Micronutrients / Calories / Exercising - lots of info here..

Options
I sent this information to someone in an email this morning, and since I worked so hard on putting it all together, I thought I'd share it with everyone. I've made it a little more generalized here, and removed the parts that were specific to my friend's question and personal situation....

Most people are in fact "normal" insofar as what micronutrient ratios they should be eating....unless you a bodybuilder or trying to cut your body fat only (as opposed to trying to generally lose weight), you don't need super high protein....unless you are a distance runner, you don't need super high carbs....unless you are following some particular highly structured exercise plan, you don't need a diet custom tailored to anything specific. Basically, you just need a regular, balanced diet, like most people who are not elite athletes.

For various reasons - injuries, medical issues, etc. - some people just can't exercise. But that's doesn't mean you can't lose weight. You can absolutely still lose weight, it just might not be as fast a process without the exercising/weight training to build lean muscle mass which increases how fast you burn calories while at rest. All that truly matters is calories in - calories out. Cardio and weight training helps the process along by speeding it up, and by changing the composition of fat/muscle in your body, hence changing how fast you burn calories while at rest.

Some think that without exercising it will be a lot harder to lose weight.....not true. It just might take longer. Like I said above, WEIGHT loss is all about calories in vs. calories out, not the micronutrient ratios. Micronutrients come more into play when we are talking about elite athletes who need to specifically lose FAT only, or specifically build MUSCLE only, or specifically get quick access energy only. For example, you truly can lose weight by eating nothing but twinkies, as long as you eat less twinkie calories than you burn each day. In the end, you will feel crappy and sluggish due to lack of real nutrients and sugar highs/crashes, but the calories vs. calories principle still works. So, while WHAT you eat doesn't matter strictly for weight loss (only calories do), WHAT you eat does matter for how you will feel when all is said and done, and it does matter if you need a specifically tailored plan for a specific exercise program or training regimine. So, please don't eat just twinkies all the time. :wink:

As for what ratios you in particular someone should be eating, I would say the first thing you need to do is go to the MFP >> My Home >> Settings >> Update Diet/Fitness Profile page and fill it out.....the most important thing is to be honest with the "How would you describe your normal daily activities?" category. On the "How many times a week do you plan on exercising?" question, be honest and stick to that plan. If you'd rather not exercise, or if you can't exercise, leave it at all zeros. And then choose how much weight you want to lose per week (2 pounds per week if you are truly obese, 1 pound per week if you are 10-20 pounds from your goal weight, and only 1/2 pound per week if you are less than 10 pounds from your goal weight....that's the safe and most long term effectice amounts to lose per week). The system will then determine how many calories you should eat each day to reach that goal, but it will never let you go below 1,200 per day (that's the minimum safe level for everyone). After that's determined, you can follow MFP's standard micronutrient ratios, or adjust them to your liking at the Home >> Goals page. Like I said above, unless you are some sort of elite athlete, or have any specific goals other than general weight (not fat only) loss, about 20-30%-ish protein per day is good....up to 30% fats per day is okay, and the rest can be filled in with carbs.

Also, make sure you are accurately measuring (or more preferable, WEIGHING) your foods.....a lot of times people end up finding out that they weren't losing weight because they were making mistakes in counting their foods thus unknowingly overeating all along. A good food scale can be gotten at your local home store for less than $20. It's a godsend, I swear.

After you lose some weight, do the analysis again, and again after you lose some more....because as your weight drops, so will your caloric needs. Finally, when you get to maintenance, you will have to increase your calories a bit so as to stop losing weight.

Also, don't ever eat less than 1,200 calories NET per day.....that means if you do exercise, burning for example 300 calories, you need to eat 300 more calories that day. This is a hard concept for a lot of people to understand, and there are people all over this site who are more than willing to help otheers out with understanding and implementing it. Just ask.

I personally am currently eating 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats.....because I am following an elite athlete, super FAT (not necessarily weight) cutting exercise program, and that's what it calls for. As I move along in my exercise program, my ratios will change and eventually end up at something normal for maintenance.

I hope this all makes sense, and if it helps just one person, it will have been worth the time.

Cheers!
-Robin :flowerforyou:

(Edited for spelling)

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    thanks for taking the time....
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shefly
    shefly Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the info!
  • KKButter
    KKButter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the info...keeping this in my back pocket for later reading!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for that - really helpful. I totally get what you're saying about accuarate weighing and measuring too. I've invested in some scales for my kitchen and have used them religiously every day. Also it's important to not just rely on the accuracy of the food database on MFP. I've been more careful about checking recently, and found that often info is wrong on the database - probably due to different ingredients in different countries etc. So, I'm being extra careful to read all the labels of everything I eat.

The only thing I'm worried about is the accuracy of the calories it says I've burned doing exercise. Generally the only exercise I log is cycling (which I try to do to & from work each day), and walking. I've just installed a pedometer on my phone for the walking, but I wondered if you knew of a more accurate way to measure calories burned while riding my bike... or is it safe to juat assume that the MFP exercise info is near enough correct?

Many thanks xx
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    bump to read later. thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks for that - really helpful. I totally get what you're saying about accuarate weighing and measuring too. I've invested in some scales for my kitchen and have used them religiously every day. Also it's important to not just rely on the accuracy of the food database on MFP. I've been more careful about checking recently, and found that often info is wrong on the database - probably due to different ingredients in different countries etc. So, I'm being extra careful to read all the labels of everything I eat.

The only thing I'm worried about is the accuracy of the calories it says I've burned doing exercise. Generally the only exercise I log is cycling (which I try to do to & from work each day), and walking. I've just installed a pedometer on my phone for the walking, but I wondered if you knew of a more accurate way to measure calories burned while riding my bike... or is it safe to juat assume that the MFP exercise info is near enough correct?

Many thanks xx
    You make two excellent points that I wish I had thought to include.

1. Yes, be sure that the foods you are adding to your diary are accurate. Basically, if there is no * before the food on the listings, it's a MFP database item and is the most accurate. Generally, you will find non-starred foods to be whole, raw, and unprocessed things. If something has a * in front of it, that means it was added by another user -- so check the information against the label of the food you are actually eating. Make sure you either select an accurante starred food, or find the non-starred whole food, or fix an erroneous starred one, or add a new one if you need to.

2. Heart Rate Monitors. Another invaluable item that can be gotten for not too expensive. I think mine cost $30. This way, you can know much more accurately what YOU are burning, as opposed to the general estimates that the MFP database gives.....which are just that, only estimates meant to cover everyone from a 500-pound man to a 150-pound woman all in one category. A HRM is your best bet to get your personal actual calorie burn related to your current weight and level of effort on that particular day.

(Edited for spelling.)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Ah, a heart rate monitor. I will invest in one. Thanks for the advice. *rushes to eBay* :)
  • veggeslady
    veggeslady Posts: 64
    Options
    bump
  • therobinator
    Options
    ....you truly can lose weight by eating nothing but twinkies, as long as you eat less twinkie calories than you burn each day. In the end, you will feel crappy and sluggish due to lack of real nutrients and sugar highs/crashes, but the calories vs. calories principle still works. So, while WHAT you eat doesn't matter strictly for weight loss (only calories do), WHAT you eat does matter for how you will feel when all is said and done, and it does matter if you need a specifically tailored plan for a specific exercise program or training regimine. So, please don't eat just twinkies all the time. :wink:
    To follow-up on this, I also wanted to say that you truly can lose weight by eating nothing but fat all day, as long as you eat less fat calories than you burn each day....same for all carbs, etc.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    50-30-20 ftw!

Great advice!
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    I don't usually but, finals and prep for graduation (not me just people I know)...so BUMP!
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • Palasade
    Palasade Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I am new to MFP, my sister has been a part of this family for quite a while and she loves it. So she suggested I join and also ask the questions I don't understand, which is partly what you have addressed.
    My first question is, why do you have to eat at least 1200 calories a day? If calories in~calories burned, if you don't eat anything or just vegetables all day and don't exercise wouldn't that be 0 calories in~0(?) calories burned?
    Second, I hear and understand that you have to eat breakfast to get your metabolism going? But how does my metabolism know rather it is breaking down food or my vitamins I take in the morning?
    I have a lot more questions, but I'll start with these two to avoid the possibility of being totally clueless.
  • therobinator
    Options
    My first question is, why do you have to eat at least 1200 calories a day?
    Because when a person eats less than that, it's very hard if not impossible for them to get all the nutrition that they need from that little amount of food. Also, by consistently not eating enough, your body will eventually slow down it's metabolism to prevent itself from starving, and this slow down makes it extremely hard if not impossible to lose weight. Hence the term "starvation mode." It's a real reason why you can see truly fat people who don't eat much -- they are in starvation mode.
    If calories in~calories burned, if you don't eat anything or just vegetables all day and don't exercise wouldn't that be 0 calories in~0(?) calories burned?
    I am not sure I really understand what you are asking here, but if you are eating any food, that's not 0 calories in. If you are alive, that's not 0 calories burned. The human body requires a certain amount of calories (called the Basal Metabolic rate) just to be alive (heart beat, breating, etc). Anything you do on top of breathing and heart beating (like walking, talking, exercising, etc.) requires more calories
    Second, I hear and understand that you have to eat breakfast to get your metabolism going? But how does my metabolism know rather it is breaking down food or my vitamins I take in the morning?
    Because vitamins are not food. They have very very very few, if any, calories in them. The purpose of breakfast is to "break" the "fast" that you experience during the 6-9 hours that you are sleeping. A body needs energy (calories) to live. And that breakfast says to your body each morning: "no we are not being deprived of food, don't go into starvation mode, get up, get moving."
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this thread!
  • ladybug2020
    ladybug2020 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    great info! - bump
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump