Meal Planning/Prep

Options
Hi all,

I want to start preparing my meals in advance to ensure I'm meeting my macro goals. I want some advice on how to plan meals and how far ahead you plan them?

Replies

• 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I only prepare one week at a time. Typically Sunday's are my prep days. I look at what my work schedule is like, whether I'll be traveling, etc. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of reheated meat (unless it has a sauce or something to prevent it from drying out) so I'll prepare everything needed for a meal except the meat and I'll cook that fresh.

Chili, stuffed peppers, stir fry are some of my favorites and are great reheated.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    I plan/make my meals about 3 days in advance. Anymore than that and I find things start tasting like "refrigerator" (which may be in my head, idk)

I start with my proteins, deciding what I want for each meal and how I want it done. This time around I'm doing overnight proats for breakfast, smoothies for post workout, turkey for lunch, and chicken for dinner. Strawberry and apples are cut up for proats then mixed with the oats and milk in Tupperware, then my two kinds of frozen fruit are put into baggies and popped back into the freezer for grab and dump. I'm going to make enough turkey meatballs for 3 meals, then grill up two pieces of chicken and panko coat and pan fry the other.

Then I decide in starches (rice and potates I make ahead, pasta I do not) and veggies.

Package it all up in its respective tupperwear and gtg.

Works well for me.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    So do you plan a whole meal in advance, or do you just prep particular foods and then decide what you are having on the day.

E.g you prep turkey, chicken, rice and potatoes on Sunday, then on Wednesday decide you want the turkey and potatoes. Or do you prep turkey and potatoes because that is the meal you planned to have on Wednesday?

Not sure if I've worded that question particularly well but hope you understand it!
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I personally prepare certain foods about a week in advance. Then the night before I pull from that stash to prepare my lunch for the following day. Had worked great for me. Baggies are my friends.
  • spunmommy
    spunmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So do you plan a whole meal in advance, or do you just prep particular foods and then decide what you are having on the day.

E.g you prep turkey, chicken, rice and potatoes on Sunday, then on Wednesday decide you want the turkey and potatoes. Or do you prep turkey and potatoes because that is the meal you planned to have on Wednesday?

Not sure if I've worded that question particularly well but hope you understand it!

I do a little of both. I make mason jar salads for lunches, about 2-3 days worth as that's all my fridge can manage. I have cooked protein, steamed/sautéed veggies and roasted squash and sweet potatoes. For dinners, I just measure out bits of what's in the fridge and warm it up in a cast iron skillet.

I plan a couple of recipes for the week and have all of the ingredients prepped, for example, this week, we'll have Greek marinated chicken which I'll marinade about 4 batches, throw 2 in the freezer, and grill the other 2. We'll have stew in the crock pot, which makes great leftovers and freezer meals.

On Thursdays we have "Leftover Madness" where I put everything still in the fridge out and you make your own plate. We usually get through quite a bit of what's left leaving me to plan Friday dinner, clean the fridge on Saturday, meal plan then shop, prep and cook on Sunday.

I know this seems like a lot, but I cook everything from scratch......
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I prep a few fairly generic things on the weekend, but plan my meals 1-3 days in advance. This past weekend a made a bunch of grilled, pre-portioned chicken, a bunch of mini-frittatas, and a couple of quinoa salads. Today I'm going to make a big pork roast and portion it out, make a little extra of the quinoa salad, and chop salad veggies. Throughout the week I'll use them as I plan a couple days in advance around whatever else I'm making fresh.

I never plan or prep entire meals ahead, because I never know what I'll feel like eating on any given day. Instead I prep building blocks that can be combined in a number of different ways so I can play with it throughout the week.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My husband works from home so he's able to make most of our meals fresh. However the vast majority of stuff we cook is not terribly labor-intensive. We eat lots of beans, lentils, stir fry, salads, veggie burgers w/ homemade sweet potato fries, etc...and we're big fans of breakfast food at any meal.

What we typically do is think of 2-3 breakfast ideas, 4-5 lunches and 4-5 dinner options. Then we grocery shop for fill-in items to make all of those meals. We really don't keep a TON of stuff on hand in our fridge or pantry because we buy so much fresh food and go off this one week system. I mean, we've got stuff we could make other meals from, but not a ton.

There are usually a few meals each week that we eat elsewhere (dinner once a week with family, Saturdays lunch or dinner out), but for the rest of the time we choose items from our list and have those. I think it might be more difficult for us if we made out a menu ahead of time with the days of the week and meals for each day. It works a lot better for us to just choose from the items on the menu with our tastes/moods and the amount of time we have on hand that day. That way, if something comes up we can just switch from tofu and slow-roasted vegetables to something quick like a dinner salad with crab and chopped egg...this keeps us from being like "oh, guess we'll just grab takeout".
  • m4ndela
    m4ndela Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS keep chopped peppers and chillies in tupperware in my fridge, half my prep done for any meal.
    If I know what I'm cooking I might also pre chop things like butternut squash a few days in advance