The hardest day is the second day, once you get past that it will quickly become a habit you enjoy.
  • div9diva44
    div9diva44 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Feel free to add
  • ReformedFatty2015
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome StainlessNeil and Div9diva44 :)
  • ReformedFatty2015
    Options
    Kevvboy wrote: »
    Hi Lee - Ask your doctor about the exercise but in my experience bicycling is one of the lowest-impact exercises you can do. It really improved my lower back pain. Key is to ride a hybrid or mountain bike or cruiser for a more upright position than on a road bike. Swimming or just fast walking would also be great, and I do not think you could do any harm if you were to do a calisthenics routine to strengthen muscles. I would stay away from running -- way too much impact on the joints and on your back. Don't think about the exercise thing - just do something, starting today. Anything that raises your heart rate and gets you sweating a little will work. The hardest day is the second day, once you get past that it will quickly become a habit you enjoy.

Thanks again for the advice fella. I had (perhaps wrongly) thought jogging would be a simple, cheap way to start exercising but will have to take it very slow if it is high impact on lower back?! Perhaps I've been too hasty with ruling out cycling, just very, very mindful of any sustained pressure on my saddle area - highly prone to numbness in that area due to nerve damage I sustained from back injury.

What's the routine you mentioned about strengthening my lower back muscles. That definitely sounds like something I'd benefit from as my back whilst healed, is very weak e.g. My core could certainly be improved to support spine and discs in back.

Thanks again.
  • Kevvboy
    Options
    Hi Lee, Just do a Google search on "passive resistance workout" and "isometric workout." I have a routine I do about 10 min., 3x a week. The great thing is that aside from a couple of dumbbells you don't need any equipment to do these exercises and they will strengthen core and back muscles. I don't mean you should take up bicycling without checking with your dr. vis a vis your issues but maybe you could just try it and see what results you get. Best thing to help with numbness is PADDED BIKE SHORTS they make a huge difference. However you are absolutely right, with any exercise start slow and then just up the intensity a bit each day.

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Options
    Good for you! I admire your mindset to begin your journey into a lifelong healthier person, you're so far ahead by being realistic and honest -Good for You!!
    Have you ever looked at Pinterest, it's also a massive resource for health and wellness, exercise and inspirational lifestyle. I'll send you an add on MFP :)
  • aberman2
    Options
    Kevvboy wrote: »
    Hi Lee, Just do a Google search on "passive resistance workout" and "isometric workout." I have a routine I do about 10 min., 3x a week. The great thing is that aside from a couple of dumbbells you don't need any equipment to do these exercises and they will strengthen core and back muscles. I don't mean you should take up bicycling without checking with your dr. vis a vis your issues but maybe you could just try it and see what results you get. Best thing to help with numbness is PADDED BIKE SHORTS they make a huge difference. However you are absolutely right, with any exercise start slow and then just up the intensity a bit each day.

• aberman2
    Options
    Hi Lee,
    Have you figured out what your diet choice will be ? I've found it's best to choose an actual style of eating that suits me rather than winging it. You may have to go through several approaches before one works for you but that's ok....after all, how often do we get something new right on the first try? I'm the research type. Over the years, before I've started a new diet, I research the plan and the "science". As you can imagine, many don't pass the sniff test or for other reasons weren't right for me at that time in my life. Eventually I hit on something that has become my eating lifestyle for the last three years and about 30 pounds ago. I think the message is, consider taking a business like approach to this new venture; you may not be successful with the first business plan or the second or third, but you will hit on something that and reach your goals.
    Good luck!