Heart rate.

Options
2»

Replies

• kim_m_kk
    kim_m_kk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I have a chest monitor and use the machine monitor they are usually almost the same. I upped the limit a little today and felt like I had a better work out. I am for sure not fit but there is only one way to get fit right. Exercise so I am working on it.
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    desika8787 wrote: »
    The only controlled way would be a stress/exercise ECG but for a healthy person this is not necessary :) I worked 2 years for a hospital focused on heart issues and sports medicine :)

Heh, well, that would be why I said in my original post to go outside and find a hill if you're in good health. I assume if someone has HBP they don't want to be seeing how hard they can push their heart rate.
  • nineateseven
    nineateseven Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If your doctor cleared you for exercise, I wouldn't be worried. What's more important is noting your level of exertion and how you feel. If your HR is 170 and you're not gasping for breath, not feeling lightheaded, and not feeling nauseous, I would say you're probably fine.

Some people just have a higher than normal heart rate range. I'm 31 and the "recommended" HR zones are w-a-y off for me. My max is somewhere around 206. Found that out the stupid way by pushing myself for a quarter mile at the end of a 5K when it was hot and humid. Not recommended. At all. My minimum is below 60, even when I'm not in shape.

You might want to check into the Karvonen formula for figuring out your heart rate zones. It takes into account your resting HR, not just your maximum heart rate. That's given me the most accurate zones to work in, especially when I look at other guidelines for how I should feel in a particular zone. For example: When I do an easy run, my HR is supposed to be around 65-75% of my max, and I should feel like I can have a conversation but not sing. When I use the HR zones I calculated with the Karvonen formula, that's exactly how I feel when my HR is between 65-75% of my max.

To estimate your minimum: Wear your HRM around the house and check on it after you've been sitting perfectly still and calm for a while. Do that a few times and see what your average is.

To estimate your maximum: Look for the highest number you see when you're really working hard, and estimate a little higher than that. Don't actually try to push to find your true max. Trust me, it doesn't feel good.

Good luck with your goals!