Do you have a "cheat" meal?

Options
I have just started eating healthy and exercising have had a really good 10 days where I haven't eaten or drank any processed/fizzy/unhealthy things.
I have woke up this morning craving pizza. If I have a pizza this evening have I failed or can I just carry on as normal tomorrow and have a cheat meal once a week?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat pizza that fits your macros and calorie goal, then you haven't cheated or failed or whatever else.

There's no such thing as bad food, just people who eat badly.
  • lieajane
    lieajane Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just had a McDonald's for lunch.
    If you choose your pizza wisely and understand that it's not an everyday meal then you can work it into your new lifestyle no problem. It's more likely you'll stick with it in the long term if you don't completely cut out the things you love.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Eating pizza isn't cheating.

The only rule about losing weight is to eat less than you burn. For me that means eating in a way that I enjoy and which meets my nutritional needs. That includes pizza when I want it.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.

I eat pizza, if it fits in to my calorie and macronutrient goals. Same goes for every other food from every food group (user sensibility is obviously employed to maintain a balanced and nutritional intake).

There are no 'bad' foods or 'good' foods, just foods. You 'fail' by going over your set calorie goal, you can do that with apples and carrot just as you can with pizza and ice cream.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I find that if I am craving something there is a reason to why I am craving it. So, I will go out and get what I am craving and have some. This has helped my binging significantly.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You haven't had anything processed? I don't believe you...
  • natttynoo
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Makes me feel alot better.
    Sevendus912- I haven't no need to lie I would only be lying to myself.
  • CObluegrass
    CObluegrass Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    can you give up pizza for life? if not, find a way to fit it in. For me, a piece or two with a big heaping side of veggies or a salad works (instead of 4-5 pieces of pizza). I won't give up any food that I love...I just find a way to make it work.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat because cheating to me means eating things I don't normally eat. But I don't cut foods out. I'm having birthday dinner (lunch?) today, I'm having an individual GF pizza while everyone else is having Chinese. I'm also having a Gf donut for dessert that I'll bring.

The pizza is like 800 calories, fits my day. If I really needed to, I'd just eat only half. I did bank extra cals from last night and just from being a bit under every day (not on purpose) so I'm able to eat almost an extra 150 cals today, which helps fit in the higher calorie, less filling foods.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    natttynoo wrote: »

You have your own cow for milk?
  • natttynoo
    Options

Of course not no need to be pedantic. Was just seeing what other people thought on my subject.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Of course not no need to be pedantic. Was just seeing what other people thought on my subject.

I wasn't, I was just trying to explain the comment that sevendust912 made!
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I make pitta bread pizza, it's lush, helps any cravings and for less than 400 calories x
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I USED to have cheat days (Resulted in me binging since I cut out so much), now I just have 2 meals a day of whatever I want and fit it in my 1200 calories goal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Nope. I eat. Sometimes I indulge a bit. Sometimes I have treats. Sometimes i eat a little less. Sometimes I turn down treats. Sometimes I eat exactly what I'm craving. Sometimes I modify things. It's all part of "how I eat" aka "my diet".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I USED to have cheat days (Resulted in me binging since I cut out so much), now I just have 2 meals a day of whatever I want and fit it in my 1200 calories goal.

This is where finding what works for you for the long haul becomes important. I could NEVER do what you're doing. Are you sure you're:
    A: eating enough
    B: eating food that fuels your body (micro nutrients/macro nutrients)
    Just be sure you're not working against yourself/hurting yourself.
  • mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some foods are actually addictive. A study showed oreos to be more addictive than cocaine in rats. I know this happens to me, and once I've gone through withdrawal cutting these foods out, it will do me more harm than good giving myself a "cheat" meal.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    mwm158 wrote: »
    Some foods are actually addictive. A study showed oreos to be more addictive than cocaine in rats. I know this happens to me, and once I've gone through withdrawal cutting these foods out, it will do me more harm than good giving myself a "cheat" meal.

What foods are "addictive"?
  • mwm158
    mwm158 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    i plan a cheat meal, typically once a week.....if you do some research, there is studies shown that strict calorie reduction (1200, etc) all week, and a cheat meal mixed in.....on one of those days, it's supposed to spike the metabolism......your body goes crazy, like, "omg where did this food come from" and so it goes into overdrive digesting the food (which in turn buns calories too.....)

I typically plann my cheat meal on a day off, and i eat early in the day, and typically follow it by a 12-16 hour 'fast'.....in which i basically don't eat anything until 10-12noon that next day......

99 lbs down and like 20 more to go :)