Question about women losing fat/building muscle

Options
I know in order to see muscles and the results of weight lifting you need to lose fat. But how come I have seen "thicker" women (not heavy by any means but just a thicker build) look toned and shapely? I thought in order to look "toned", you needed to lose fat and get trim...but i have seen thicker women look toned and they have not lost all of their fat. I am confused about this..

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by thicker women? I really don't know what that means.
  • iceycoldhot
    iceycoldhot Posts: 72 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Someone like this (and yes this pic was on a public website for thick women so I am allowed to post it)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1601123_584243541655226_589295653_n.jpg?oh=bd8b903a5ef9febb42b486383ce9c7a9&oe=55635C71&__gda__=1433109506_0bb88538d109d60e2766f588975f3a1d

Or this

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1454820_566542143425366_2127477532_n.jpg?oh=804bc73da0ba5c5e08a14a2a077788cb&oe=556CA08A&__gda__=1429060515_f2b54ff9a4f75f7388e9abf77a07a6bb

This woman has hips, thicker thighs, a thick butt, but is still toned. She isn't very thin, she still has meat on her but she is toned. That's what I am not understanding.
  • jemhh
    Options
    I guess I also should have asked for your definition of toned.

Those two women have body types with pretty good fat distribution. By that I mean they have smaller waists and larger hips and busts. More like hourglass shaped. It's just their builds. Some women have it and some don't.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Toned is an odd word, technically speaking.

The woman in the first photo is lovely, and genetically blessed with a well-proportioned hourglass shape. She's also blessed with the "firmness of youth" and so gravity merely toys with her at this point. She may be active and fit and have healthy muscle fiber, but in the end, she's doesn't really have muscle definition, which is what people generally mean by "toned," I think. She's just a beautiful woman who happens to have a larger build and is super lucky in the distribution department.

The second photo has been photoshopped all to hell and isn't a reliable depiction of an actual human being. Bad waist nipping, ridiculous filter use....The woman who was photographed probably wouldn't recognize this as herself if asked to pick it out of a lineup.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Someone like this (and yes this pic was on a public website for thick women so I am allowed to post it)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/1601123_584243541655226_589295653_n.jpg?oh=bd8b903a5ef9febb42b486383ce9c7a9&oe=55635C71&__gda__=1433109506_0bb88538d109d60e2766f588975f3a1d

Or this

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1454820_566542143425366_2127477532_n.jpg?oh=804bc73da0ba5c5e08a14a2a077788cb&oe=556CA08A&__gda__=1429060515_f2b54ff9a4f75f7388e9abf77a07a6bb

This woman has hips, thicker thighs, a thick butt, but is still toned. She isn't very thin, she still has meat on her but she is toned. That's what I am not understanding.

It's your understanding of the "word" tone.

1.) it's a made up word about definition that magazines sell to people like you.
    2.) you aren't ever toned- you fall onto a sliding scale of both of body fat and muscle.

What does that mean Jo?

well son- that means you can have low body fat- with no muscle- look lean- and have little to no definition (this is where the term skinny fat is most commonly used)

you can be lean WITH muscle- and depending on the amount of body fat- and amount of muscle will determine how cut/defined/sculpted you look

you can have a significant amount of body fat + muscle- so - think strong lift- or women's power lifters at the high end- insanely strong- but well- they look quiet portly.

or you can have a lot of body fat and no muscle- which just makes you fat.

So those are all the kind of extreme's- you can of course fall anywhere on that line.

Those ladies you posted are just blessed with good genetics- and have minimal muscling. They aren't toned- they just have great skin and good genes. And that's about it.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by "toned". Neither of those women would be toned by my definition. This is a big reason why I dislike the term. It means different things to different people.

What precisely makes these body types desirable to you?

(By the way, I think that second pic is photoshopped)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by "toned". Neither of those women would be toned by my definition. This is a big reason why I dislike the term. It means different things to different people.

(By the way, I think that second pic is photoshopped)
    unquestionably.
  • iceycoldhot
    edited January 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Toned is an odd word, technically speaking.

The woman in the first photo is lovely, and genetically blessed with a well-proportioned hourglass shape. She's also blessed with the "firmness of youth" and so gravity merely toys with her at this point. She may be active and fit and have healthy muscle fiber, but in the end, she's doesn't really have muscle definition, which is what people generally mean by "toned," I think. She's just a beautiful woman who happens to have a larger build and is super lucky in the distribution department.

The second photo has been photoshopped all to hell and isn't a reliable depiction of an actual human being. Bad waist nipping, ridiculous filter use....The woman who was photographed probably wouldn't recognize this as herself if asked to pick it out of a lineup.

Well, when I say "toned" I do not mean seeing muscle definition or anything. I just mean "not jiggly"! lol I ask because the woman in the first picture has a beautiful body. The type I aspire to have. She is not a stick figure, she is not muscular, she is shapely and fuller figured but not jiggly and sloppy looking. That is the ideal for me. I have seen a lot of women who are thicker (meaning not stick skinny) but they have a toned/non jiggly body. I've seen sooo many girls with very thick shapely legs, and they are COMPLETELY toned! I was told in order to get that look I needed to lose a ton of fat from my body, but these women have fat on them but look great and not jiggly
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Those ladies are jiggly. If you mean that they don't appear to have cellulite or spongy skin, that's a combination of good genetics and photoshop.
  • iceycoldhot
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »

Yes, my idea of toned just means not jiggly. I like these types of bodies because they are soft and feminine and just beautiful in my opinion. Their body types are similar to the bodies of women in old paintings. I grew up into art and this type of body was the "ideal" back then and maybe that is why I like the look. I know most men wouldn't agree that this is a perfect body but I want to change my body for me, not men.
  • HeySwoleSister
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They ARE jiggly. They DO have cellulite, as did the women in old paintings. (See below)

The woman in the first photo looks firm mostly because of how she is posing, tasteful photoshopping (compared to the second photo) and because she's young. (As your skin looses elasticity with age, gravity HAPPENS, and the softened skin allows even more in the jiggle and sag department. Ask me how I know.)

peter_paul_rubens_medici-detail.jpg
  • iceycoldhot
    edited January 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    They ARE jiggly. They DO have cellulite, as did the women in old paintings. (See below)

The woman in the first painting looks firm mostly because of how she is posing, tasteful photoshopping (compared to the second photo) and because she's young. (As your skin looses elasticity with age, gravity HAPPENS, and the softened skin allows even more in the jiggle and sag department. Ask me how I know.)

I was not meaning every single old painting ever made. The vast majority of the ones I saw and grew up loving were of women with shapely beautiful bodies.

Such as

http://sharedhosting.siscom.net/~smolla/ebay/p-n1.jpg

And these women were just two examples. I have seen this MANY times where a full figured woman is not jiggy.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    fat distribution plays a role here, pretty sure. yes to skin elasticity (youth) and probably photoshop for the smooth look of their skin.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    pk5f2r7cp2jc.jpg

So this is me at about 170 lbs ^^ maybe 27-28% BF - I would humbly submit quite shapely at 45 years of age at the time of that pic. Age had brought on some cellulite but all in all, not too bad. BUT, BUT, BUT - where there is a significant layer of fat - there is JIGGLE.

Next photo - now at 155, more 'toned' less jiggle and losing the dramatic curves. But I will get them back with a bulk...

zj2jbqq8kz6w.jpg
  • jemhh
    Options
    How can you tell that these women are not jiggly if you are looking at still pictures?
  • madrose0715
    Options
    How can you tell that these women are not jiggly if you are looking at still pictures?

Exactly. Where there is a significant layer of fat, of course there is jiggle. One may not notice it with someone just walking around or even sitting - but it is definetely there, lol.
  • iceycoldhot
    edited January 2015
    Options

I probably shouldn't have used picture examples, because people are tending to only focus on these pictures rather than the general topic.I posted pictures to give an example of the body type I was referring to. I have seen women in real life with these figures who do not jiggle. On the beach, during summer, wearing short shorts etc.

Now I am 5'4 around 135 pounds. Yes I lift weight and heavy weights at that. I am not at my ideal weight yet, but when I asked how come I still jiggle despite heavy weight lifting...I was told it was because I did not lose enough fat to see the muscle and look "toned". But I have seen women with plenty of fat on them who look toned and they are thicker than I am.

It's like a lot of full figured models (not ALL of them but plenty of them). They are full figured yet they look great in bikini's, and they walk down a runway not jiggling or anything, in lingerie. People keep bringing up age but I have seen plenty of young people who look jiggly and sloppy. That's all I was getting at.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I probably shouldn't have used picture examples, because people are tending to only focus on these pictures rather than the general topic.I posted pictures to give an example of the body type I was referring to. I have seen women in real life with these figures who do not jiggle. On the beach, during summer, wearing short shorts etc.

Now I am 5'4 around 135 pounds. Yes I lift weight and heavy weights at that. I am not at my ideal weight yet, but when I asked how come I still jiggle despite heavy weight lifting...I was told it was because I did not lose enough fat to see the muscle and look "toned". But I have seen women with plenty of fat on them who look toned and they are thicker than I am.

It's like a lot of full figured models (not ALL of them but plenty of them). They are full figured yet they look great in bikini's, and they walk down a runway not jiggling or anything, in lingerie. People keep bringing up age but I have seen plenty of young people who look jiggly and sloppy. That's all I was getting at.

It's their skin. Genetics.

An example of the look I think you mean is fashion blogger Nadia Aboulhosn (google her for pics). She just has great skin.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    madrose0715 -- I'm your age and you look fabulous...your arms in the after pic especially show your work!
  • madrose0715
    Options
    So, go up to one of these overweight, non-jiggling women and ask them. I have yet to come accross anyone like that in my 46 years...