Big girl jogging problems!

Options
Okay ladies, being real here. I'm 192 lbs and started my fitness journey a week ago. I've been walking 2-4 miles a day half of that up crazy hills. But today, I tried my hand at jogging...it didn't go so well lol.

First off, I wore some stretchy workout pants and a waist high light sweater thing. Took off feeling awesome...then halfway down the street my pants start rolling down! What the hell! Spent the whole time trying to pull up my pants. Was so self conscious about my "curves" flopping around exposed to the world that I ended my adventure 3 blocks down and opted back to walking. So...my question is, am I crazy or does this happen to anyone else? What do you all wear (talking to bigger people here) to keep yourself covered up?

Replies

• LazyNightOwl
    LazyNightOwl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've always been a layers type of girl and my workout attire reflects that. I wear one of those workout tops with a built in bra shelf type of thing (hate them in anything else but these types of shirts) that wicks away my sweat. Over that I wear a sleeveless shirt, the undershirt is normally longer than my over shirt and that is tucked in so my bits stay under wraps. I normally wear cropped sweats with elastic around the bottoms (these hit me right under the knee). It's comfy and I know nothing is going to be showing.
  • leelee99075
    leelee99075 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 jogs to get the "mechanics" figured out between clothing and technology. I had the same problems. I have been wearing a good slightly snug pair of leggings/stretch pants now instead of workout pants. I also must have on some good fitting full butt underwear. :D The first time my underwear kept rolling down... :s . A good sports bra is a must. I even wear 2 sometimes for added support. I wear a fitted tank with a looser shirt over which helps it from rising too much. Hope some of this helps. Good luck. BTW, I'm 235 currently, down from 303 and started jogging about 3 weeks ago.
  • natashajf
    natashajf Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Step 1 get yourself a good bra, get a proper fitting in store so you have the right one. I love Berlei bras but always get the assistant in store to check that I have the right size etc. I also have a slightly snug pair of stretch pants that keep all the bits from not wobbling too much. Since I sweat heaps I have a couple of workout shirts made from material that is good at wicking the sweat away, I have them slightly large so they come down over my hips. Only just started adding jogging into my walks and so far going ok.
  • guimauveconfections
    Options
    Awesome, thanks ladies, thought I might be the only one :/ The underwear rolling down thing...oh man its the worst! I have some long tanks I can wear but just the feeling that my pants are rollin down at the waistline is ridiculously nerve racking!
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I rear running cropped leggings that have a good elasticacted top - anything that's just Lycra falls straight down! When I first lost weight I tried some more 'trendy' gym gear and soon realized I needed much more functional! Karrimor stuff works for me. For a bra I use Shock absorber. I also do lots of layers, but that's partly cos I feel the cold really badly! I like to have a wicking layer, then a thermal one, then I usually have a fleece as well!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Capri leggings (semi-fitted)… tight at the waist (elasticized), hips, and thighs, then loser at the knees and hem. Good sports bra (made for high impact). Fitted (body skimming) top. I also wear an undershirt too… very fitted (just in case the shirt inches up while I'm jogging, I'm not showing off a fat, bare midriff to the world!) All fabrics are wicking. For whatever it's worth… my capris and shirt are just from Target.
  • guimauveconfections
    Options
    What about those compression pants I keep hearing about? Anyone use them? Do they stay put?
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Compression capris were the key for me! Yoga pants just kept heading south, especially once the pounds starting peeling off. After lots of runs bunching my yoga pants up at the waist and tying off the extra fabric with a hair elastic, I finally cracked and invested in a bunch of compression pants. I like the full-length ones for chilly weather and the capris for warmer temperatures.

Definitely stick with moisture wicking fabrics (at the very least for your sports bras, but preferably for your tank tops as well)! Cotton is not your friend.

I grab my stuff at Old Navy whenever they have an Activewear sale!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Compression capris are awesome! They keep you from bouncing all over the place, too. LOL. They also stay put, keep your undies out of your butt and are comfortable. In the summer, I wear an oversized running tank top, in the winter I wear an oversize moisture wicking top and a moisture wicking running jacket.
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Another vote for compression leggings. I get mine at Old Navy. Love them.
  • guimauveconfections
    Options
    Awesome! Do they roll down like leggings?
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I just had this problem the other day from doing the Couch 2 5k. I couldn't believe how often I had to pull up my favorite workout capris. I'll definitely have to check out Old Navy.
  • sngordon10
    Options
    I have a large chest and hated running until I found the enell sports bras from Dicks (you can also get them online) and I wear fitted capris to run in like the kind you get from Walmart but I don't wear underwear because then I get chafing. after a few runs you get the mechanics of it and it won't be so bad.
  • agoodz9
    agoodz9 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I only buy running tights that have a drawstring, otherwise I spend the whole run either tugging up my pants or thinking that I should be tugging up my pants! Look for the drawstring now before I buy!
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Oh, how I understand these problems!

I wear two bras (a full cover sports bra and a wire sports bra). I also wear a really oversized t-shirt (my boyfriends works great, larger and longer) so that the whole world doesn't need the play by play of my jiggles. I have discovered that finding higher waisted exercise leggings/capris work the best because the higher waist hugs my hips and that helps keep it up. I opt for the kind with the thicker band as well cause that also helps keep em up! For jackets, I pick something also baggy and long (a Russell hoodie in about XL-XXL are my favourite).
  • Polishchik
    Polishchik Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    2 sports bras, or sorts bra with a workout shirt what has a sports bra built in.

Higher fitting work out pants with drawstrings! No more falling off my hips! Can't stand it when I made that mistake in the past. Ruins the whole workout.

The right underwear, because I've been there, underwear that runs away from you.. So annoying!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm thinner now and my pants are still always falling down. It makes me want to rip them off!!!
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    YES Old Navy compresion capris! I never thought I could wear tight workout pants because the hip/thigh/*kitten* area is my worst, but they seriously hold everything in, stay up, don't chafe and even have a little hidden slit pocket in the back waistband. I would wear them 7 days a week all day if I could.
  • runeatrunlive
    runeatrunlive Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The best thing that I ever did was buy some running leggings with a drawstring inside the waistband. I used to run in some yoga pants and they fell down all the time. I then bought some with a drawstring and the problem never occurred again :) I prefer Nike or New Balance and wear them quite high on my waist and wear a long top to avoid any major lumps and bumps.
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Do they roll down like leggings?

I haven't had issues. Sometimes they sag in the crotch a tad, but it doesn't really bother me. On the other hand, I usually have issues with my tops scrunching up, so I usually look for really long tops.