Help! I am a sugar AND carb-aholic!!

Options
I know how bad it is but I am totally addicted to sugar and sweets! I try to only have one indulgence a day (3-6 squares of chocolate, etc) but whenever I have cravings that's the first place I go and the same with carbs. I literally gag by the end of my salads if I don't have a carb to go with it.... :(
Has anyone had success cutting sugar and/or bad carbs from their life and what tips do you have?

Replies

• tristamdavis
    tristamdavis Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was the SAME way! I started out very small--cutting out soda and starchy vegetables (something that was easy for me since I'm not a big fan of veggies anyway). I also removed snack cakes and potato chips and fast food. I increasingly took more and more out of my diet, finally moving to bread (the hardest of them all). But getting there wasn't easy. I never felt full unless I ate some sort of high-carb snack. So if you can, at least try to switch breads to 100% whole grain, and add steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon to your breakfast. It will help you keep the full feeling and still give you a little sweet.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Up ypur protein and fat intake (fat in meat, chicken, eggs, olives, avocadoes, coconut) and decrease the amount of bread products you eat. Start small, but start. Try replacing one food item that is high on the glycemic index (a measure of carb load) with something in the same group of foods that is lower in carbs. You crave sweets because that's what high carb intake does to you. If you drink soda, even diet soda, try sparkling water instead. The ones that have fruit or veggie flavorings are sometimes preferred and can get you away from soda. Even diet soda, while not have sugar in it, creates a desire for sweets within your body.
  • el718
    el718 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cravings for sugar are also signs of thirst, so make sure you're staying super hydrated!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Sorry but having been in the same boat but for 40 years and there was no easy solution in my case. I tried to taper off of added sugar and most all carbs during Aug/Sept 2014 but they were in everything. One bite could lead to eating a bag of cookies and a quart of milk.

By Oct 2014 I was still feasting on CARBS and just got so ticked that I just went cold turkey off most all carbs to keep my count under 50 grams a day. The first two weeks were hellish. Then the cravings started to fade. Scales did not move much but I lost inches.

I have lost 15 pounds since the first of Oct 2014 and for the past 6 weeks I have just maintained the loss but am ready to go for another 15 pound loss. I wanted to know my new eating lifestyle was doable for life and it is. Learning to live without carbs turned positive by the end of the first month in my case. Not eating after 5-6PM is doable and was the way I grew up for the most part. I do eat later sometimes like I forgot until just now and had 120 calories of protein. Fats do not bump the Insulin levels, Proteins gives some bump but Carbs really shoots up my blood glucose level. Insulin needs to be low for fat cells to release their contents.

We went out to eat with a group this afternoon. I got a chef's salad and asked for warmed sour cream to control the carbs. It worked out well because it was 240 fat calories and only 4 grams of carbs. Not sure of the grams in the salad but it as not over my carb limit because eight hours later I am still in nutritional ketosis (burning mainly fat vs glucose).

The last time I went I got knocked out of ketosis because I had a grill chicken salad and the chicken must have been soaked over night in high fructose corn syrup. Eating out low carb high fat has a learning curve in my case.

What every diet you use just stick with it. If your cravings get the best of you google low carb high fat and read and watch some Youtube videos. It is not for most people. I knew I was going to have a horrible end to life if I did not ditch sugar and basically all carbs so that was motivation for me.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I know how bad it is but I am totally addicted to sugar and sweets! I try to only have one indulgence a day (3-6 squares of chocolate, etc) but whenever I have cravings that's the first place I go and the same with carbs. I literally gag by the end of my salads if I don't have a carb to go with it.... :(
    Has anyone had success cutting sugar and/or bad carbs from their life and what tips do you have?

No you are not. I really wish people would stop misusing the word addiction.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I used to feel like you. I don't think you need to cut them out. You might do well to stop purchasing and keeping them in the house for the time being. Focus on eating balanced meals with about 1/4 starchy foods (0.5 cups) 1/4 protein (3-4 oz), and 1/2 plate veggies (green leafy, broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, zucchini, etc.) and fruit. And your meals should always have some fat (about 1 Tb), usually it will be in meat or in salad dressing or sauce. Have snacks that include nuts, coconut flakes, fruit, veggies, yogurt. Once you have this good basis to your diet, I think you'll find that you can include sweets in reasonable portions without so much difficulty.
  • celtictiger73
    celtictiger73 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Addiction is a state characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli (e.g. drug, alchohol, sex, shopping, movie, entertainment, food, computer), despite adverse consequences.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The word "addiction" always seems to be used on here and I feel its a way for people to not have to be accountable for their choices. Who doesn't love cookies and chocolate?

I eat low carb/keto. I feel more full and the longer I don't eat higher carbs food, the less I want it. I eat this way because I don't have the discipline long term to limit intake of things that have high carb/higher calorie carb contents. But its not an addiction to these things. I just really like the taste and at the time IDGAF about the amount of calories I ate that day.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    The word "addiction" always seems to be used on here and I feel its a way for people to not have to be accountable for their choices. Who doesn't love cookies and chocolate?

I eat low carb/keto. I feel more full and the longer I don't eat higher carbs food, the less I want it. I eat this way because I don't have the discipline long term to limit intake of things that have high carb/higher calorie carb contents. But its not an addiction to these things. I just really like the taste and at the time IDGAF about the amount of calories I ate that day.

Exactly!!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I suggest you don't look at what I just had for breakfast then... or for lunch... or for dinner... or my snacks...

BUT...

See what' I've lost without avoiding sugar and carbs AT ALL. It's all about making it all fit into your daily calories.

71124836.png

AND...

Please eat foods that you ENJOY. Don't eat foods that make you gag. It's all about eating foods you love and still be able to lose weight. It's not about suffering at all. You want to succeed!! Don't set yourself up for failure.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    join a 12 step program?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Addiction is a state characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli (e.g. drug, alchohol, sex, shopping, movie, entertainment, food, computer), despite adverse consequences.

using this logic everything is an addiction, and there is zero personal responsibility for ones actions/decisions..

• Crossfitjessi
    Options
    Aren't we all?! Sugar is a stimulant. Carbs will process as a sugar in the body.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options

Carbs and sugar are important,your body body runs on glucose.Just substitute chocolate,with non-dairy dark chocolate ,white sugar with brown or coconat sugar and eat more fruit and veggies.Restricting on fruit is restricting on life.Just cut the nasty dairy and meat from your diet and you are good to go and try to restrict gluten if you can (eat more brown rice and whole wheat pasta).Belive me I am vegan for 3 months and I have never felt more positive and happy in my life ! :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Another sugar is the devil thread.

I lost 121 pounds eating in moderation including sugary things.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Carbs and sugar are important,your body body runs on glucose.Just substitute chocolate,with non-dairy dark chocolate ,white sugar with brown or coconat sugar and eat more fruit and veggies.Restricting on fruit is restricting on life.Just cut the nasty dairy and meat from your diet and you are good to go and try to restrict gluten if you can (eat more brown rice and whole wheat pasta).Belive me I am vegan for 3 months and I have never felt more positive and happy in my life ! :)

I would say cut nasty vegetables and go with the awesome tasting meat.

I have been a carnivore for 35 years and I have never felt better....
  • Maridar
    Maridar Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible, same addiction. I had a shortbread cookie and tootsie rolls for breakfast, coffee with splenda... overdid suger by 18 grams or points in the Food count, feeling very guilty...:( Walked for 45 min and have abour 360 cal left to eat but that sugar I think just cancels everything...