I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• Freddi_O
    Freddi_O Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You actually look fantastic! Congrats on losing the weight and your engagement. What would a typical day in your food diary look like?
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Dude you are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing :smile:
  • abhisheksengupta
    abhisheksengupta Posts: 28 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you Vismal for taking the time for those great answers. If I may, I'll like to trouble you with a few more from your experiences.

Q1. Since you were a obese guy and started seeing results in a couple of weeks, did you ever get into into that rush to get rid of all that fat? By over-training or going for bigger calorie deficits? Was patience ever an issue? Also would weight training be your go to method for fat loss or is cardio exercise+calorie deficit a bigger factor?

Q2. When you started getting rid of that fat, was it evenly out from all areas? Or where there places (like abdomen) that reduced slower? Since you have been dieting for a while, do you eat back the other exercise calories? Like for my case do I eat an extra 400 cals if I continue walking 4-6 miles a day? (I'm sorry but I find TDEE calculations (plain factor multiplications) very vague).

Also could you do a comparison of HIIT vs. Low Intensity High Volume Cardio for us?
    Few trainers (like musclecamp) swear by the latter that it creates deficits without impacting muscle growth. Any experience on that?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    wobande wrote: »
    You actually look fantastic! Congrats on losing the weight and your engagement. What would a typical day in your food diary look like?
    My Diary is open so feel free to have a look. I also post full day of eating videos on my YouTube page once a week.

• vismal
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thank you Vismal for taking the time for those great answers. If I may, I'll like to trouble you with a few more from your experiences.

Q1. Since you were a obese guy and started seeing results in a couple of weeks, did you ever get into into that rush to get rid of all that fat? By over-training or going for bigger calorie deficits? Was patience ever an issue? Also would weight training be your go to method for fat loss or is cardio exercise+calorie deficit a bigger factor?There was a time early on where I was eating around 1800 calories, running 6 times a week ,etc. I guess I wasn't really eating 1800 calories because I didn't weigh or measure and had a weekly cheat meal where I ate the whole house, but yeah, in the early part I think we all tend to get impatient and try and push the envelope. Your body will remind you fairly quickly that you can't keep that kind of a pace up. Weight training will not do much to aid fat loss. That should not be the reason you lift. Weight training preserves lean mass so that the majority of your weight loss is fat, not lean tissue. It will greatly improve your body composition once you've lost all the weight. It is also a crucial step if you have physique goals beyond just losing weight.

Q2. When you started getting rid of that fat, was it evenly out from all areas? Or where there places (like abdomen) that reduced slower? Since you have been dieting for a while, do you eat back the other exercise calories? Like for my case do I eat an extra 400 cals if I continue walking 4-6 miles a day? (I'm sorry but I find TDEE calculations (plain factor multiplications) very vague). Like most people, at first weight came off from everywhere. When my body fat became fairly low, places like my lower back and abdomen (common for men) seemed to hold fat the longest. The only way to handle this is to keep losing fat. I use a TDEE method so I never eat back exercise calories. The rare exception would be if my goal is to bulk (eat over maintenance) and I do an usual amount of "cardio" (20 mile hike, 3 hour bike ride, etc) then I will make a rough guess of how much extra I burned and eat it back. These occasions are rare.

Also could you do a comparison of HIIT vs. Low Intensity High Volume Cardio for us?
    Few trainers (like musclecamp) swear by the latter that it creates deficits without impacting muscle growth. Any experience on that?Lyle has a great series of articles on the subject. It's much more thorough then I can be. This is the conclusion, http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/stead-state-versus-intervals-finally-a-conclusion.html/, but if you have the time, read the entire series.

Answers in bold.
  • johncostello662
    johncostello662 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    How much did you loose? I have about 70 pounds to loose and I 'm confident I can do it. I'm worried about having excess skin though. Any advice?
  • vanessafinalbattle
    vanessafinalbattle Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is the best, honest post I have ever seen! Congrats to you and all your dedication.

I plan to be in a similar boat in the future. Lost 100 Lbs in the last few years and have the last 20-30 Lbs of fat to get rid of!
  • keola64
    keola64 Posts: 207 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good job getting it done
  • keola64
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • keola64
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!
    how do you post photos here? Ty

• Jte1130
    Jte1130 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey awesome job and definitely inspiring. Just finished reading through the thread. Thank you for all of these helpful information and for being so responsive to everyone's questions.

I just started tracking on MFP about a week ago. Eating at a deficit I'm down a pound so far but it's a start. I've also started walking at a fast pace on the treadmill(building towards a jog) about an hour a night.

My question is about weighing food. When it comes to food that has to be cooked is the "per serving size" measured before or after cooking? For instance with a pastor rice there is a big difference between when you weigh it.

Thank you in advance.
  • migueldabu
    migueldabu Posts: 11 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nice work man! I too was doing 5x5's but last year I injured my back due to sports and I stopped. This new year I was at my heaviest at 220 lbs and I am just 5'8. After taking this seriously I went back to MFP and since January 1 I have been logging my calories and I went back to the gym a week ago. With cardio (running and cycling) I was able to lose 7 pounds to date. I have lots to go and I am just on my 2nd week of SL 5x5. This story of yours is really inspiring!

I used to have a set of weights with an olympic bar which I purchased used and a squat rack. I was really enjoying the progress until that injury. I sold my set thinking I will never be able to lift again but a year later my back is ok. Too bad I sold my equipment, because if I have a choice I'd rather lift at home because of convenience and I can lift any time without waiting for someone to finish at the rack.
  • michellel99
    michellel99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What do you recommend to target "bat wings". Also I'm a newbie to 5x5 workouts. And a little confused about the warm up and work outs. Can you explain that for me? Last question, I use an apt. Gym and we don't have barbell weights only dumbbells. Is there a dumbbell 5x5? Thank you!
  • vismal
    Options
    How much did you loose? I have about 70 pounds to loose and I 'm confident I can do it. I'm worried about having excess skin though. Any advice?
    Head back to page 24. I posted a video where I talk about loose skin.

• vismal
    Options
    Jte1130 wrote: »
    Hey awesome job and definitely inspiring. Just finished reading through the thread. Thank you for all of these helpful information and for being so responsive to everyone's questions.

I just started tracking on MFP about a week ago. Eating at a deficit I'm down a pound so far but it's a start. I've also started walking at a fast pace on the treadmill(building towards a jog) about an hour a night.

My question is about weighing food. When it comes to food that has to be cooked is the "per serving size" measured before or after cooking? For instance with a pastor rice there is a big difference between when you weigh it.

Thank you in advance.
    Go by what the nutritional information says. If the info cooked rice, weigh it cooked, if it's for dry rice, weigh it dried. If it doesn't specify, always assumed dry/raw.
    What do you recommend to target "bat wings". Also I'm a newbie to 5x5 workouts. And a little confused about the warm up and work outs. Can you explain that for me? Last question, I use an apt. Gym and we don't have barbell weights only dumbbells. Is there a dumbbell 5x5? Thank you!
    As far as "bat wings" unfortunately you can't spot reduce fat so you must just lose fat overall and eventually it will come off of problem areas. For the warmup to the 5x5, do maybe 50% of what you'll be doing for your working sets. If you do not have a barbell you can complete 90% of the 5x5 as written, just use dumbbells. Squat you will have to modify to either goblet squats or rear foot elevated split squats (search youtube for those exercises if you need examples). Bench, overhead press, rows, etc can all be done with dumbbells.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Lol i thought there was something special about the popcorn microwave bags too that made them pop..hahh very cool vid!

You've been a true inspiration to me, ive already lost 6kg since i started reading yr post,
    your remind me alot of my younger brother - so like it or not, you now have a big sis! =)
    - congrats on being so effing awesome, keeping up the replies and helping people, and being such a cool inspiration to me and everyone....!!! yep, you rock!!
  • phoenixbaby2014
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I starting lifting maybe 6 months into my weight loss. Originally it was just diet and running. I wish I would have started lifting from the get go though. That would be what I consider my number 1 mistake. As for the type of lifting, I did it wrong at first by doing a typical "bro split" where you do a body part a day with high reps and low weight. I later switched to 5x5 training which is what I would have started with day 1 if I had to go back and do it again. I currently do a upper/lower 4 day a week split for intermediate lifters.

Hi well done on your success just by reading your responses to questions you have answered mine thank you. Can you please add me I do not know how to add people yet but I feel you would be a great role model.
  • cswalker02
    cswalker02 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation! Thanks for being so open, honest, unselfish and kind. I have a few questions for you.
    1. How did your coworkers respond to your transformation?
    2. How do you feel about people restricting their sugar intake to 25g or less per day not including fruit but from other sources? (Saw this on a website about this helps lose weight) You're in the healthcare field so wanted your opinion on sugar in regards to health.
    3. Recently, there has been more promotion of organic food, whole foods, non gmo, etc. I love eating wholesome organic food, but it can get pricey. Especially for a large family. How can you be sure it is organic and howe much does it matter? Im starting not to trust labels anymore.

Thank you! ☺
  • vismal
    Options
    cswalker02 wrote: »
    Amazing transformation! Thanks for being so open, honest, unselfish and kind. I have a few questions for you.
    1. How did your coworkers respond to your transformation?
    2. How do you feel about people restricting their sugar intake to 25g or less per day not including fruit but from other sources? (Saw this on a website about this helps lose weight) You're in the healthcare field so wanted your opinion on sugar in regards to health.
    3. Recently, there has been more promotion of organic food, whole foods, non gmo, etc. I love eating wholesome organic food, but it can get pricey. Especially for a large family. How can you be sure it is organic and howe much does it matter? Im starting not to trust labels anymore.

Thank you! ☺
    My coworkers were supportive for the most part. They were pretty good at not nagging me when I didn't want to order food out, or eat the things they brought/made from home. As far as limiting sugar to 25 grams or less per day, I could think of no reason anyone would need to do that. Sugar does not hamper weight loss. Weight loss is all about calories and sugar is just another thing that contains calories. So long as you remain under your calorie goal, hit you macro nutrient goals, and eat enough micro nutrient rich food, it really does not matter how much sugar you consume. This is of course providing you do not have a health condition (diabetes for example). As far as eating organic or gmo free, I think it's mostly nonsense. Lead and arsenic are organic, they can kill you. Many medications are not organic, they might save your life. There simply isn't any quality research the proves eating all organic, or gmo free, is any better for you. You also cannot be sure anything is "organic" unless you grew it yourself. I just don't see any reason whatsoever to spending all that extra money on something not proven to do anything at all.

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is been asked did you work out at the gym or at home or both? Also where did you look to for information when you were starting to life (assuming you didn't already have basic knowledge).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!