Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Quinoa

vickijukes5
vickijukes5 Posts: 5 Member
I have been eating quinoa as a substitute for rice. But it can be quite boring does anyone have any fun recipes to keep it interesting?

Replies

• I used quinoa as a substitute for potatoes in my sausage and egg casserole and it's really nummy. Even my husband eats it.
    1lb turkey sausage
    chopped veggies as desired (I use mushrooms and green onion. Last time I added shredded carrots too. Fresh tomato also works well but add that after everything else is cooked)
    8 oz. low fat cheese (I use a cheese substitute because I can't have dairy)
    12 eggs (yeah that's a lot but this serves a lot. you can cut the eggs in half and it still works but doesn't go as far)
    1 cup dry quinoa

I cook my quinoa in a microwave rice cooker but how ever you do it cook the quinoa with 2 cups water and a half tsp salt (or to your tastes)

Fry up the turkey sausage in a non stick skillet without adding any extra fat
    add the veggies that you want cooked in and continue to sauté
    when the veggies are cooked the way you like add the cooked quinoa and the eggs
    stir it all together and continue on medium/low heat until the eggs are cooked through
    stir in the cheese, turn off the heat, put on a lid, and allow the cheese to melt
    then stir in any fresh veggies and serve.
  • I always cook quinoa with chicken broth it gives it so much more flavor ☺
  • badbradley
    badbradley Posts: 38 Member
    It makes a good hot breakfast cereal you can doll up any way you like.
  • I added pesto when prepping it. Now it always has a great flavor that pairs well with any veggies I add to it. Usually I just grab a bowl, out some quinoa in it and top with whatever veggies I have prepped in the fridge. Yummy! I also eat a salad with that. Sometimes I add chicken or salmon.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,787 Member
    I don't like quinoa on its own, and I don't even really like plain quinoa that I season myself. I do quite like the Roland brand flavored quinoa packets. I use the Mediterranean one to make a quinoa salad with cucumber, tomato, onion, olives, and artichoke hearts; I mix the garden vegetable one into mini frittatas. I haven't found a use for the roasted garlic one yet, but it tastes all right on its own as a side with chicken or whatever.
  • wynnie10
    wynnie10 Posts: 5 Member
    I cook it off and leave to cool and then add chopped coriander, tomatoes, onion and cucumber and a dressing of lemon juice, teaspoon of mint sauce and loads of black pepper... Sometimes I add a but of fresh chopped chilli too.
  • vickijukes5
    These are all fantastic ideas!!! Thank you everyone so much!
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    I've not tried quinoa before but I want to. I have heard it is a super food so I have loads of recipes on pinteredt that call for it. A lot of people add it to salads and soups or stir frys. I bet you could find lots of great recipes there.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I make a really good quinoa salad and a hot dish. Both focus on kale. For the cold salad, you cook the quinoa according to the package. While its cooking, chop apple and set it aside to soak in lemon juice. Chop some green onion and chop up a big bunch of kale really small. When the quinoa is done, mix the hot quinoa with the kale and onion and some herbs, salt to taste. When it has cooled, stir in the apple.

This is the ingredient list for the hot dish:
    2.00 tbsp (10g), Korr Vegetable Recipe Mix
    0.25 cup, Quinoa(+2x water)

0.19 cup (40g), Mixed Fruit - Dried
    200.00 g, Kale - Raw
    I usually cook the quinoa separately from the soup mix, kale, and fruit, then stir everything together. You will need to add water to the kale, I just don't measure it. This recipe makes 4 -93calorie servings:)
  • Sonya_Morley
    Sonya_Morley Posts: 1 Member
    I like to cook quinoa in unsweetened vanilla almond milk and then add a tablespoon of peanut butter and some chopped apple.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I like to cook quinoa in unsweetened vanilla almond milk and then add a tablespoon of peanut butter and some chopped apple.

That sounds good, a twist on hot cereal:)
  • vickijukes5
    I've not tried quinoa before but I want to. I have heard it is a super food so I have loads of recipes on pinteredt that call for it. A lot of people add it to salads and soups or stir frys. I bet you could find lots of great recipes there.
    I throughly enjoy it to be honest with you... It can be boring at times
  • vickijukes5
    I have also had it with a homemade balti. Which was fantastic
  • I like it with stir fry as well with some seasonings, maybe lean turkey or beef.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Roll it into balls and plop them at people.