How many times per week should I be working out?

Options
Hi, I'm new here, wanted to get some advice on how many times a week I should be working out. My goal is to do at least 4 times per week, anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    A good routing to strive for would be 3 days cardio / 3 days strength training.
  • rdaniels4
    rdaniels4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most "experts" say that we should exercise Most days of the week. That to me translates to 4 or more days a week.
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise 3 days a week and increased it to 7 days a week...now I am back to 3 days a week only cardio, 2-3 days a week strength training with light cardio (like a walk, or dancing).

Start out with something doable and easy to work into your schedule and slowly work up to what you can do. I can't usually make more time than 2 hrs a day max with my "job" (Stay at home Mom), but usually average around 45-60min a day.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight back in September I would shoot for 4-5days/week with 45mins-1 1/2hr workouts. Depending on how long you expect to work out you may need to do small intervals 6days a week, or large intervals 3-4x a week.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It's an individual thing, but I recommend starting with a realistic schedule you know you can stick with whether it's 3 or 6 times per week.
  • tiggr62
    tiggr62 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    On a bad week it's 5 days on a good week it's 7 days 20 -30 minutes each.
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    as long as your body says yes, go for as many as you want. There' s no limit, again, unless your money absolutely is telling you so. Don't let the brain trick you either, that Son of a Gun can manipulate you sometimes, fight it! Cheers!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    A good routing to strive for would be 3 days cardio / 3 days strength training.

But, if you can only get in 4 days per week, then 3 days of strength training, lifting heavy... workout in circuits or do moves that use multiple muscle groups. That will keep the heart rate up. (example, holding dumbbells: do a squat, then come up and do a shoulder press). Then your 4th day can be cario.
  • Kevalyn34
    Kevalyn34 Posts: 40
    Options
    Welcome!!! Glad to have you! I'm not an expert but I do read ALOT about fitness & nutrition. There are a lot of variables I think that go into determining how much you need to workout. Based on my body type, I should do aerobic exercise 5 times weekly & strength training 2-3 times weekly. Something else I read said that in order to show a loss, you need to clock a total of 3 hours a week in aerobic exercise, there was no time stated for strength training, but they do work hand in hand.
  • skelly013
    skelly013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Most of these posts are going to be purely opinions. I personally do a boxing or kickboxing class 2-3 times per week, walk daily at least 3 miles and lift weights once a week. And for those that say that is too little please explain why I am lifting more weight every time I lift weights? Again, all personal opinion and what you have time to do. I suggest trying to fit in at least 30 minutes of a quick paced walk daily and then anything you do beyond that is just great.