At home workout suggestions?

I'm a stay at home mom, and can't really go to the gym often enough. I want some suggestions for good workouts I can do at home with little to no equipment. Also, I live in Minnesota and it's colder than a witches tit outside, so indoor activities only please. I would consider my fitness level to be "beginner", so nothing too intense. Any suggestions of what you do at home would be great!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I swear by the Nerd Fitness Beginner Bodyweight workout. It was my starting point last year and I always recommend it for beginners.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Julian Michael's 30 day shred
    befitin90days (youtube videos - has rest days too)
    Zumba or dancing in general

Those are kind of intense though but good cardio, kickboxing, squats and other things involved.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    There are really cheap DVDs on eBay and free workouts on YouTube. I like Gilad and Denise Austin, but those are old and there are so many different people. Check them out!

Or just go get the mail. If you're in Minnesota and it's winter, bundling up, walking down the driveway and back up, unbundling and brushing the snow off your pants...that ought to burn some calories! ;)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Funnily enough, the MFP official blog released a post yesterday (today for some of you I guess?) regarding the best home workout videos on youtube:

blog.myfitnesspal.com/the-best-free-workout-videos-on-youtube/
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There are really cheap DVDs on eBay and free workouts on YouTube. I like Gilad and Denise Austin, but those are old and there are so many different people. Check them out!

Or just go get the mail. If you're in Minnesota and it's winter, bundling up, walking down the driveway and back up, unbundling and brushing the snow off your pants...that ought to burn some calories! ;)
    My mailbox is right out the door, nice try! I really can't leave my baby inside alone, so that's why it needs to be inside stuff.
  • Amanda682015
    Amanda682015 Posts: 68 Member
    YOUTUBE!!!!! looove it! ALL FREE!!! you can find zumba, bodyweight workouts, weighted workouts, cardio, just about anything you can think of.. It's AMAZING.

If you have a Kinect, buy workout games such as zumba and such.

If you have some extra money I HIGHLY recommend the Insanity Max 30 Workouts from beachbody. I bought mine off of Kijiji (for way less), but I know somebody who downloaded it off of downloading sites, and it comes with a copy of the calendars (for free). There is also a modified (easier) version. I am a beginner, and it is amazing. Gives you a GERAT workout in only 30 mins. You feel like you have worked out for an hour or more, and that's just going at a slow-mod. pace. I loss 3.5 inches all around the first week doing it.
  • kangaroo33
    kangaroo33 Posts: 76 Member
    You can do many things at home without equipment. There's a few sites/apps you can download for free, that will give you quite an assortment of exercises. I like SWORKIT, app, with videos, etc. You can do just about anything. Jefit is another and then there's some short videos on ShareCare and Bodybuilding.com. So, no need to spend a dime...there's tons of stuff out there with excellent exercises and tips.
  • Leslie S (can't remember last name) walking videos, Tae Bo, The Biggest Loser.

When the weather gets better, C25K is great for training for a 5K.
  • ziaibelieve
    ziaibelieve Posts: 6 Member
    I have heard great things about Focus T25, but have yet to try it.

I absolutely love PIYO! Its a great, low-impact workout that only requires a yoga mat. If you search online, you can download PIYO for free too!
  • Kateabh18
    Kateabh18 Posts: 14 Member
    I do pilates at home. Take a look at blogilates on youtube :)
  • Sophiareed218
    Sophiareed218 Posts: 145 Member
    Great suggestions so far. I'd be willing to invest in small equipment, like a yoga mat, or a resistance band.
  • Weights are cheap! Walmart sells em for around $5 (in Canada anyways)
  • xsix
    xsix Posts: 62 Member
    I'm a stay at home mom, and can't really go to the gym often enough. I want some suggestions for good workouts I can do at home with little to no equipment. Also, I live in Minnesota and it's colder than a witchp rees tit outside, so indoor activities only please. I would consider my fitness level to be "beginner", so nothing too intense. Any suggestions of what you do at home would be great!

Kettlebells, and products from lifeline fitness http://www.lifelinefitness.com/video-drills/ I use the Jungle Gym the Ab Wheel and the Pullup Revolution I included the link so you can see what you are in for, if you decide to go that route, but at the very least Kettle bells, my advise try these, the are cool cause you don't have to buy a set of bells for each weight increase, whole body workout and cardio to boot.
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    I've been using the Fitstar app that connects to this ap. love it
  • whitewolf1200
    whitewolf1200 Posts: 31 Member
    Check out blogilates. Very effective and doable
  • mitchell_212
    mitchell_212 Posts: 24 Member
    I've found some great home work outs on Pinterest! I'm a mum too and I can do it all while she has nap during the day, you don't need equipment and you can do them at any time of the day... My fitness level is prob at beginner too and I love them, just gotta stay motivated to do them :)
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds" DVDs
  • desika8787
    desika8787 Posts: 99 Member
    Jillian Michaels has tons of workouts on Youtube and all you need is a mat (if you don't have a carpet in your living room or wherever you'd like to workout) and hand-weights :) I can highly recommend it! :) also great are all those workouts on Youtube by "FitnessBlender" - they have great bodyweight workouts where you don't need other equipment than in Jillian Michaels workouts :)
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    I have cardio (love The Fat Burning Workout for Dummies), pilates, and yoga videos. I also have some foot pedals that don't take up much space that I can use anywhere around the house. Then I have a gazelle glider that folds up easily for storage. I have four children so I usually wait until my older two are at school/preschool, my youngest takes a nap, and my three year old will play or watch a show while I exercise. It's not easy trying to find time to exercise when I'm so busy day-to-day but I've made myself a priority for once and make sure to take care of my exercise as early as I can. In the evenings when all the kids are home we sometimes play Just Dance (you tube has videos of that too) and have a blast. I'm not sure how old your children are, but we also play nerf guns around the house and I swear I work up more of a sweat doing that than anything, haha.

Thanks to whoever suggested the hand weights, I've got some somewhere that I need to get out and use!
  • helenbenzie75
    helenbenzie75 Posts: 95 Member
    If you type in stair workout into You Tube it brings up some good little routines that you could try.