Help! I don't sweat when I exercise.

Options
I have been working out to Billy Blanks Boot Camp. (I know this is an old workout prog). My heart feels like it's about to come out my chest but I barely break a sweat and it is a 40 min intense workout. Same thing happens when I use my treadmill. Any ideas on why I'm not sweating? I used to sweat buckets.

Replies

• Thing13
    Options
    Maybe you need to drink more water/fluids.
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    sweating is just your body's way of regulating body temp. Some people sweat a ton and some people don't leak a drip. Sweating has very little to do with your exercise intensity or how many calories you are burning. For example, some people can sweat just sitting outside in the sun. No exercise or activity, but they sweat because their body needs to cool itself.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You might need to see your doctor. There are medical conditions that can cause you to stop sweating. Be careful, especially with strenuous exercise and anything in the heat. Stay hydrated.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you're overheating during the workout? If not, I probably wouldn't sweat it (heh...see what I did there?). Do you sweat until other circumstances?
  • Scorpion1115
    Options
    No pun intended huh?
  • Scorpion1115
    Options
    Thing13 wrote: »
    Maybe you need to drink more water/fluids.

I'm increasing my water now to be sure. Thanks!
  • Scorpion1115
    Options
    sheltol wrote: »
    sweating is just your body's way of regulating body temp. Some people sweat a ton and some people don't leak a drip. Sweating has very little to do with your exercise intensity or how many calories you are burning. For example, some people can sweat just sitting outside in the sun. No exercise or activity, but they sweat because their body needs to cool itself.

Never thought about it that way. Thanks for the response.
  • Scorpion1115
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Do you feel like you're overheating during the workout? If not, I probably wouldn't sweat it (heh...see what I did there?). Do you sweat until other circumstances?

I get a clammy to the touch skin now. Not a person who sweats a lot but I used to be drenched after treadmill and cardio workouts. Thanks for the thought invoking questions!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    How long have you been exercising? Your body gets more efficient at sweating as you get more fit.
  • nicoleyg
    nicoleyg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have had similar experiences. I know when I don't sweat I really don't lose any weight, but when I sweat I can see a definite increase in the weight loss. (Although many may say its just water weight loss, I have lost over 60 pounds and kept if off so far). I had to increase my water intake and also layer on clothes. Hope you find a solution. Its very frustrating when you know you are working hard, but no sweat is produced.
  • Scorpion1115
    Options
    Kudos to your weight loss!!! Yes, I feel like I'm giving 100% and no sweat. So far the scale is going in the right direction so I guess I can't complain.
  • Scorpion1115
    Options
    nilbogger wrote: »
    How long have you been exercising? Your body gets more efficient at sweating as you get more fit.

I started Jan 1st.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I didn't sweat so much when I first started training, and now (20kgs and a few years later) I sweat heaps. I have heard (as noted above) that as you become fitter you sweat more (true in my case), but some people just sweat more than others too (I have a friend who sweats a lot all the time). I also agree that upping your water intake may make a difference too, I drink a lot more water now than I used to.

:)
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm sweaty, some days I'm not. I found it really depends on how hydrated I am. Doesn't affect my weight loss at all, just on days that I'm not sweaty, I know I'm going to have a killer headache if I don't immediatly start drinking water, and continue all day