Coconut Oil - what do I need to know?

Options
Liz4J
Liz4J Posts: 23 Member
Hi all,
I just purchased a jar of coconut oil to try. I've heard there are many, many uses but I need more information on how good it is to cook with.
I looked on the jar and was shocked to see it was so high in saturated fat. I know some fat is good but is coconut oil worth cooking with? Give me your opinion.
I did notice when used it today that I only needed a very small amount.
Thanks in advance for the input.

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Its nice in place of vaseline, for skincare. Also good after shaving, or a little in your hair post wash. It gives me heartburn, so I don't eat it.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I use it to cook with (my homemade pan popped popcorn is da bomb!), I use it for my hair, my dry skin, and it's even good for bedroom playtime. ;)
  • Liz4J
    Options
    Its nice in place of vaseline, for skincare. Also good after shaving, or a little in your hair post wash. It gives me heartburn, so I don't eat it.

I have some slapped on my face right now! I heard you can put it in on your teeth to remove stains too. Maybe I'll try that one tomorrow!
  • Liz4J
    Options
    MizTerry wrote: »
    I use it to cook with (my homemade pan popped popcorn is da bomb!), I use it for my hair, my dry skin, and it's even good for bedroom playtime. ;)

Oooh! Bed room play time! Well, I'm positive I have enough to spare with how much I've caked on my face!
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Lot's of people say it is good for cooking because it has contains medium chain triglycerides which are good for you. Yet, other's say that it is not good for you because it has too much saturated fat. Like so many other aspects of nutrition, you will find a great deal of disagreement and you'll just have to decide for yourself!
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All of the above and I use it to season my cast iron skillets! I haven't used anything on my face save for coconut oil and honey for a year. It's cheaper than Clinique and my skin feels awesome.

Coconut oil has a high smoke point making it great for sauté and roasting. Stay away from vegetable and canola oils for cooking because they're high in Omega 6 and oxidize at high temps. Don't cook with olive oil either, save it for dressings and a little drizzle of flavor out of the pan.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have my local healthfood store order it by the gallon for me. It is an extremely stable oil that won't go rancid like most nut and seed oils. I've been making loads of these amazing truffles with it. Mix it with your favorite nut butter, some almond flour, maple syrup, roll it into bite sized balls and refrigerate. Then you can roll them in different powders like cocoa and maca. Yum.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @miriamtob‌ do you take maca? I've been looking into it, but the hormone thing kinda put me off
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Oh, I don't know about the hormone thing, can you tell me? I really like the malty flavor of it and it is an adaptogen herb, great for energy and stress.
  • rbayse1
    rbayse1 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It taste really good, (even by itself) clean and it does't stink when cocking with it. Very high in calories like any oils or fat based food. I read it was better to cook with that other oils because the medium chain triglycerides don't break down. It does get really hot so I don't turn the burner on as high.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking and baking (sub out half the butter for coconut oil). I use it in bulletproof coffee. I buy the big tubs from Costco. :)
  • Pupslice
    Pupslice Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Never cooked with it but it's soooooooooo good if you have dry skin. I use it right out of the shower, and also use it in my hair as well (it's wonderful for naturally curly hair that tends to be dry).
  • Christine_72
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know about the hormone thing, can you tell me? I really like the malty flavor of it and it is an adaptogen herb, great for energy and stress.

I've read that if your hormones are off, maca can regulate them. Menopause symptoms can be alleviated etc etc
    It doesn't contain any hormones though.

• Christine_72
    Options
    Here's just one link re maca powder
    http://wellnessmama.com/8254/maca-herb-profile/
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    The majority of what you've heard is psuedo-science fad bull. But it really is a nice oil to cook and especially bake with. Since it is solid at room temperature, it's a nice sub for butter in baked goods, as it will give the same consistency, and it imparts a very mild sweet flavor. You can also put it in smoothies and make "fat bombs" with it (add some sort of flavoring agent to room temp, solid coconut oil and then extrude it through a cookie extruder into little shapes, stick in fridge or freezer.) People on low carb/high fat diets may be interested in this, since it's not exactly delicious (although it is somewhat tolerable.) I sometimes use it to make frosting for breakfast stuff like pancakes or crepes. Just add unsweetened cocoa powder, cinnamon and a little honey.

I will say that beyond the woo, eating coconut oil makes me feel fuller longer than olive oil or butter.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is something that has been a pantry staple for me for years, but to be honest I have never once cooked with it! I use it as a moisturizer for my skin, which gets very dry and angry in the winter (but never on my face as it is a recipe for a breakout) and once a week I use it as a hair mask (I slather it in my hair, wrap my head in plastic and hang out around the house for a couple hours before washing it out, it works better than some of the fancy schmancy salon hair treatments I've tried over the years!).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    The most benefits are from the unrefined that you cook on lowish temperatures.
    I use it most often for skin and face before I go to sleep.
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I use real grass fed sweet cream butter, coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. It depends on what I want to cook as to what I will use. Coconut oil is very fragrant and works beautifully in baked goods. It also has a high burn temp so it can be used for things that need to be cooked for long periods or at high temps without burning and smoking up your house. Works great on the off chance that I am frying something but is perfect in stir frys- especially when a little exotic flair is needed. It offers a subtle sweet smell so works well for counter acting pungent smells such as garlic and onion so I use it to saute too. EVOO is light on flavor and smell, allowing it to pick up whatever flavors and smells you put into it and blending in perfectly. I use it for sauteing and for making sauces and dressings for salads. It adds smoothness without being overly heavy. I use butter in fewer cases these days but I still do occasionally when something calls for that buttery flavor you just can't achieve otherwise. But I keep butter away from stir frys because of its low burn temp. Biscuits, garlic bread and gravy normally get real butter in our house.

My favorite food to use coconut oil in is waffles. The smell of the tropical coconut wafting through your house from a hot waffle iron is nearly intoxicating. It doesn't pick up the flavor so much but when topped with fresh berries, it gives a bit of a tropical experience lol.

I also use coconut oil in my hair, on my scalp as my facial moisturizer and on my dry skin and chapped lips in the winter. I work a lot with fabric and not only does it wick the moisture right from my skin, whatever it picks up tends to leave an oily stain on my work. Coconut oil doesn't do that so it is perfect for me. I buy it in bulk at our local Sams Club and I let it get down to the last cup or two in my kitchen before I move it to the bathroom and it becomes a body use only product at that point (don't want cross contamination) as I use it much more in cooking than anything!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    be aware that if you use it on your face- its HIGHLY comedogenic.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's a nice cooking oil....but it's fat, just like any cooking oil. I use it primarily when cooking my eggs and making popcorn. Most of the miracle claims are exaggerated at best and mostly just anecdotal *kitten*.

I think it's hilarious though that the stuff was banned from movie theaters in the 90s and pretty much the "devil" and now it's a "health" food...cracks me up.