want to run/ but think I look stupid

Options
Melissaol
Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
My son runs alot. I would like to run with him this summer. But i have been trying to run. But i can not stop thinking i look stupid. What can i do. I never did any running in school.

Replies

• breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I understand the feeling. But it's not about what other people think. How do you think you'll look when you start running and dropping the weight and feeling great? I think you will look awesome! For the record, I think I look stupid running too, me and all the other stupid runners out there. Good luck!
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Just do it!!! I am sure you look fine!! Do not worry what others think, just run for you!!!! Go for it :)
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    9 out of ten times I bet you that no one is watching you run. Remember that you are running for you and not to show off. So just go run and don't worry about what anyone thinks. Everyone runs differently and it shouldn't matter how you run / how you look. Enjoy the run for what the run brings to you.
  • justaloozer
    justaloozer Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I am really obese at 288lbs (as of this morning!) but I *know* I can run a little. I just feel like people will look at me if I run on the treadmill like Im going to break it.
  • Plumpqt
    Plumpqt Posts: 156
    Options
    I was like you as well, I didnt want to work out or run infront of anyone. You just have to let it go, not only is it totally freeing but when you start seeing results you just dont care anymore. We are our worst critics im sure nobody is going to be watching you. so go enjoy and be healthy :)
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Just picture that episode of Friends where Phoebe was running through Central Park flailing like a maniac. You could never look that silly! :laugh:
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Dude, who cares how you look. Think about all those people who are sitting on their butts watching tv eating chips. You are out there running. Screw anyone who says anything. I've been heckled while I plod along but I didn't let it stop me. I've run 8 (9 after tomorrow) half marathons. Not many people in the world can say that. Get out there with your son and have a GREAT run. You'll feel better for it!!
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    I've started running, and I look like a complete freak. I get up before the sun and run in the dark...............when I am suitable for viewing, I will run during the daylight...LOL........
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I went to get analysed for running shoes after just a week of jogging. The guy in the shop said my running "style" was "unusual". I think that was code for "you run like a freak" :laugh:

But trust me, it's not important how you run (as long as you're not doing yourself an injury) it's that you're doing it at all :)

here's a clip for you - hope you find it funny!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_0Ta_DIWuU
  • pearlof69
    pearlof69 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That is exactly how I feel. I have just downloaded C25K which I want to do in my lunch hour but the looking stupid is holding me back too. I need a big injection of "confidence".
  • bka8
    bka8 Posts: 92
    Options
    Ya know, everyone looks silly running. (And if you don't think so, try watching people run upside down! Trust me!) But it is about the feeling!! If ya feel good doing it, go for it!
  • lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    like nike says... JUST DO IT. I was big my whole life. anytime i tried to run, my side would hurt, my hips would hurt, my chest would hurt, blah blah blah. I stopped caring about how others would view a fat girl working out/jogging/skipping/whatever and just did it. Today, for the first time in my whole entire life, I jogged for 30 minutes straight. OUTSIDE! where people could see me! :)
  • xAmyHerex
    xAmyHerex Posts: 2
    Options
    yeeah I understand, every time I take my dog for a walk I probably don't lose as much because I feel like an idiot when I run. But I used to be pretty good at running but I feel silly when people r watching me.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Oh I know I look stupid when jogging but the more you get out and do it, you tend not to even think about how stupid "YOU" think you look. It doesn't even matter to the next person. Just think about how good you will feel when the breeze is touching your skin.

I'm so addicted to jogging now. Everytime I tell myself ok today is just a brisk walk day I can't seem to stick with it. I start jogging. It never fails.

So with that said, get out there and JUST DO IT!! Also go at your own pace. You probably won't be able to keep your son's pace without getting tired quickly.
  • Erica1965
    Erica1965 Posts: 36
    Options
    If you really run "funny" dress in a clown costume or something funny, then everyone will think it's part of your act. :wink:
    Seriously, no one is looking and your health is more important than what you look like. Best of luck, now RUN!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    I was inspired to take up running because a mentor started in 2010 and now, 18 months later is WINNING 5K and 10K races.

I know I look silly running right now - I'm 60lbs over my target weight and I carry the majority of my excess weight between my waist and knees. But - I've been training C25K for 4 days now... and while I don't weigh in until Sunday morning, my jeans and dress pants are ALREADY fitting better from when I started on Monday.

If you want to tone/lose in the area between waist and knees, running, jogging & walking is the proven quick, sustainable and healthy method.

Just think - after a period of running regularly, you will look GREAT. Everyone starts looking silly & feeling uncomfortable - we all have to find our stride & breathing (yea runner's lungs) but its worth it - promise.
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Just picture that episode of Friends where Phoebe was running through Central Park flailing like a maniac. You could never look that silly! :laugh:
    I was thinking the same thing, also I run at 6am, whoever sees me at that hour deserves a good giggle.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Instead of thinking that you look funny, maybe people are thinking, "Good for you! Keep on moving."

But honestly, I don't think most people running will be thinking too much about anyone except themselves and thinking: "Do I look stupid?" or "How much further?" or what I usually am thinking "I hate running!"
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just run. I see people running/jogging these days and want to give them big woo-woo's on the way by them, but I don't want them to take it the wrong way ;)

Honestly there are some of us out here who used to run but can't for one reason or another (mine is knees), so we do other things - walking, other low-impact cardio, etc. But some days I really really miss it. So if you can run, then run, and know that NO ONE is going to think you look stupid. Fact is, you'll be doing it, and even more experienced runners will give you a nod of respect, because they remember how hard it is.
  • JessPaul93016
    JessPaul93016 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Just get out there and do it!! I thought I would not look so hot running either. My friend and I are doing the weight loss together and both 200+lbs. We started slow and built up our endurance to run/jog. A few weeks ago we were running on the sidewalk when a group of teenage boys in a car past us. Naturally I thought "oh boy, I just know they're going to say something:... Sure enough the one in the passenger seat stuck his head out the window and yelled "Good Job!!" and gave us a thumbs up!!! I was shocked that someone litterally off the street was encouranging us! It was a fantastic feeling and we ran longer that day than we had in the past. So, even if you may think you look stupid, there are people out there who look at you going, Good for her!!